kindling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lots of good suggestions here; +1 to those who suggested northern white cedar (aka eastern white cedar, arborvitae), you might be a tad south of the cedar range, but if the opportunity arises, don't hesitate, it's some of the best kindling on the planet. Earlier this year I cut dozens of cedar trees for a log building project coming up next summer, and since they tend to taper from the trunk for a foot or three, I cut the trees as close to the ground as possible and then cut off the tapered "waste" ends and put them in a pile as I went. Once I was done with the log hauling, I made one last trip back out to the swamp to pick all those chunks and carried them all to the truck; results below. Waste not, want not. GEDC2478.JPG

This year I got a Kindling Cracker for a birthday present from LOML. At first, I thought it was a joke. But, I found some 12" to 15" long rounds of very dry, barkless elm with a straight grain and quartered them with my big log splitter (sometimes six to the round). That left behind 4" wedge logs that fit inside the cracker with room to spare. Then I pulled out my 3-lb sledge and whacked away. Lo and behold, I made kindling twice as fast as I could with the big splitter making little ones. They look a lot like Johnny Yooper's.

All you half to do is avoid logs with crotch and knots. Throw those rascals in the stove for fuel wood as is. Now I've also found that my firewood customers love a small box of these sticks as a fringe benefit with each truckload delivery. Three or four kindling sticks with some newspaper and the fire lights easily. People remember things like that.

To date, I imagine I've made over 700 sticks with this cracker. It's going strong.

I use a multiwedge on my splitter, I never have a shortage of scraps. I pick up a bucket or two every now and then and put in the basement. I usually just pull splinters off the splits and scrap by hand, wad up a piece of news paper, throw on some scraps, then some smaller splits and hit it with the lighter. I'll let the stove run wide open until it starts huffing and puffing and then fill with good size splits and adjust the air down. I can get water boiling on top of the stove in about 30min.

lots of good suggestions here; +1 to those who suggested northern white cedar (aka eastern white cedar, arborvitae), you might be a tad south of the cedar range, but if the opportunity arises, don't hesitate, it's some of the best kindling on the planet. Earlier this year I cut dozens of cedar trees for a log building project coming up next summer, and since they tend to taper from the trunk for a foot or three, I cut the trees as close to the ground as possible and then cut off the tapered "waste" ends and put them in a pile as I went. Once I was done with the log hauling, I made one last trip back out to the swamp to pick all those chunks and carried them all to the truck; results below. Waste not, want not. View attachment 545580

That's what I use, only I often have cedar left over from work projects- old siding or trim that's been dry for 60 years or more. Kids split it into little strips like that. Like others, I don't need to kindle a fire in the house because of the Blaze King, but I do need to do it in the shop when I happen to work there (this winter so far about 10 days).

I usually cut up a stack of pruned branches with leaves on them a month or two before winter, leave them in the wood shed to dry out. Its best to cut to size when still green with small loppers or secateurs. I would imagine pine tree would be ideal for you guys. Put them on top of some news paper then some small splits on top, goes off like a rocket and virtually guaranteed to get the fire going. I keep a big box of cut to size dry branches on my back porch and bring it in as required. Just be carful of the needles dropping of when you walk in.
Try it with you xmas tree in a few weeks, you'll see what i mean.

I buy "fatwood" firestarters. I am generally against buying fuel to burn but they work so well. I go through a 20# box per year. Three splits, two pieces of fatwood, one match, instant fire. No paper or kindling required. I have boxes full of kindling laying around, mostly construction scraps. It just isn't necessary with the fatwood. My previous method was a handful of split construction scraps with a propane torch. My inner boy scout is much happier with the one match fire. Even with store bought tinder/kindling.

It makes the perfect gift for your favorite "hard to buy for" wood burner. I got a box for mom and dad for Christmas.

Drier lint is good, plus it generally goes to trash. I can get a lot of scrap 2X4's from work, chop saw them to 6 inches into a trash barrel or 10. Fiskers hatchet easily slices them in 10 real quick. Talking about a hot fast fire, this stuff lights up like nobody's business.

I like to put the 6 way on and take some log cabin log pieces (kiln dried) and run them through a few times, makes a lot of kindling in a short amount of time. I put it in barrels, milk crates, 5 gal. buckets and anything else I can find to store it in. I only use it in the garage stove, the outside stove I keep going all season so only need kindling once there, except for fall, I need t light it on occasion then before the season really starts.

Philbert and other saw chain enthusiasts might like this suggestion. I take the empty mailing cartons that hold a reel of saw chain and use that as a temporary holder of the small split kindling sticks like Johnny Yooper posted -- with one exception. I press the sticks in vertically until the box is wrapped tight. I get more in that way.

When I give away my free kindling to truckload customers, I remove it from the carton and wrap it in bailing twine while doing so. I sometimes stuff a couple more sticks in after removing the bundle from the box so they are wrapped even tighter. The chain reel carton is really sturdy makes a nice sized bundle. I reuse the box until it wears out.

I swear that these kindling bundles have generated an additional sawbuck on the last few deliveries in addition to a satisfied customer.

I use a variety of boxes and totes to hold firewood in the garage, then just bring a box into the house. A few years ago I standardized on a few, certain sized boxes from the warehouse club, so they stack. Smaller ones hold kindling (typically cut with an anvil lopper), or short ends. Larger boxes hold stove sized wood.

Philbert

I have access to a cedar shake mill that disposes of all the scrap via a dump truck. The owner is happy when I show up and offer to remove all the cedar scrap so he doesn't have to haul it away. I usually offer a dozen or two of fresh eggs when our hens are laying well. Sometimes he has spruce scrap from making guitar face wood to sell. Mostly very straight grained wood. That's free as well but not too much is available.

Philbert and other saw chain enthusiasts might like this suggestion. I take the empty mailing cartons that hold a reel of saw chain and use that as a temporary holder of the small split kindling sticks like Johnny Yooper posted -- with one exception. I press the sticks in vertically until the box is wrapped tight. I get more in that way.

When I give away my free kindling to truckload customers, I remove it from the carton and wrap it in bailing twine while doing so. I sometimes stuff a couple more sticks in after removing the bundle from the box so they are wrapped even tighter. The chain reel carton is really sturdy makes a nice sized bundle. I reuse the box until it wears out.

I swear that these kindling bundles have generated an additional sawbuck on the last few deliveries in addition to a satisfied customer.

I just stack big and small in the truck, customer can pick out the small stuff while they stack it if they want.

If you are using pallets be aware that the BLUE & GREEN coloured ones are treated with preservative which when burned gives off toxic fumes probably not enough in a handful of sticks to be a problem but better to know & be aware.

Latest posts

Back