How much do you charge for a cord of wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At some point the buyer should know what he/she is looking for and what the value is.
People that don’t do there research before they shop are more then likely not going to get the best deal.
I don’t miss represent anything, they come, they look and it’s there choice to buy or not.
No one is holding a gun to there head.

" CASH & CARRY " they leave me cash and they leave with what they want, makes both parties happy with no regrets on either side.... often the customers ask if i will deliver the next load? ! sure, free delivery within 15 miles ! makes for great customer relations.

I've been asking $1,000,000. So far I haven't had any buyers, but I figure if I can get just one or two cords sold, I should be all set.:hmm3grin2orange:

" CASH & CARRY " they leave me cash and they leave with what they want, makes both parties happy with no regrets on either side.... often the customers ask if i will deliver the next load? ! sure, free delivery within 15 miles ! makes for great customer relations.

pillager

:hmm3grin2orange:

wen i am not in my yard this is working good i sell over $200 a week remember i am and arborist weekend wood is del 10 full cords
15s5sph.jpg

I don't sell firewood, but I had 10 full chords (4x4x8) of uncut logs delivered last month for $85 per chord. The master logger actually gave me about 11 chords, because he said he always gives more to ensure a good "full" 10 chords. Now I'll have fun all winter long cutting this pile for use next year (winter of 2012-13)! :hmm3grin2orange:

I don't sell firewood, but I had 10 full chords (4x4x8) of uncut logs delivered last month for $85 per chord. The master logger actually gave me about 11 chords, because he said he always gives more to ensure a good "full" 10 chords. Now I'll have fun all winter long cutting this pile for use next year (winter of 2012-13)! :hmm3grin2orange:
is "chord" a yooperism? In Wisconsin we have cords of wood. And cheese, we have cheese...

Was at the mid-atlantic logging demo today in Selma, NC. Talked to a guy operating a processing machine who was from WV. He said that at the ski-lodge where they sell their firewood they are getting $600 per cord, delivered and stacked, $125 loose piled in a pickup truck. For a cord they would stack it, a pickup truck load was dumped. I told him for $600 I would split it here in NC and deliver to WV.

Was at the mid-atlantic logging demo today in Selma, NC. Talked to a guy operating a processing machine who was from WV. He said that at the ski-lodge where they sell their firewood they are getting $600 per cord, delivered and stacked, $125 loose piled in a pickup truck. For a cord they would stack it, a pickup truck load was dumped. I told him for $600 I would split it here in NC and deliver to WV.

When you're apying 1 grand a week rental what's another $20 dollars for 5 pieces of wood?:msp_thumbup:

About 15 years ago I realized that I needed to raise my pricing more consistently with the high demand that I was having. Since I have always managed to find high quality wood when others were selling what I call culls. I told my customers not to ask about pricing if they want my wood and most do not. So my goal was to always be 10% higher than the rest. The last 5 years have been fairly mild compared to winters 30 years ago, but the demand has steadily increased. Several years ago I thought that if I asked for $400 a cord for Oak that it would stop the price shopping callers in their tracks. That was when other sellers were asking $350 a cord. Soon I was getting $500 a cord and now it is reaching $600 a cord. As for me freezing seems more favorable than paying more than $500 a cord. I bring home what does not sell, so my home is always very comfortable. Has inflation hit any body else? Thanks

Since there is so many folks with a chainsaw selling wood on this forum, i'd like to get a feel what a cord is worth nowadays.

I live in the city and get a face cord split and deliver for $95 each. Lenght is 12". It seems the price goes up $5 every year.

Unless your firewood guy is making up for the short sticks, every inch short of 16" is shorting you 6.25%. So a 12" stick is 25% less than you are paying for assuming the stack is 4' x 8'.

You guys will love this! Had to go do the family thing, drove in to Chicago to the wife's sisters condo. While unloading the car and carrying stuff in through the garage, I notice the distinct smell of cherry wood and then I spied the wood rack. Now I didn't get real nosy, but it was over 6' long, but not a full 8', single row wide and around 4' tall. Splits shy of 16" probably 12-14" range. It was sitting on the other side of the car and I didn't want to get too nosey. Anyway, as the days progressed there, I finally asked about the wood. They pay the guy $180.00 for that stack and he comes 3 times a year. What's more, there are about 40 of these condos in this complex. I'm sure they are supplying every one of these all year!

You guys will love this! Had to go do the family thing, drove in to Chicago to the wife's sisters condo. While unloading the car and carrying stuff in through the garage, I notice the distinct smell of cherry wood and then I spied the wood rack. Now I didn't get real nosy, but it was over 6' long, but not a full 8', single row wide and around 4' tall. Splits shy of 16" probably 12-14" range. It was sitting on the other side of the car and I didn't want to get too nosey. Anyway, as the days progressed there, I finally asked about the wood. They pay the guy $180.00 for that stack and he comes 3 times a year. What's more, there are about 40 of these condos in this complex. I'm sure they are supplying every one of these all year!
In Chicago, like KC or St Louis, I think there is a bit of a firewood mafia.
Don't get caught selling wood or under cutting prices. You'll get your tires flattened. Or "discouraged" otherwise. Lol.
I wholesale to a guy who delivers in and around KC. Small splits and small quantities of sorted types. It's for leisure burning mostly. Not BTU for the dollar.

In St. Louis, there are stake bed trucks full of firewood, prowling the suburbs every weekend. There's generally one or two guys knocking on doors, while a couple more unload and stack.
Some of the guys are reputable and some, not so much.
My BIL buys wood from who ever is the cheapest. Some of what he gets looks like it's only days away from total decomposition. Other times, it's so green it drips.
The last time I talked to him about wood, I think he was paying around $300 a cord, dumped in his driveway.
I've offered to supply him with wood, if he'll help me cut and split. He's retired and is much too busy to carve out a weekend or two to help.
Just so no one thinks I'm a ****. I've taken him loads of wood twice in the past. He is always conveniently absent when I show up, even though he was supposed to have been there. If it wasn't for the fact that his wife is my wife's sister, I would have never dropped a stick at his house.

Latest posts

Back