575 husky crankshaft bearings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so how many times have you replaced bearings/seal on a 575? There is no seal inboard the pto bearing. the seal is integrated with the bearing, like a standard dust or grease seal.
I don't want to argue with your personal experience as it could be correct as things change and are not consistent thru the yrs on most products.
As I said before I will say it again, mine came out from outside the case and was a straight forward deal. The seal was bought at a local dealer in Grand Rapids and they never asked for any model year info or anything else that could have indicated that the 575 model had differences in them, but as I stated I'm not one to argue with others personal experiences as when I have in the past I was wrong on occasion :).

I have done it a couple times. You can replace the clutch side seal separately.

There is a change on the 576 fw side bearing and seal just saying.
mark-
maybe you didn't read the whole post. it is a question about the bearings, orignal post:

are both bearings the same? never installed them in this model before. any installation advice welcome.

what followed was a ton of bs posted by hombres who'd never popped the hood on a 575. i was only trying to answer the question asked... are both bearings the same? no, one, the fw side is a standard 6502 (or whatever) and the pto side is a proprietary husavarna bearing with an integrated seal. the pto side leaks, ya gotta split the cases, flywheel side, you're in luck. i also noted that the ipl illustration which the local "experts" were using to support their unenlightened statements was fud. 'nuff said.

I don't want to argue with your personal experience as it could be correct as things change and are not consistent thru the yrs on most products.
As I said before I will say it again, mine came out from outside the case and was a straight forward deal. The seal was bought at a local dealer in Grand Rapids and they never asked for any model year info or anything else that could have indicated that the 575 model had differences in them, but as I stated I'm not one to argue with others personal experiences as when I have in the past I was wrong on occasion :).

chipper-

reading your post again, i think i understand what you were trying to say. I think we're in agreement. i just had to decode it.

chipper-

reading your post again, i think i understand what you were trying to say. I think we're in agreement. i just had to decode it.
I'm not so sure about that. I have no idea what size either bearing is or what is involved in removing the from experience, but I'm sure I could get it done if I had to :).
On the 575 (and many other modern huskys) the clutch side seal is integrated with the bearing. that means you have to split the cases if the clutch side seal leaks.
It seems as though you brought it up :rolleyes:, and this is why I said what I did :yes:.

I don't often respond to a post such as this because I don't have the experience or the answer, but I did even though it was clear to me at the time I was not answering the OP's question. I just wanted anyone else who may be doing a search on this very saw to be informed as to the fact that they may not need to replace the bearing or split the cases to change the seal on at least some of the 575xp's.
Hopefully this clears up what I'm saying.
I'm certainly not saying that they all are this way as I have no idea because I only have owned one and only replaced the clutch side seal on one :).
Edit; sorry if I was not clear in the other posts.

I'm not so sure about that. I have no idea what size either bearing is or what is involved in removing the from experience, but I'm sure I could get it done if I had to :).

It seems as though you brought it up :rolleyes:, and this is why I said what I did :yes:.

I don't often respond to a post such as this because I don't have the experience or the answer, but I did even though it was clear to me at the time I was not answering the OP's question. I just wanted anyone else who may be doing a search on this very saw to be informed as to the fact that they may not need to replace the bearing or split the cases on at least some of the 575xp's.
Hopefully this clears up what I'm saying.
I'm certainly not saying that they all are this way as I have no idea because I only have owned one and only replaced the clutch side seal on one :).
Edit; sorry if I was not clear in the other posts.
ah dang!-

i was totally with you until the last sentence:

"I only have owned one and only replaced the clutch side seal on one"

if you've replaced the clutch (pto) side seal on a 570, 575 or 576, you've split the cases. it's the only way to do it because the seal is part of the bearing, like a dust or grease seal. the flywheel side has a conventional seal that can be pried out after removing the flywheel. and you were addressing the op's original question and a few others he posed later in the thread. he wanted to know if the 575 has bearings like other chainsaws. the answer is, "no." the reason husky uses the odd bearing, it seems to me, is to accommodate an inboard clutch.

