Makita/Dolmar Future

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddogrunner

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I visited with my local dealer this past weekend to get some service for another saw and was mentioning I want to trade up for a "real" stumping saw and get rid of my 310 Stihl. I had wanted a Dolmar 6400, but he mentioned something that my blood go chill. Now that makit a is taking over they plan to do away with their north of 50cc saws. Makita only wants to make home-owner grade and below type. There are Dolmar saws out there that can be had that are the upper level models, but Makita will not be making parts for those saws any more. I am so sad. I had my heart set on one of those saws but am very worried that if I buy one I won't be able to get parts. I love my 421 and 5100, but they are 50cc or below. Anyone else hear anything about this? If it's true, then I am on a hunt for a saw to pull a 24" bar.

That's why I always do my homework. I am checking here before making a buying decision. Still waiting to see more feedback. I LOVE MY DOMARs. I refuse to believe a product that good would just fade away..... Maybe they don't sell enough of them to make it worth it. Who knows.

Makita is not going to kill their 60-80cc saw line and give those sales back to other competitors... tell your dealer to quit blowing smoke!

I've heard faint rumblings about their new saw line they have in the works... [emoji16]

That's why I always do my homework. I am checking here before making a buying decision. Still waiting to see more feedback. I LOVE MY DOMARs. I refuse to believe a product that good would just fade away..... Maybe they don't sell enough of them to make it worth it. Who knows.

Once they solidify their parts distribution under Makita I have 100% confidence that they will be doubling down to take a bite of Stihl and Husky's sales...

Acme tools has a makita tool license so parts and saws can be bought through them as well as local dealers. I haven't checked with Home Depot's to understand their end yet but would assume parts are at least available through them since they would need them for their rental makita's.

Anyhow it looks like I'm blowing smoke now! LOL... makita isn't going anywhere but up in the power equipment world. Now if we could get EPA to back off the emissions standards for itty bitty engines and spend their time on bigger fish like coal power plants we'd have something!!!!

they have been making them too good, and are not profitable enough. Unfortunately this is what happens, big business has to keep making more or they crash and burn.
Here is a makita/Dolmar success story. I found a DCS520i in a pawn shop It must have been 20 years ago, it was ugly, dirty and had duct tape wrappings holding stuff together it looked like. Whep I pulled the cord the compression seemed real good had a good pop to it thats how I checked it in pawn shop. For $120 I gave it a new home, I used it for about 6 years around my grandfathers farm and then lost the shack where I had stayed at there. It sat in a shed for 12 years. I went and got it 2 years ago, took it to my new place dumped out the old gas, put fresh fuel/oil in it. On the third pull it was running, not just running but screaming. Every time I go to start it three pulls is the most it ever has needed. put a file to the chain and this thing just keeps cutting. Its kinda like the energizer rabbit. This saw just keeps getting better and better. The only things it ever needed is fuel, oil, air filter, bar and chain.

He is the one who told you, but its doubtful he started it. Most likely heard it from someone else, who heard it from someone else, etc, etc.

He is the one who told you, but its doubtful he started it. Most likely heard it from someone else, who heard it from someone else, etc, etc.
Or he makes a lot more profit per saw off his other brand or needs to move extra units to hit a sales incentive.

I worked for a boat dealer and he'd push a not to be named here brand because margins were so much better than Lund, Alumacraft, or Crestliner. But if the client wants those brands and you won't sell them then the guy down the street will.

Local Dolmar dealer to Norwich would be Shoestring Repair.... He is not even a Dolly dealer anymore and wasn't a Dolly dealer for very long before the switch in distribution.

I wonder why he would be spreading false rumors about a brand he used to sell and hasn't been a dealer for in over a year????

I was hoping to keep the name of the business off the post. They do a great job of repairing my equipment and I am not interested in them receiving bad press about this. What I was wanting to know is if the rumors were true. Sounds like they are not. Thanks guys.

I was hoping to keep the name of the business off the post. They do a great job of repairing my equipment and I am not interested in them receiving bad press about this. What I was wanting to know is if the rumors were true. Sounds like they are not. Thanks guys.
they dropped dolmar when Makita took over distribution....that was October of 2015. Even before that they were a tiny tiny tiny dealer that only sold dolmar for a year or so. Their knowledge of the brand and its inner workings is limited at best and giving out such bad info deserves being called out.

I disagree F150 - and IMO you are seriously affecting my buying decision. You may be an awesome dealer, but bashing another dealer/service business is no way to promote your own. Shoestring has never, ever done me wrong on service. I see no reason to say the things that you do. They may not have sold many saws, but they do a TON of service on all makes and models. Again, I was merely fact checking and not creating a means for you to bash another business.

Back