any saw mills giving a way free hard wood slab wood and scrap wood for burning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunny100

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
any saw mills in pa giving a way free slab wood and scrap wood
looking for hard woods only
near lebanon,pa area

From what I've seen on here. People have got truck loads of scrap for a little bit of nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck with that, my compadre. Especially so with primo hardwoods. The local mill charges $20.00 for a 6' pickup bed; load it yourself. They don't give away squat, even the crap stuff like hollow logs they can't mill.

Do some calling around. You may find it free, likely at a lumber outfit that mills mostly pine though.

We used to be able to buy slab bundles from a local hardwood mill. We paid about $25-40/ton plus about $200 for delivery. Had to buy a semi load at a time. It was a great deal, and the wood wood perfect for cooking maple syrup. Just had to cut the bundles in thirds.

Then about 6 years ago they bought a big grinder and now convert all the slab into mulch or animal bedding. :(

Stuff you hope to find being given away seldom is. Like pallets, wood chips, steel drums, even used motor oil. Once Someone realizes they can make money off the item, they have no incentive to give it away. You could try a local small bandsaw mill owner. Until he realizes the scraps are valuable anyways. Trouble is tons of people burn wood so you're secret wouldn't stay a secret very long. Best bet is to buckle down and find and harvest your own wood throughout the year, or buy log length. No such thing as easy or free hardwoods.

looking for hard woods only
near lebanon,pa area
Merry Christmas Gunny.

No offense but dropping in here every 6 months asking for free local hardwood is probably not the best use of you time. You'd be better off to call loggers, tree services, and sawmills in your area.

It's a gunny Merry Christmas and he wants free wood again. Really wonder if these threads have ever netted him any?

Not wishing him any ill, just seems kind of odd to be asking for free stuff from strangers all the time.

When I first started burning (about 30 years ago!), there were ads in the local classifieds for 'bundles' of clapboard for $50 - $70 each, delivered. Nobody could tell me how large a 'bundle' was, so I ordered 2 (price per bundle went down with quantity, and I am a sucker for 'a deal'). Grapple truck came by and dropped them over the fence - each about the size of a Ford Taurus. All hardwood. Most had bark still on. Bought an electric chainsaw and just cut the pieces to length - no splitting. Perfect wood for our fireplace insert stove.

Not sure what current pricing is, and we have EAB restrictions which affect some transporting. But I have seen large piles outside of many small sawmills, if you find one in your area and have a truck or trailer. Also used to live near a pallet factory that had huge piles of 'shorts' - often kiln dried oak and maple, that were rough sawn, dimensional pieces / end cuts. They sold it for something like $15 for all you could fit in your pickup truck (summer months) and $30 (during winter months). Again, this was 30 years ago.

I also know of some companies that are happy for people to come and pick up their pallets, and others that work with pallet recycling programs or companies.

So, I think that the 'trick' is to look around at what is in your area and ask. The more that you can make it sound like you are helping them with their problem, the better chances you have. Leave the pile neater than you found it. Also helps to have a truck or trailer, and to be there in the off season as well.

Philbert

Sure no problem gunny ..Do you need free hardwood delivered to your door also . How bout I cut it to length , split , and stack it for you .. better yet I'll load your stove for you too . Hey With king Barry being evicted from the White House soon , your days of free handouts are coming to an end so you better take my deal while you can !

Saw mill near my brother used to sell a 5 full cord load of tops from there logging operation for $40.00 loaded on your dropped off trailer. I would drop my trailer off on a Saturday afternoon and my dad would watch and pick it up during the week, always a good load of wood. then some one sued that their trailer was damaged so that stopped. They bought a huge chipper and now chip every thing that won't make lumber and sell it to the wood burning electric company by the semi load.

:D Al

Doesnt help you any but there is a sawmill south of me that gives away slabs. Mostly hardwood. Got to do it all yourself. I have got a couple loads from down there. I decided it was more efficient to drop a tree and process it then to spend the time processing slabs.

Only place I've seen that gives away free firewood locally here (WI/MN) is a place that makes flooring for semi trailers. Scrap hardwood pieces, mostly kindling use only, and most of it you would have to feed it by the shovel load into your stove but some people claim to get long burn times out of it in fireplaces/smaller stoves. Think they still give it away, they did stop for a while because the wood buzzards would start swinging fists at each other over it and the city PD got tired of getting called out there every Tuesday and Thursday. Otherwise most places that get things shipped in on wood pallets give away damaged/unusable pallets for free, if the pallet scavengers don't get to them first. Only sawmill in the area only sells bundles of edgings for $20/cord, but that was a few years ago. All the slabwood gets ground up now because the tourists that drove by the mill to the county park/lake nearby complained about the "eyesore" piles of slabwood bundles.

d7e002b21b0180d2511a0e4a7053125c.jpg

sent from a field

Back