ah dang!-

i was totally with you until the last sentence:

"I only have owned one and only replaced the clutch side seal on one"

if you've replaced the clutch (pto) side seal on a 570, 575 or 576, you've split the cases. it's the only way to do it because the seal is part of the bearing, like a dust or grease seal. the flywheel side has a conventional seal that can be pried out after removing the flywheel. and you were addressing the op's original question and a few others he posed later in the thread. he wanted to know if the 575 has bearings like other chainsaws. the answer is, "no." the reason husky uses the odd bearing, it seems to me, is to accommodate an inboard clutch.
So how did I change mine then?
I did change the seal(bought it from the local dealer, I remember very clearly as I don't normally do that, also bought 2 new chains that day), and no I did not split the cases.

mark-
maybe you didn't read the whole post. it is a question about the bearings, orignal post:

what followed was a ton of bs posted by hombres who'd never popped the hood on a 575. i was only trying to answer the question asked... are both bearings the same? no, one, the fw side is a standard 6502 (or whatever) and the pto side is a proprietary husavarna bearing with an integrated seal. the pto side leaks, ya gotta split the cases, flywheel side, you're in luck. i also noted that the ipl illustration which the local "experts" were using to support their unenlightened statements was fud. 'nuff said.

No, I read it. You have a couple guys, including me, telling you that the clutch side seal is replaceable, you keep saying it is not.

According to you I must have just imagined that I orderd that seal and replaced it in that Bearing.

Whatever.

No, I read it. You have a couple guys, including me, telling you that the clutch side seal is replaceable, you keep saying it is not.

According to you I must have just imagined that I orderd that seal and replaced it in that Bearing.

Whatever.
mark-
pull off your clutch. try to find a seal. there ain't one, just a bearing. remove the flywheel and take a look. you'll see a conventional bearing, conventional enuff that you can buy one at your local bearing supply. normally i would post fotos, but it's too cold to toddle down to the shop.
peace

Here is the inside of a 576.....I haven't split a 575 but have done a few 576's....but the pto side bearing on the 576's had an integral seal. I suspect with care it could be removed and replaced....but its not like the separate seals of old like the 372's... It's more like the 390's and 562's

Do you have those bearings that were replaced accessible? If the cage is ripped apart, the balls all pushed to one side the bearing can be dis assembled. And inspected. Do you think it was just some tree fragment in there or have chips come off the race or balls.

Whatever.
Thanks Mark, I didn't want to say it again.

Do you have those bearings that were replaced accessible? If the cage is ripped apart, the balls all pushed to one side the bearing can be dis assembled. And inspected. Do you think it was just some tree fragment in there or have chips come off the race or balls.
I eventually did tear them apart, it was the clutch side bearings "cage" beginning to disintegrate. For what ever reason it looks like there was a lot of carbon baked on both bearings making the flywheel side really rough but was actually damaging the cages on the PTO side...that's as far as I got...then tossed them.

so how many times have you replaced bearings/seal on a 575? There is no seal inboard the pto bearing. the seal is integrated with the bearing, like a standard dust or grease seal.[/QUOte
If I've worked on one, it evidently is more than you have worked on because I understand the way the bearings and seals are in that saw, Myself and others have tried to educate you on that fact but you evidently know more than everybody else. But, I'm going to try once more. The PTO side bearing, when you buy it, comes with a seal installed because in my experience what usually happens with that series of saws is that the bearings go, therefore you split the case and replace them. But if the seal itself leaks and the bearing is still good you can replace the seals on BOTH sides. The diagram is correct - separate seals.

here is what i wrote:

"if you've replaced the clutch (pto) side seal on a 570, 575 or 576, you've split the cases. it's the only way to do it because the seal is part of the bearing, like a dust or grease seal. the flywheel side has a conventional seal that can be pried out after removing the flywheel. and you were addressing the op's original question and a few others he posed later in the thread. he wanted to know if the 575 has bearings like other chainsaws. the answer is, "no." the reason husky uses the odd bearing, it seems to me, is to accommodate an inboard clutch."

