Does owning a dump trailer make financial sense

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your biggest problem will be answering to the people who want to borrow it all the time! I have a 14' 15k and you will need a 1 ton to pull it, I prefer my buddies 12' . Wouldn't be without it.

Thats why I put a lunette ring on mine. Coupled with having a class 5 hitch with 2.5" receiver and people don't even ask.

Getting a gooseneck will help with the borrowing too. Plus they trail better in my experience.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

I have a 6x12 and wouldn't want to be without it. I hauled a load of pine straw, leaves and pine wood from a rental property today. (probably about 3 tons of debris.)
I have a 2 5/16" bumper pull set up on it and pull it with a 3/4 ton truck. I have 8 trailers (all different) and this is one I wouldn't want to be without. It's a heavier duty version and I bought it used. I've found that if you can get by with a lighter duty trailer, new is the way to go. On the heavy duty ones, there's more discount for them being used. (just the market, people say, well shucks, I can buy a new one for that but they aren't comparing apples to apples)
They do retain their value pretty well so don't feel like you have to amortize the entire cost over a period of time, it will always have a good residual value. ie, pay $5000, use it 10 years and sell it for $3000... It's a tool. A person needs tools to get their work done. I personally feel that a dump trailer is a better value than a dump truck unless you are going to be using it all the time. (think camping trailer vs motorhome) There is very little maintenance when it's not being used. Tires and lights are the biggest issue. (as with any trailer)

I never haul aggregates in the dump trailer. Just doesn't pay, I hire a dump truck company to bring gravel, sand, stone, etc. It's great for firewood, debris, brush, chips, etc. I also use it to haul scrap steel from time to time (once or twice a year). I have ramps but never use them. I have flat bed trailers for hauling equipment.

If you only have use for it hauling firewood you can get about 10 years of wood delivered for the same cost let alone all the work cutting wood etc.
it won't really pay but if you do odd jobs and need it for other stuff it may have some utility for you.
If you get adump truck/trailer I would think people would be borrowing it all the time.

Another thing to look at is if you just took the 10k and spent $1000 a year on natural gas wood or whatever heat you wouldn't have to do much of anything.
I would think a 16' landscape trailer would be big enough to get two quads a car or tractor on it making it more usefull. Also they are a little lower so easier to load and unload. If you can find one around 1-3k they are a pretty good value.

I have a 14 x 6 tandem landscape trailer with 28" mesh sides and use it all the time it's much better than the 10x5 with 16" sides single axle I had. I do wish it was about 8" wider at times.
I wanted a dump but this one only cost me $400 after I sold the single axle. Now it fits closely to a day of work and I generally make one trip a day instead of two or three with the little trailer.I figure It saves me about a hour or two each time I use it. A dump is generally a little smaller in volume if you want to haul bulk loads like sticks limbs etc.
I second getting the gravel delivered.
Ironically I picked up 8 loads of soil, they charged me $5 per load. this past summer. I am not sure how many yard each load was but it was a heaping scoop with the big payloader and to was comming over the sides, many times I had to shovel it in the corners so I would not loose it.
Definately way overloaded, I weighed one load and was 3000# over but it was a short haul. I unloaded it with my scoop tractor in about 20 min each time.

Firewood takes me about 15 min to unload same as sticks and brush.
Chad

I have never loaned out my dump trailer. And wouldn't if someone asked. Some things I'll loan out but that's not one of them. Basically I don't loan out any trailers that have electric brakes on them.

I haul my skidsteer in mine. Had to get a deck over to fit it. I have hauled rock and dirt in it from time to time. 5-6 ton of rock doesn't look like much in the trailer or on the ground so I understand having it hauled.

Someday I'll have an over deck flatbed gooseneck but until then the dump trailer has to do double duty as equipment hauler and material hauler.

With a 14' x 8.5' deck and 14" sides 2 cord isn't much of a problem to haul. The skidsteer is close to 10k and I've yet to get a load of wood that is as heavy and we've hauled some beefy loads on it.

If you decide on a 14k capacity trailer then I would recommend a gooseneck. It's a lot easier on the truck and less people will try to borrow it.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Love to have one, but don't think my 01 ram could pull one full of wood. o_O

If you need a trailer you might as well get a dump one. The additional cost won't be that bad. If I were in the market I wouildn't be looking for new rigs, my wooding equipment, except for the saws, was all used, some of it had seen some very hard use. Heating with wood is not 'free' heat.

