Identify this Stihl saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lkappes

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
View attachment 555220

Hi everyone!
I am new on this site, but I have been bouncing around and learned a lot already. I bought my father a farm boss about 10 yrs ago to replace his old stihl as it was quite a bit lighter and easier for him to use. He loved the new saw but didn't know what to do with the old (stihl) saw so he gave it to me so I would have one for miscellaneous jobs. Little did I know this thing was a beast. For someone who was willing to yield the weight, it cut faster than most newer saws I worked against doing firewood and such. I have cut firewood (think Montana) most of my life, etc., but I am no where near an expert with older (or any) saws as far as make and model compared to the experts here. I am hoping to learn and contribute a lot.

Some background: So I have ran this saw for 10 yrs with just regular maintenance, but I loaned it to my professor for a weekend and ... ahem ... it has a gas leak now. Even though I provided a second sharpened chain, he didn't sharpen the existing or change to the sharp chain; after about 4 cords it was pulling to one side (think nails) and he kept cutting. He mentioned some severe vibrations while cutting, but nothing like a "borrowed saw" that still (stihl) out did newer saws. Obviously, this is my own fault. With that said, over the years, this saw has gained significant sentimental value to me and I am interested in restoring this saw to good working order. I took it to a reputable saw shop and they gave me a new gas cap in hopes that would help, but told me anything beyond that wouldn't be worth it. "Might as well buy a new saw." I totally understand that makes sense, but I believe someone on here might at least be able to help me identify this saw and also might understand the value of the saw to me, as it was my fathers.

So here I am! I realized others have similar goals as I do. Anyway after the long winded message, my saw has always ran so well I never needed to know anything but the minimum info to keep my saw running. Now, with a bit more maintenance required, I realize I have no idea what this saw actually is!

If the experts on this site can help, I could upload some pictures of the saw to see if we could figure out the model of the saw. What do you think?

Stihl 056.
images

IMG_2691.JPG Wow thanks for the quick reply! I was thinking the same (056) but is my handle a bit odd? Sorry forgot to post this picture.

Thanks for the info! Any idea of the year? And I can figure a 056 with a full wrap?
First off .welcome to AS. pretty sure it is a 056. i have been researching that model as i acquired one about a month ago. there were a lot of subtle changes in models. i'll try and get you some more info shortly.

045 was made 1974 - 1980
056 1980-1985

Or just measure the cylinder bore to see which model for sure you have... take muffler off and stick a soft measuring rod (i.e. pencil etc) to the far end of the cylinder and turn it over a little to dimple it and measure end to end in MM and let us know the bore width and we can tell you for sure. There are 3-4 different bore diameters depending on which model it is...

Or just measure the cylinder bore to see which model for sure you have... take muffler off and stick a soft measuring rod (i.e. pencil etc) to the far end of the cylinder and turn it over a little to dimple it and measure end to end in MM and let us know the bore width and we can tell you for sure. There are 3-4 different bore diameters depending on which model it is...
045/056 shared the same bore sizes as well, except for the 056 Mag II.

although some #s have changed you can look at the handle frame part #.yours appears to be an older version as it doesn't have the thumb guard along the on/off switch. the 045 #was 1115-790-4900. it did not have the guard on it. the o56 old #was 1115 -790-5600. the new 056 # with the guard on it is 1115-791-4901. it does't appear that your saw has a chain brake on it which 1 model of the 045 ave super did not have and on the 045 av it was optional. here's a pic of the later version 056 handle cover with the thumb guard.
001-lg.jpg

@Lkappes. i would just clean it up and put it on a nice blankie on a shelf.:) most engine parts are hard to come by although your saw looks complete except for the handguard. let me know if you need any more info on that saw.

I think that might be good advice! I will look a bit more into some of the info provided on here and see what I can figure out to at least satisfy my curiosity if nothing else. Thank you all for the much needed information!

although some #s have changed you can look at the handle frame part #.yours appears to be an older version as it doesn't have the thumb guard along the on/off switch. the 045 #was 1115-790-4900. it did not have the guard on it. the o56 old #was 1115 -790-5600. the new 056 # with the guard on it is 1115-791-4901. it does't appear that your saw has a chain brake on it which 1 model of the 045 ave super did not have and on the 045 av it was optional. here's a pic of the later version 056 handle cover with the thumb guard.

I did end up investigating a bit further. I just love this saw. Anyway the serial number on the handle was "91115-791-4900", so this is likely consistent with the 045.

I also measured the cylinder, after I pulled the muffler. It measured 54mm.

I am starting to think this is probably an 045, based on the handle number, and thinking my dad got this used in the late seventies. Does the bore size help with ID at all?

Thanks all!

Back