Ms290 why do so many hate it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a 029 used that heated my house for 10 years. I had it and a 066 and didn't know why I would ever need another saw. Then I found this forum.

I sold the 029 because I had accumulated a bunch of saws and I wasn't using it. Like I said it heated my house for 10 years before I sold it. I sold it for more than I paid for it.

Bob

I had an MS290 for a season, it was a good saw. I had a chance to sell it and make a good buck on it so I did. I kept the Stihl case it came with and picked up an MS260, it has more power so it cuts quite a bit faster and it's quite a bit lighter. I'm going to get an MS360 or MS361 when I find a nice one at the right price.

It isn't that people "hate it", it is that there are better, lighter, faster saws out there in the same size range. Problem is that the better, faster, etc cost considerably more. My MS310 is about wore out. If I were to replace it, I'd look at a 390. Been cutting firewood at 10 cord plus since 1976, many saws under the bridge since then, most of them well used when I got them.

It isn't that people "hate it",

Naw, some people hate them. Like this little creep.... (and he WAS talking to a Stihl MS290...)

f5ae1b8b2980d64de22ecee616d1277a73d35c21833e33b7e5646b5cbf84463f.jpg

So here's a question for you. Along with other saws, my son and I have an MS290 with about 10hrs on it and a 562XP with ~100hrs on it. We're going to let one go but undecided as to which one. Which one would YOU keep?

Well I know nothing about the 562xp but I'm sure it's a more efficient saw than the 290. I'd take the stihl just cause I have had bad luck with my husky 450. I know they are not of the same level of saw but it's made me not want another one. I can cut all day with the stihl and never mess with it. The husky I'm all messing with it I think I finally got my oiler situation fixed though.

I own a MS291 and a 044.
Bought the 291 new and the 044 used.
The 291 has cut tens cords over two years and 044 is used for large logs and some felling.
Love both saws for different duties.
I'm not a saw snob.

I have had many different makes of saws, Homey (old, professionL), Poulan (professional), Husky, Johyred, now I am all stihl for one reason. Inboard clutch. When the others switch to that I'll look at them but not until then.

I get that a 360 is a great saw but it's also a pro saw and at least 200 more for a used one

In my area that's not the case. The 290s command a very high price used. It's not uncommon to see one going for $300-375 on Craigslist here. 036s are in the same price range. 361s start right around $400. 026s and 260s are in the same range or less. New, yes pro saws are quite a bit more. Used, however, they're much more reasonable.

In my area that's not the case. The 290s command a very high price used. It's not uncommon to see one going for $300-375 on Craigslist here. 036s are in the same price range. 361s start right around $400. 026s and 260s are in the same range or less. New, yes pro saws are quite a bit more. Used, however, they're much more reasonable.

Ya, this here too. Checking out used, 290s seem to be at least as much as 036/360s are. Can't explain that one. I got my 360 used about 3 years ago. Got it at a good price, and it sure looked well used - no illusions there - but it has worked great for me. I just put a new slightly bigger B&C on it as soon as I got it, and it's been solid. Except the stupid air filter cover sometimes doesn't want to stay on - the little lever holder thingie has some slop in it.

But I would also consider a used 290 - if one showed at a decent price.

Several of my neighbors have MS290s because they don't know any better. When ever we have projects which is often they bring out these untuned beasts with a brutally dull chain. It is just sad trying to watch them. Over the years we have taken out over 200 red pines and burned them because they have become unsightly. Finally after years of offering one gave me his chain and I ground it for him and he couldn't believe how it cut.

But I would also consider a used 290 - if one showed at a decent price.
Got mine sight unseen for $100 and it gets used more than any other saw I have. It starts easily every time and has never given me a lick of trouble. It's rare for me to cut more than a tank or two of fuel at a time so the power, weight, and vibration are not a huge consideration for me. My 034AV Super is a better saw and has surprised a few homeowners with how well it cuts compared to their dull (insert cheap box store saw name here). That mostly has to do with the chain rather than the saw probably.

People hate on the Ms290 series because they are a giant PITA to work on comparatively to say a husky 55/61... saws used to be and some still are really easy to work on for exchanging parts and regular maintenance... the guys that have to repair them don't want to spend 30mins on break down and cleaning to get to the cylinder is what it comes down to. Also they are a little big for their power in the 029/290 line. Speaking of which there will be a new 49mm AM kit out soon with a pop up piston built in for more power... [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally after years of offering one gave me his chain and I ground it for him and he couldn't believe how it cut.

Everybody goes thru this process. It's a boiling frog thing. As a chain slowly goes dull, the expectations decrease, till finally the entire saw is a just a POS and becomes a dust collector. Only when you start to cut for a living (to stay alive/warm), do you think hard about what is going on and seek solutions.

My brother bought a MS290 in 2005, used it for 6 years, cut a lot of wood, but had problems with the saw. In 2011 I gave him an older husky 353 & he has not picked up to Stihl since. He loves that little Husky & now has a 359 for his large saw. :D

I have had many different makes of saws, Homey (old, professionL), Poulan (professional), Husky, Johyred, now I am all stihl for one reason. Inboard clutch. When the others switch to that I'll look at them but not until then.
In nearly 40 years of chainsaw runnin (I started young) have only had one saw with inboard clutch, a Husq 372xp.
Much prefer outboard, but neither is wrong...

Latest posts

Back