here is what sugarbush wrote:
"
If I've worked on one, it evidently is more than you have worked on because I understand the way the bearings and seals are in that saw, Myself and others have tried to educate you on that fact but you evidently know more than everybody else. But, I'm going to try once more. The PTO side bearing, when you buy it, comes with a seal installed because in my experience what usually happens with that series of saws is that the bearings go, therefore you split the case and replace them. But if the seal itself leaks and the bearing is still good you can replace the seals on BOTH sides. The diagram is correct - separate seals."

we are saying the same thing.

regarding the illustration, the crankshaft is backward. the sealed bearing is shown on the flywheel (tapered) side whele the conventional 6205 with separate seal is shown on the threaded (pto) side. at one time, a few years ago the illustration showed seals on both sides but husqvarna corrected that.

yep, mark, some guys ya just can't tell them much. some guys have problems reading plain english and engineering drawings.

by the way, you can increase the longevity of the troublesome bearings on these saws by using 40:1 mix. the problem is that the case stuffers cover the bearings and limit their exposure to oil.

peace guys.

mark-
pull off your clutch. try to find a seal. there ain't one, just a bearing. remove the flywheel and take a look. you'll see a conventional bearing, conventional enuff that you can buy one at your local bearing supply. normally i would post fotos, but it's too cold to toddle down to the shop.
peace
I'm not understanding all this.
"if you've replaced the clutch (pto) side seal on a 570, 575 or 576, you've split the cases. it's the only way to do it because the seal is part of the bearing
But if the seal itself leaks and the bearing is still good you can replace the seals on BOTH sides.

Would you like me to hand you a shovel or a pick :popcorn2:.

Hey Duke, You can solve this mystery yourself, if you look at the complete IPL for that saw. The seal for that flywheel side is in another diagram. If you do a little research yourself, you will understand it a little better. If you simply split that case in the past, and just replace the bearings, the seal on the PTO side would have come inserted in that bearing and would have assumed the case had to be split just to fix a seal leak. That seal is a rubber coated seal and can be replaced from the outside.

“But if the seal itself leaks and the bearing is still good you can replace the seals on BOTH sides."
chipper-

what you quoted above is not from me, its from sugarbush. check a few posts above, typical, it doesn't make much sense. you should be more careful. really i don't want you to hand me anything., but thanks anyway.

cheers

Hey Duke, You can solve this mystery yourself, if you look at the complete IPL for that saw. The seal for that flywheel side is in another diagram. If you do a little research yourself, you will understand it a little better. If you simply split that case in the past, and just replace the bearings, the seal on the PTO side would have come inserted in that bearing and would have assumed the case had to be split just to fix a seal leak. That seal is a rubber coated seal and can be replaced from the outside.

thanks for the input, don't need to do any research. i've done the job several times. the flywheel side seal is shown in two different ipl drawings, one for the case and another for the crank. but since you're so well acquainted with this subject why don't you give us some advice on splitting the cases and removing the bearings without damaging the crank stuffers? it isn't that hard, is it?

“But if the seal itself leaks and the bearing is still good you can replace the seals on BOTH sides."
chipper-

what you quoted above is not from me, its from sugarbush. check a few posts above, typical, it doesn't make much sense. you should be more careful. really i don't want you to hand me anything., but thanks anyway.

cheers
It appears I've dropped my shovel if I misquoted(which I did), could you please hand it back to me now, but only for a moment then you can have it back.
Regardless I was able to change the seal without splitting the case.
Also I only misquoted part of it.
It seems as though now you are saying the same thing, but that is not what you were saying earlier.

So if I'm correct now you are saying very clearly that you can change the seals on both sides of this family of saws without splitting the cases.
As I stated I've never split the cases and have only replaced the seal on the clutch side so that is as far as my experience goes. Hopefully someone can make it thru the nonsense and find the truth, or as I ended up doing after wasting much time I just tore into mine and figured it out. So much for trying to help, maybe next time :).

Latest posts

Back