Bonfires

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really Good Guess! And Very Close! But not exactly. Although I have actually been there with the garbage bag(s) and acetylene, and just the right mix of oxygen, many years ago. The resultant complaint call came from a small town five miles away. Five law enforcement agencies responded to the call. The FBI interview was intimidating, but since there was no malicious intent and no property or personal damage no charges were filed.

No, I consequently went to a smaller scale and a slightly more stable mixture. After that experience and after two oxy-acytyl garbage bags detonated in my hands due to static electricity I scaled down to party balloons filled with oxy-propane. And, I notify the neighbors beforehand so that I don't unnecessarily surprise anyone.

It is startling to the unsuspecting spectator, but surprisingly harmless, given good hearing and eye protection. There is a lot of Energy in sound and light, but because there is no Mass or Containment there are no projectiles and the energy dissipates within four feet. Louder, but Safer, really, than common aerial fireworks, which have less total energy but more mass and tighter containment.

Still have to be Very Careful about Static Electricity in the inflation process though! Ask me how I know. The beard having been carefully preserved in the last several years by maintaining a discreet distance during the inflation and detonation processes.

I do both. For a small fire, what I call a "Camp" fire, late at night, when most of the folks in the subdivisions are asleep in their beds, a garbage bag of pure Acetylene or Propane has a nice, quiet effect. But around New Year, my friend, when most folks in the subdivisions are enjoying their little bottle rockets, I like to earn a little Respect!

Another nice cool weekend in SE Louisiana, and the Power Line Clearance Crew has made plenty of pine available along La-22, so we had another Wonderful evening of entertainment with Live Music and No TV and No Video Games.

I calculated the volume of wood we burned on this thing and I almost wish I had not done that. We burned about 250 cubic feet of wood Saturday night. Just short of 2 cords. It was mixed pine and hardwoods, but think I could probably have sold it at one of two nearby state parks for a couple hundred a cord.

Still, I entertained 12 guests and myself from 6 PM until 1:00 AM. Say I invested $425 in wood, chili, wine and beer. What is that, about $5 per person per hour? What does a movie cost these days, I don't even know. Last movie I saw was Jurassic Park. The 'Cajun Dance in Abita Springs, my other favorite entertainment, is $10 for two hours of live band and good dance music not including supper and beer. That's a pretty favorable comparison.
01_29_17.jpg

Back