Modified 660 vs. new 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyKR

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am currently looking to buy a new saw. I have the option to buy a modified 660 (dual port muffler, limiters removed, ported and polished head, new piston and cylinder, etc...) for 3 hundred less than a brand new 661 R. The shop that modded the 660 will give me a year warranty just like on a new one.

Would I be better off buying the modified saw or buying the new one? I've read reviews and reports that state a modded 660 will barely beat a stock 661?

I'm just looking for opinions. The saw will probably be used once or twice a month with a 36" bar since my other saws are well suited to what I cut most of the time.

I have a nice ported 650 that I am sure would run with that 660 that's modded and probably a better price [emoji57] I used a 36" on it primarily. It would pull a 42 .404 if needed. If interested shoot me a pm. Figured you may be if your only running it here and there.

First things first. Is the 660 all OEM, especially that new topend.

That was my question too. A stock 661 is a strong running saw. A ported 660 is great too, but I wouldn't pay $300 less than a new 661 for something that isn't really well done and built with all OEM parts.

This comes from a guy who has had his mitts in hundreds of 660s.
660 is a mule no doubt,it's the toughest most reliable saw I know of but in 10 years we will be saying the same thing about the 661.
I'm porting several 661's now and damn there strong and don't need tuned,are smooth smooth.

If I was logging again it would be the only saw I would have.

Thanks. I actually wound up getting one hell of a deal on a NIB 661, cheaper than the 660.

Back