Stihl 056 spark problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gspringell

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello I have a no spark problem with the above saw fitted with a Sem coil. From my past research, there are no replacement coils, and there are fixes for the Bosch set up but not the Sem. Has anyone any ideas how to get this trusty saw working again.<br /><br />
1506094d8e5db176a25b2acbdd185c32.jpg
04331db177c70da754ffb8bf27977adb.jpg
<br /><br />Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I thought there were replacement coils available on German Ebay. Now cheap but as I understand it they work.
Good luck with your fix.
2stroker

OK, thanks, I will have a look.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes they are $$$ up there a little.Keep the old one,someone will figure a way to fix them.They did with the bosch{Foggysail} thread.That work at foggy did was a grand slam.I haven't done his fix yet my self,but i appreciate the work he did.

Yes, I remember that, want it a diode spliced into the coil or something. I since learned that a mate of mine has been doing it for years, not sure where he learnt it from though. Still doesn't help my plight! How much exactly are the new ones...do you have a link?
Gary

May be more money than you want to put in to it, but you can likely buy a one piece SEM flywheel and switch it to the later SEM like on a Mag II.
Or, you could buy a Bosche flywheel cheap and switch it to the Bosche replacement ignitions on eBay.

I'll admit I have never seen that type of SEM on an 056 and there may be some reason you can't do it. But, switching from a Bosche to a the one piece SEM is a simple matter of switching the flywheel

I have got some old is it TS 350's ? That suffered the old bottom end boogie. Are the flywheels etc transferable to the 56? As I read on some of the forums that they were.

Per service manual the SEM coil should be 0.4-0.5 ohms Primary; 2,700 - 3,300 (2.7K - 3.3K) ohms Secondary.

Same coil as Stihl 041 and 045

So they were fitted with the same sem coil?

I have got some old is it TS 350's ? That suffered the old bottom end boogie. Are the flywheels etc transferable to the 56? As I read on some of the forums that they were.

No, but the ignition itself is provided it is the SEM and not early points type. So, all you would need is the flywheel. Unfortunately they are expensive because people are buying them up for the same reason you are. You can buy the Bosch flywheels for 20 bucks. Not the SEM. More like $100 .

The ts 350 flywheel will not interchange with the 056. There were two SEM ignitions on the ts350. The SEM GE and SEM GA. You have a SEM GE on your saw. Ignition modules are available in the SEM GA. You need 056 1115 400 1208 flywheel for the SEM GA. It is a direct swap. If you want a new module id use one off of a Husqvarna 2100. The husky module is over 100 dollars less but need the wires extended.

Hello, where are you on the planet & how much do you want for one?

Also, did I not read somewhere that the TS 350 could be machined to fit?

If I recall correctly, the 350's hole and taper are smaller than the 056. I believe there is enough "meat" to be able to machine it to fit.
I'm in NE Ohio. $75.00 US plus shipping from 44256 zip code, PayPal.

Check your wiring. The Stihl 056 wants a wire connected to the top right screw holding the clutch cover in place. Sounds goofy (and it is bad design), but it's easy to leave that dangle and then you will have no spark. I've had several come into the shop that way with no spark. Also, the tank housing has to be disassembled to obtain access to the ignition switch (another lousy design). That switch could be defective. I've also run into 056's where the ignition wire that connects the tank assembly to the cylinder head was broken. Check that also.

I believe the last time this saw was manufactured was in 1991.

If I recall correctly, the 350's hole and taper are smaller than the 056. I believe there is enough "meat" to be able to machine it to fit.
Ok, thanks, I will have a look at having one machined out. If that is not successful I will have a look at shipping yours to the UK. I imported a Cat D6D dozer from the US in 2008 when the dollar was €2.20 to the pound, double what it is now. What do you think the shipping costs would be on the flywheel?

Check your wiring. The Stihl 056 wants a wire connected to the top right screw holding the clutch cover in place. Sounds goofy (and it is bad design), but it's easy to leave that dangle and then you will have no spark. I've had several come into the shop that way with no spark. Also, the tank housing has to be disassembled to obtain access to the ignition switch (another lousy design). That switch could be defective. I've also run into 056's where the ignition wire that connects the tank assembly to the cylinder head was broken. Check that also.

I believe the last time this saw was manufactured was in 1991.
Hello, good point, however I did funnily enough, import some spares for the old girl from the US. One of them was a kill switch, as the existing one didn't work, and I have checked that since it stopped working.

Gary

Latest posts

Back