Woods furnace choices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh36

Reaction score
Hey fellers I have a question. I'm looking to upgrade my woodstove. Right now I have a old woodchuck that was made in 1979. It's a good stove but there is a few cracks starting around the base where the door shuts. I was looking at a shelter and a drolet heatpro. My house is about 2000 square feet. I like the idea of the shaker grates and forced air with the shelter. The drolet I love the plenum that comes with it but I don't like the fact it doesn't have the shaker grates and how you scoop out the ashes. I realize prob anyone of them will be a step up from what I have. So my question is which one would be more efficient as far as burn times and heat. I have heard some things about the drolet with cracking issues. And my wood isn't always seasoned. I have neverror had a problem burning it and I have plenty of heat. Would drolet handle some green wood or not. I would to see some options on which stove would be better thanks everyone for the reply

Hi and welcome
I have an old home 2 story 70 percent insulated we have always burned wood. Always split an seasoned though. This last winter we bought a Blaze King Princess I ran it las t winter and this so far. Very pleased . They make a model called the King that may fit your needs . Although it does require an 8 inch flue. Do some research read the reviews and be honest with yourself as to your ability oduce safe seasoned firewood and yourheating needs. Good luck! Jeff

Thanks Jeff I'll into those too. I know there is a lot of stoves out there. Just trying to stay within a budget if possible. I will deferently look them up

They are not cheap but good stuff never is. There are many that may fit the bill for you. You can go to ********** they are a good source of stove information. Many threads many more opinions take each one with a big ole grain of salt do your research you'll be fine.

Any stove will burn green wood. But you'll be battling creosote and if you get an EPA stove, you wont benefit from the technology. I notice a stark difference between 1 year seasoned wood and 2 year seasoned wood in the heat output compared to air input and length of burn.

We have a Hearthstone Heritage 8022 and a Jotul Rockland 550 in the fireplace.

I wondered if the epa stove have problems with green wood. I usually have mine cut a year ahead of time. But sometimes I get behind. I will take a look at those to. Can't have to many options. I have only seen a few a stoves that looked ok but I wanted everyone's opinion cause I know there is a lot of good stoves out there. I have only had this one stove and I'm afraid one of these days it will be burnt out.

Its not that the stove will have a problem with it. They will burn anything just like a regular stove. Where you wont see any benefit in an EPA stove is getting the secondaries or cat to fire off. In order for secondary combustion to take place the moisture level in the wood needs to be below 20%. 10-15 is even better.

Dry wood in an EPA stove will give you more useable heat over the same amount of wood.

Are you talking stoves, or furnaces? Some cross-talk going on.

Which model Shelter?

Of what you mentioned, I think I would go Drolet, and get my wood drier. It really does pay off.

Shaker grates - not really that big a deal unless burning coal, IMO. Although grates might help when trying to burn down a big load of coals, depending on the unit & wood etc... (Said with possible accompanying sound of worm can opening.....)

@Josh36, NSMaple1 is correct there is some cross talk going on. The title of your post says woodstove but you said in the body of your first post that you are interested in furnaces. Some people have not caught that and are making suggestions about woodstoves. Which are you interested in, a free standing wood stove or a forced air furnace?

I was going to buy the Shelter (because of the shaker grates.) add on wood furnace 2013 my self. I didn't get it because Menards the dealer wanted me to pay shipping TO THE STORE and pick it up there.
Screw that trick, went to Home Depot and bought the England 28 3500. No shaker grates on it but it burns the wood so good the ashes are like flour almost and fall thru the grates easily. Shipping to my home was only 50.00 extra too. I am extremely happy with it and every time I drive by Menards I say thank you for trying to screw me. I also burn some wood with a high moisture content, doesn't have a problem with the burn but for my own peace of mind and to get early morning heat I open it up so it burns high enough to dry the chimney.

Lowe's sells the same furnace only a different color and name, Summer Heat.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Englande...100185844?keyword=england+28+3500+wood+burner

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Summers-Heat-3-000-sq-ft-Wood-Furnace/3260227

With both Lowe's and Home Depot you can get a 10% veterans discount on this product with a good VA Id card.
I highly recommend you do an out side burn for the first time on any new wood stove but for the England it really smoked.
I did some mods to mine, there is a plate inside that is held in place with a chunk of metal about the middle that hangs down. I welded 4 pieces of angle iron so it can not get pushed cross hawed trying to get that last chunk of wood in it so it could fall before I did that into the fire and it is heavy. I also made a heavy wire handle in the middle of the ash pan to make pulling it out to empty easier.

:D Al

I was going to buy the Shelter (because of the shaker grates.) add on wood furnace 2013 my self. I didn't get it because Menards the dealer wanted me to pay shipping TO THE STORE and pick it up there.
Screw that trick, went to Home Depot and bought the England 28 3500. No shaker grates on it but it burns the wood so good the ashes are like flour almost and fall thru the grates easily. Shipping to my home was only 50.00 extra too. I am extremely happy with it and every time I drive by Menards I say thank you for trying to screw me. I also burn some wood with a high moisture content some times, doesn't have a problem with the burn but for my own peace of mind and to get early morning heat I open it up so it burns hot enough to dry the chimney.

Lowe's sells the same furnace only a different color and name, Summer Heat.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Englande...100185844?keyword=england+28+3500+wood+burner

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Summers-Heat-3-000-sq-ft-Wood-Furnace/3260227

With both Lowe's and Home Depot you can get a 10% veterans discount on this product with a good VA Id card.
I highly recommend you do an out side burn for the first time on any new wood stove but for the England it really smoked.
I did some mods to mine, there is a plate inside that is held in place with a chunk of metal about the middle that hangs down. I welded 4 pieces of angle iron so it can not get pushed cross hawed trying to get that last chunk of wood in it so it could fall before I did that into the fire and it is heavy. I also made a heavy wire handle in the middle of the ash pan to make pulling it out to empty easier.

:D Al

bought a shelter 26 26 about 4 years ago . I had trouble with the chimney plugging up and had 1 chimney fire, the wood I use is well seasoned . Bought a drolet tundra 2 years ago the creosote problem is more . Miss the shaker grate a little , The drolet sips wood makes for catching up on the wood pile a lot less work . So far no cracking issue

Were you considering the Drolet HeatPro or the smaller Heatmax? The older model Heatmax (Tundra) was the one with the cracking issues, not the HeatPro or the current Heatmax/Tundra. Also, Shelter just Came out with a new "EPA" certified clean burn furnace that initial reports say is a heating beast! Model SF2600 IIRC...Menards is the only place I've seen 'em yet...

Back