Owb heat exchanger trouble help please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya junk from the boiler.... and rads don't get along to well.

The tubes are small in automotive rad, the tubes in an actual heat exchanger are 4-6 times as big.

IMG_20170111_093110396.jpg IMG_20170111_093534840.jpg looks terrible I know but I needed heat. I got about $160 in the steel ,solenoid,and thermostat. The rest is stuf I had laying around.

Is the supply to the building from the lower hose on the boiler? If on the upper it could be a source of air.

I would like to thank everyone for their help. The radiator was almost completely stopped up. Idk if I will get another one or a heat exchanger.
If I get a heat exchanger where is a good least expensive place to get one. I want it oversize because at night I turn it way down and want to b able to put out a lot of hot air if when I get to work in the mornings.
The radiator worked good but small holes might be a problem. I can get a brand new radiator for $100

If the water in your system can plug a radiator, then you could never use a plat exchanger. You might want to think about flushing your system before using another radiator. Do you use a Y-screen on your lines? If you have a shut off valve on the line, you can clean the screen and save the radiators.

And a Wye Strainer.

Put a valve on either side of it so you can isolate it, and another valve on the drain valve/screen plug thingie so you can let it flush out without taking anything apart.

With untreated water and an open boiler, you will have constant corrosion going on in the boiler.

also your pump needs to be mounted a little more sold. pumps have a position they need to be in or they will cavitate.

A few years ago I went on Craig's List and found two Red Tagged Forced air furnaces that I got for free. Gutted them and put in a Air type heat exchangers so I use the blowers as furnaces in the garage and the house. I learned long ago that the extra valves and strainers are your friends. I also installed a pressure gauge on the lines so I can tell if I have a bad pump or a blockage in my lines.. The first pic is the furnace in the garage and the last is the set up in the basement of our old home..

Valves02B.jpg FurnRSide001.jpg FurnRSide001.jpg

Back