Husqvarna 550XP....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason280

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been looking for a nice 50cc class saw, something to bridge the gap between my 242XP and 372XP. Hit some of the local pawn shops, and found a deal on a 550XP in pretty decent shape. It's the "newest" Husqvarna I own, so it will take a little bit of getting used to the new controls.

Are they pretty good saws? Better with a 16, or will it reliably pull an 18" bar?

Just the thread I have been looking for. Been thinking of selling 2 saws and getting a new 550xp. How do they compare side by side to a 346xp?

I'm interested in that as well. I know it will have a lot more balls than my 242, no idea how it compares with the 346.

A thread I actually have something to contribute to! Amazing.
My boss just got a 550 used a couple months ago with really low usage. It's a absolutely nice saw. It's perfect for a small saw in my book if you have something bigger for any use above a 18" bar. His has a 16" bar and I have used it buried in hedge and it still pulls well. It cuts faster than the stihl ms 261 that my uncle has. Damn near runs with the ms310 my brother uses is same sized wood. I love the 550xp. Just to small for my one saw plan with the guys I cut with. But we cut a ton of BIG hedge. I'm the gorilla with the 90cc saw.

They are a great saw and will pull a 3/8 just fine stock. Very happy with stock configuration and extremely pleased with the porting work Miller Mod Saws did on mine.

550's will sometimes have a low speed bog and mine wasn't a fan of 32:1 but runs clean on 40 or 50 to 1. There's a video on here somewhere of how to adjust the low speed screw if needed.

I have ran both 16" and 18". It pulls fine with either but unless I am in bigger wood I prefer 16" with .325.

Anyone have a line on replacement captured bar nuts? Local store doesn't carry them, only has standard, and can't seem to find any on eBay.

Back