The area that you live in is a major factor on how practical your dump trailer can be. Hauling an extra 2,000 lbs so you can dump your load does not work here at this altitude. If however your terrain is relatively level then having a dumper makes a lot of sense. I have a dump truck that can haul up to 11,000 lbs, but it has been sitting idle for the last few years. Each year it has been costing about $3,000 to licence and insure it so do not use it unless there is definite work for it. A one ton pickup or flatbed often will weigh between 6,000 and 8,000 lbs and then add up to another 4,000 lbs with a dumping bed so now you have added close to one cord of wood to your load. My tandem axle trailer will handle up to 2 1/2 cords which weighs about 2,000 lbs and then if my pickup is loaded with 1 1/2 cords I have maxed out any reasonable ability to go any where and stop too. When I am not working in the mountains then getting a heavy load works well, but going down a 6% grade with 8 tons in a pick up is a real handful. Thanks

Depends on how you look at it and how you tally the pluses and minuses. Strictly dollars it makes little sense to own one (and I do won one). Cost to buy, plates, insurance, tire here and there, battery, brakes, lights, it all ads up to a lot of money each year. A person can rent one by the day for cheap too. BUT there is something to say for having one sitting in the shed and it is there when you want to cut, and you dont get the "sorry they are all out" from the rental place. I use mine for wood, but I also haul stone for the drive way, haul scrap etc that I probably would not do if it were for the trailer sitting here ready to use. If you buy one I have three tips;
#1 Consider carefully what type you buy, low bed, high bed, end dump or 3 way dump, gooseneck or bumper pull. Each type has pluses and minuses.
#2 Keep it off the salt!
#3 Dont loan it out!!!!

As a business owner, a splurge purchase like this can really help out your taxes in the year you buy it. But of course you need to lay out the capital on day 1 to pay for it.

The dump truck versus dump trailer conversation has pros and cons on both sides.

If you are not in the salt belt, a dump trailer will last nearly forever. Up here they tend to rot away fairly quickly if not taken care of in the winter.

It comes down to how much you would use it. It would be a time saver. If you determine the time it saved times the $ per hour you personally are worth if doing labor you can come up with a break even pretty quickly. Secondly if you do plan to rent it or haul for hire you can make more $ to justify it as well.

20161018_143549.jpg
The area that you live in is a major factor on how practical your dump trailer can be. Hauling an extra 2,000 lbs so you can dump your load does not work here at this altitude. If however your terrain is relatively level then having a dumper makes a lot of sense. I have a dump truck that can haul up to 11,000 lbs, but it has been sitting idle for the last few years. Each year it has been costing about $3,000 to licence and insure it so do not use it unless there is definite work for it. A one ton pickup or flatbed often will weigh between 6,000 and 8,000 lbs and then add up to another 4,000 lbs with a dumping bed so now you have added close to one cord of wood to your load. My tandem axle trailer will handle up to 2 1/2 cords which weighs about 2,000 lbs and then if my pickup is loaded with 1 1/2 cords I have maxed out any reasonable ability to go any where and stop too. When I am not working in the mountains then getting a heavy load works well, but going down a 6% grade with 8 tons in a pick up is a real handful. Thanks

My Chev C30 with an 8ftx12ft dump bed weighs around 7000lbs with me in it. Haulsv2 cords of wood just fine. Did plenty of trips last spring/summer with 4-5 yards of dirt too.
Costs me about $500/yr for registration and insurance.

Not sure weight of the 2 F450s I have. They can handle 2 cords with ease.

2.5 cords of decent firewood is in the area of 5-7 tons, not 1 ton.

20161018_143549.jpg

Money/time-- I have made and collected about 12 trailers and have another gooseneck started, but keep gathering bits and pieces to make one into a dump trailer, that is the way I do it as coming up with big money to buy a new trailer is just not in the cards, I was in the boat biz for a long time and the trailer factory that I dealt with does repairs and sells me used axles for $20, I even found a couple in the scrap yard for 25cents a pound

My used 6x10 dump paid for itself hauling ground asphalt the state abandoned, free for all. I have used it for everything and the only reason to get rid of it would be, hard question.

View attachment 555296

My Chev C30 with an 8ftx12ft dump bed weighs around 7000lbs with me in it. Haulsv2 cords of wood just fine. Did plenty of trips last spring/summer with 4-5 yards of dirt too.
Costs me about $500/yr for registration and insurance.

Not sure weight of the 2 F450s I have. They can handle 2 cords with ease.

2.5 cords of decent firewood is in the area of 5-7 tons, not 1 ton.

View attachment 555296

This is a very nice dump. For my situation a dual wheel dump just wouldn't work very well, I deliver in the city and around lake communities. Tight driveways, across lawns, a SRW 4x4 1 ton seems to be great for getting into tight places, I can unhook the trailer at the road if I have to as well. I can drive a 1 ton truck around as a pickup as well. I'll probably end up getting a dump truck eventually when the need is more urgent.

If You have a new truck say from the mid 2000's up get the dump trailer- the boxes and supports underneath ain't what they used to be. Every thing is so thin now to save weight(thanks EPA) they literally have no structural integrity to speak of. 2nd Goose neck much better than bumper . I have a 16ft 5ton flatbed, dual wheels and brakes. Haul it with a f350 or f250 srw., bumper pull, both trucks are a bit over 9k by themselves . When that trailer is fully loaded it gets a bit interesting at times.

Back