Stihl firewood Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wowzer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
looking to add 1 new saw to the collection for Spring I have 1 field and a bush full of tops to cut up and had some problems last year with keeping Saw's going. I have 1 MS-250, 2 034's and picked up a 044 at the end of the season. I've been reading the 241 thread and I think I have this narrowed down too a 241, 261, or a 362. But out of the 3 saws what are most using and what do you feel is the most useful one to have scrounging for firewood. I have 16, 18, and 20" bars for all and planning on me and a buddy buying a roll of chain and doing our own chains this summer.

I'm partial too Stihl as everything I own is Stihl, but was considering a dolmar, but think I'm going to wait out to see what makitia does here with everything.

I'm cutting around 20 Face cord or 8 cord, or 8 bush cord.

For scrounging the 261 is gonna be hard to beat. It will pull any of the bars you have no problem with .325 chain. The 241 is gonna be more restrictive to bar size, but a wonderful saw for small stuff. 362s are odd ducks, to be honest I don't have much for one since everything I encounter can be handled by a 261 or I have to step up to a German made saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm wondering how close the 250 and 241 are. I've been thinking of replacing my 025 with either a 241 or a Dolmar 421. Big price difference

My uncle just bought a 241 and it's a nice little saw. Maybe 10 tanks through it and really starting to run good. That said I would go 261 because the extra pound of weight doesn't matter really, still a light saw, and the power is a nice bump.
If I only had 1 saw it would be a 70cc class (I do, it's a new to me 044). If I had your saws I would really look at the 261. I don't think a 241 offers anything over your 250 except a little weight break and auto tune. 261 or 362.

Yeah I have been thinking the 261 with a 16" or 18" bar and maybe grabbbing a 14 for the 250. But have to see if the chains match up to them I think both are .325, but if they don't a 241. But then there's just something about added power I love having a 20" bar and not having to bend down as far, but then again less weight and you can probably limb up another tank in a day before you get tired.

Endless possibilities

I see no need for a 362 in your fleet. 241 or 261 depending on what you want. 241 for a light, nimble limbing saw or 261 for a general purpose saw that will be stronger but a lb heavier.

Either way you will end up using your new saw and the 044 most of the time going forward and those others will end up being backups.

Yeah that 362 is gonna weigh about the same as your 044. I got a Dolmar 5105, 50cc saw that screams. Have not used it a ton yet, but pretty light and anti-vibe is awesome. But, I mainly use my MS440 with a 28" bar, no leaning over.

I am not an 18" bar fan, prefer 20 " then down to 16" on smaller lighter saws. 16" picco on my 025 has been my favorite light set up. Feels light enough to keep going when I 'm tired from running bigger and it is fewer cutters to sharpen then a .325 set up. I still haven't run any of the mentioned new saws. 034 has been my favorite 20" bar saw and I was running my 044's w/22" and 24" bars primarily. 026's I usually run 16" but had been happy with 20" on 1 of the stouter running 026's I had.
If it was me I'd by pass the 362 as was said you have that area covered best. That leaves 241 or 261. Which size fits the size wood you most cut the best I would think would benefit u the most.

Just got a 261 cm. Tested it on a downed white oak last weekend. Love it. So easy to start. Great power. Anti vibe is awesome. I was using a 250 and didn't notice much of a weight increase but the power is so much better.

I have a stable of saws and the 260 and the 044 spend most of their time in the bush. The rest sit on the bench or hang on hooks. When I used to do tops the 170 did all the branch limbing in the bush and the 260 cut it up out in the field.
I replied in your other thread, you can try out my 291 whenever you want. I just put it in the back of my truck I'll be in Kincardine tomorrow. 5193578066, shoot me a text if you want it.

I have a 362 and that's pretty much all I need. Just trying to defend it. But if I 044 and a 241 I wouldn't use it either. I'd honeslty just use the 044 with a smaller bar.

Yeah I'll shoot you a text in the morning Cantoo I won't be using it for a bit waiting for snow to get off the one side road to get into the field if that's alright. I can meet you down a tims or where ever I work at Superheat on HWY 21 there on the way in

I agree with the others in that there is little need for a 60cc saw in a multi saw operation. I used to be a 60cc do all guy with my 036 and 610 Macs before that. Now that I have a shelf full of saws from 40 to 90cc I seldom find real use for the 036 other than running it for old times sake. I limb with any one of several 50cc saws and when size demands a lager unit I move to 70 plus. I find that the increased weight of the 661 is more than offset by less handle time to get the work done.

241 vs. 250 is no comparison, really. In terms of power there's not much difference but the 241 is going to be waaaaay smoother than a 250 and obviously much better quality. I always liked the throttle response and how they handled but they are a rough saw when it comes to vibes.

Out of those three I would pick the 261 with an 18" bar.

Wowzer and I met up today he has the 291 and is gonna try it out. Hope he likes it better than I do. It's a small world, his buddy works for my nephew, he's cutting trees just around the corner from my house, I went to school with his girlfriends step father and her Mother is a friend of my wife's. And we used to cut their lawn years ago.

Back