How's your 2017 firewood coming along?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still have maybe 8 or 10 cord left that we intended to sell as heating wood this year. No more calls and a pain to get to it now so it will be going for campfire wood next spring. Not sure what happened around here but most people I talk to said they never sold near the amount of wood they did last year. Everybody is whining about hydro costs but they don't want the work of wood. Whatever, I will just sell it to campers. Most of the ash we sold in the fall went to campgrounds anyway but it's a waste of good heating wood. Last years loads were sold to campers and we usually did 3 part dumps at different camping lots in the same campground. I'm sure we'll sell more wood there this year. Trying to get park owner to buy the wood off us but he says he has enough work to do without firewood sales.

Wood Doctor, I'm usually pretty careful doing Google searches. Even innocent searches can send you to **** sites. Then I waste hours there trying to get out and get nothing done.
Last weeks snow storms had me watching wood processor videos for hours. I had plans of cutting my splitter apart and redoing everything, then the storm was over and I realize I already have my hands full doing other crap that needs done.

Spent the last two days cutting and splitting for 2017 syrup season. I prefer to burn soft wood for that because it burns hot and fast and doesn't fill the firebox with coals (no room for coals, gotta keep the wood coming).

I helped a friend of mine who has a tree service do a removal a couple of white pines in November. Finally got around to dealing with it. Got it mostly processed, just need to stack it. Also, I remember now why town trees kinda suck. Took some major life off a full chisel Oregon chain and dulled three more loops over the course of two tanks of fuel :(.

I'll assume we are talking about winter 17-18 ?

If so it's all been split and stacked.

18-19 is in round form ready to be split and stacked once the 16-17 wood has been burned.

I have a detracted garage so I have a years supply stacked on either side of it.

17 done working on 18. I think i will have some of this seasons firewood leftover as well. But you never know what jan and feb will bring. Im gonna cut more softer woods in the future, i dont need to be burning so much oak ,honey locust, hickory in the milder temps.

Got a line on a newly opened area. $10 for a 5 cord permit. Checking it Saturday and hoping it ain't all cottonwood, dog, and box elder!!

2017/2018 wood was split and stacked in Spring 2014
2018/2019 wood was split and stacked in Spring 2014
2019/2020 wood was split and stacked in Fall 2014
2020/2021 wood was split and stacked in Fall 2014
2021/2022 wood was split and stacked in Fall 2015
2022/2023 wood was split and stacked in Fall 2015
2023/2024 wood was split and stacked in Fall 2015
2024/2025 wood was split and stacked in Fall 2015
2025/2026 wood was split and stacked in Fall 2016
2026/2027 wood was split and stacked in Fall 2016

This is assuming burning 5 cord a season. I burned 4.3 cord last winter. I will be, on paper, working on wood for 2027-2028 season this winter.

Good Lord, man you're an overachiever. I thought I was doing good to be 4-5 years or so ahead of the game. I think I have a Freudian type complex now, thanks.

Owl

'17 was done last winter. Got a late start on '18 this season, had a truckload already stacked to burn. There was no room for any more. That got used up recently.

Made a couple slab wood trips thus far, mostly oak and ash. Much of it is too big, too long or both. Stacked what I could, tossed the rest in a pile by the tree for splitting and cutting. The plan is to get that busted and stacked next week. Before the pile gets any bigger. :D

We still have a good 4+ cord of shoulder wood stacked, mostly red maple. It's in the background.

100_0365.JPG

Cut another load of oak today,

standard.jpg

Some of the logs were too big for the 2260's 20" bar,

standard.jpg

But it didn't complain one bit, even in these whoppers,

standard.jpg

Just kicking back now, we will do our Christmas here, tonight.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of my AS friends!

SR

Burning 4 year old oak now. Have 50 cord to hold me over till 2027 with all at least 4 years seasoned when I burn it. Next will be some honey locust when I get it. But I'm kinda in lazy cruise control now. It's a very peaceful feeling being ahead.

Latest posts

Back