this warm weather sucks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As cold as it was this past Dec and first part of Jan, my wood stack is really holding up well. Another month with 1/2 my stack still available, and the warmer weather should be coming on. Just less work for me in the spring time getting ready for next winter. Now that the puppy (user picture) will be a year old, we gots mountains to explore, f'the wood. :)

Still got plenty for this year. Sooner it all melts off, the sooner i can start cutting again.

Unable to cut(too muddy), I was able to split and stack 2 full rows in the woodshed yesterday. Getting a head on the spring chores. It's not that I need to cut any more, I just "NEED" to do it!!!!

We cut yesterday and today in a flanel.
It was nice and got a couple loads of hard maple for my buddy.
It was good weather to be roping down a city tree. Next trip we can do teh trunk and should get about 3 more loads.
Chad

I've been swamped at work with staffing shortages for over a month now and my family and woodpile have paid the price. I'm not going to lie. This warm spell has been a blessing here in Ohio. Let the fire go out 4 days ago and let the heat pump kick in. Finally got a day off today and as much as I like cutting wood...when it's 63 Degrees F in Ohio in January you have some fun! Sorry I didn't take pics but we shot hoops, played baseball, shot cans with my new Christmas toy beretta .22 arx and even shot off a couple model rockets before the boy's 5 o clock elementary school basketball game. Good day. I'm still burning wood... a rare January campfire pic to round out the night:
image.jpg
A January thaw was welcomed here!

Has warmed up to 5* thankfully, though have had about 2ft of snow over the last couple days. I'm still burning wood left over from last year (so 3 years old now)

IMG_3388.PNG Valley, is that a negative sign in front of your 28 degrees there? Brrr! The wind switched to from the north here so we'll be dropping here too shortly. We were in rare shirt sleeves today. My daughter did send me a pic from one of our failed launches so here it is for your enjoyment. I may be a lab scientist and a wood hillbilly, but I'm definitely not a rocket scientist! Shoot ejection fail at apogee. Houston...we have a problem.

Unable to cut(too muddy), I was able to split and stack 2 full rows in the woodshed yesterday. Getting a head on the spring chores. It's not that I need to cut any more, I just "NEED" to do it!!!!

I'm with you there. I still have 1 1/2 cord to cut/split. Temps been above freezing for 4 days now but the ground is still forzen. It was starting to get a bit gooey today. Temps mid 30s, low teens for a week, it may still be workable. I do all my splitting by hand, splitter only sees the tough stuff or if the 'to be split pile' gets too big.

I cut wood just to cut it. Have around 80 cord in the stacks, I cut willow to clean groves for farmers, don't charge anything, just to be out thee with the saws. Mix willow with locust 50/50 and sell the suplus willow each year. Stillshocks me that people will pay $120/cord for that stuff. Sold about 12 cord last year.

View attachment 553162 Valley, is that a negative sign in front of your 28 degrees there? Brrr! The wind switched to from the north here so we'll be dropping here too shortly. We were in rare shirt sleeves today. My daughter did send me a pic from one of our failed launches so here it is for your enjoyment. I may be a lab scientist and a wood hillbilly, but I'm definitely not a rocket scientist! Shoot ejection fail at apogee. Houston...we have a problem.
-28 C is - 18 F ....yeah, uh, that's pretty cold. Willing to bet not much motorcycle riding going on in VF's neck of the woods.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Yeah -28F... was colder, just all I got a pic of. Had a high of -18* that day. I worked all day, wasn't too bad. Came inside a couple times to thaw out my face mask though.

It's -12 now.

Fairbanks was -55*

Celsius wouldn't make sense... im in America. Plus it's reading 68* indoors, that would be like 155* F!

Spent a bit yesterday snowblowing trails in the yard for the dog and to get the tractor back there to get wood from the racks. Snow is getting pretty deep.

There are trucks -- even 4-wheel drive -- getting mud stuck in the state parks and calling tow trucks to pull them out. The ground has thawed almost a foot deep in spots. Ice fisherman have called it quits. Chimney draft is very low. They say next week it will change back to winter. February could be colder than January has been. So far, I have not even started my 10 Hp 2-stage snow thrower.

This warm weather would be just my luck... This past fall I sold the pellet stove and got a NC30, cut with my 455 and hand split 5 cord. The last week its been hovering around mid 40s to 50s so I really haven't been burning.

Two months ago I picked up a used 25 ton Countyline splitter and last week I picked up a 2001 372xp. At the rate this weather is going I'll be lucky to have burned 2 cord by spring so I won't have much cutting to do..

It hit 40 below last week and low -31. Its a balmy minus 5f now and will be 36f by this friday. No mud here till June.
You are going to be above freezing this week in the middle or in late January? That's incredible. I cannot ever recall this happening where you are located. Not to mention that in mid-January, 1982, the high temperature in Omaha, Nebraska never exceeded 10 degrees below zero F for three straight days.

Latest posts

Back