How did you guys get over heights

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I train all my ground guys personally. Then I have my head ground guy keep an eye on whoever I'm Taining while I'm up in the tree.
Whoever I have on ropes I trust with my life because honestly they have it in their hands sometimes

I fly a Powered Paraglider so heights don't really bother me. I enjoy climbing and being in a bucket. But I run for my life when I see a ladder. They're about the most dangerous thing in the world. I hung a metal star on the house this evening for my wife. Had to go up 3 rungs on my ladder. Almost got my bucket truck out.

It's already been said but I just focus on what's in front of me. When I used to do large pines everyday I kind of missed out because I didn't take a moment to enjoy the view from the top. Got work done and didn't freak myself out. Also learn to trust your gear. Learn the ratings so you understand how safe you really are. Learn the forces at your TIP so you don't tie into something too small or defective. When you start to grasp this it all becomes pretty fun

So I've been climbing on and off for going on maybe 2 years now. A guy that taught me everything from the beginning, has 20 years under his belt climbing. But I'm curious how any of you guys got over being up that high, like being a little nervous. I'm mean 65-70 ft +

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
It's even worse when the first limb is 40 feet up that's what I had a hard time with. Two half inch flip lines helped me I felt much more secure when going over limbs. Don't get me wrong though anything above 50 or so feet when the tree starts to narrow out still scares the **** out of me. My boss and the other climber would always tell me to just stare right at the tree or looknow out at the view and just relax for a minute, and never get in a hurry, better to get a tree done slowly than to make a mistake and die.

You'll settle down the more you do it. I still get nervous from time to time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Working off a crane did it for me... Im a bigger guy so I don't tie into anything to small.. haha I see some of you guys tie off to suckers.
Trust your gear & your knots.. nothing like alittle extra slack coming out to shake some confidence.

Before I started tree work at age 22, I was hitting ollies with a skateboard down 7-stair sets, getting hangtime off big jumps on a snowboard, and gapping thw wake on a wakeboard. I am an adrenaline junkie by nature.

My first few removals on spikes were unnerving when it came time to notching out the final top, but what I still slightly dislike is spiking down a narrow stem right after dropping/rigging the top out, especially if it's slick or has really tough bark. There is geney not much to hang onto or gain friction from. It's a rush for sure, and I am no longer bothered by looking straight down. Gaffing out at the very top is always a heart-stopping moment haha

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Getting shaken like a chew toy in the jaws of a Rottweiler is far far worse. After the fear subsides, commission of homicide enters my mind. Rage.
Tossing lsundry down the basement stairs sometimes results in the sensation of me falling. Not good.

Getting shaken like a chew toy in the jaws of a Rottweiler is far far worse. After the fear subsides, commission of homicide enters my mind. Rage.
Tossing lsundry down the basement stairs sometimes results in the sensation of me falling. Not good.

Vertigo. It's a *****. Also a decent movie. Get that checked out, maybe by a good ENT. They can help.

Before I started tree work at age 22, I was hitting ollies with a skateboard down 7-stair sets, getting hangtime off big jumps on a snowboard, and gapping thw wake on a wakeboard. I am an adrenaline junkie by nature.

My first few removals on spikes were unnerving when it came time to notching out the final top, but what I still slightly dislike is spiking down a narrow stem right after dropping/rigging the top out, especially if it's slick or has really tough bark. There is geney not much to hang onto or gain friction from. It's a rush for sure, and I am no longer bothered by looking straight down. Gaffing out at the very top is always a heart-stopping moment haha

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Use a lifeline.

I got hit by a hung up top last fall. It busted me up pretty good. My spikes were buried into the tree. I was essentially nailed into the tree. My hand got smashed through the grip on my 201t. Without a helmet and ear protection it would've ripped my ear off. It tore it from my head a little. I was pretty juiced after that. And, I have it on video.

The best way to not get scared while climbing is to not run the damn bucket truck so much!

But really..It gets easier. Honestly after awhile it is a struggle to not get complacent. In the beginning, I had to learn not to overthink things too much.

If you haven't already, try out some SENA bluetooth communication helmets for your crew. We have been running them for a year and a half and the difference in safety and efficiency is amazing! Everyone that has used them with my company agrees that they should be required for tree work.

Easiest way to get over it is keep pushing your limits. Keep yourself on your toes. Soon enough you will be like many on here....addicted to the fear/adrenaline rush.

Latest posts

Back