Input and advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fran35

Reaction score
Hey everyone-
Longtime lurker but minimal poster. I am looking for help or advice on a particular saw. Background: I have been working saws for years, heated house exclusively for the last 7 years or so with self cut wood. My regular use saw is a Stihl MS290 Farm Boss. It is unbelievably reliable and I cannot say enough good things about the saw. However, a few years back my wife bought me a Granberg Alaskan mill to mess around with some beautiful cherry logs I had. I changed the chain to the recommended type, but quickly realized that I was going to kill my saw because it just was not made for that. So, I put the mill away and vowed to get at it again in a few years. Well, I have just gotten access to about 190 acres of hardwoods and would like to attempt to make some slabs/lumber to work with. I found this on CL after looking for a while and the price point seems good, but wanted some folks opinions who know more than I. Please let me know your thoughts:

https://york.craigslist.org/grd/5979599044.html

Thanks in advance!

A 395 is definitely a good saw to mill with. Depending on which Grandberg you have you might need to get a different bar. Price wise I can't help as I don't know what they are going for.

THe husky 395 is a great saw , its my go to saw for most things..... Not sure about $500 US price tag, it depends on the shape of the saw and where you are located at...
Garrit does have a good point of dealing with ppl on this site... I have bought/sold a few saw to fellow lumberjocks and it always worked out well for all.

THe husky 395 is a great saw , its my go to saw for most things..... Not sure about $500 US price tag, it depends on the shape of the saw and where you are located at...
Garrit does have a good point of dealing with ppl on this site... I have bought/sold a few saw to fellow lumberjocks and it always worked out well for all.
I agree I got my 084 from a member here and it was perfect

Hey everyone-
Longtime lurker but minimal poster. I am looking for help or advice on a particular saw. Background: I have been working saws for years, heated house exclusively for the last 7 years or so with self cut wood. My regular use saw is a Stihl MS290 Farm Boss. It is unbelievably reliable and I cannot say enough good things about the saw. However, a few years back my wife bought me a Granberg Alaskan mill to mess around with some beautiful cherry logs I had. I changed the chain to the recommended type, but quickly realized that I was going to kill my saw because it just was not made for that. So, I put the mill away and vowed to get at it again in a few years. Well, I have just gotten access to about 190 acres of hardwoods and would like to attempt to make some slabs/lumber to work with. I found this on CL after looking for a while and the price point seems good, but wanted some folks opinions who know more than I. Please let me know your thoughts:

https://york.craigslist.org/grd/5979599044.html

Thanks in advance!
Top cover & side are fresher than rest of plastic question seller how those parts needed replacement; why is it being sold? Will you be allowed to remove muffler to look at piston/rings? I've bought two saws [stihls an 046 and a ported cylinder 661] each of them will/are used for milling. I started w/ 170 and a beam maker style.
Now on the mill i've switched to skip chisel due to less drag from both less cutters and better chip removal. Pay attention to safety, hope you enjoy

Top cover & side are fresher than rest of plastic question seller how those parts needed replacement; why is it being sold? Will you be allowed to remove muffler to look at piston/rings? I've bought two saws [stihls an 046 and a ported cylinder 661] each of them will/are used for milling. I started w/ 170 and a beam maker style.
Now on the mill i've switched to skip chisel due to less drag from both less cutters and better chip removal. Pay attention to safety, hope you enjoy
So the saw is being sold by a Stihl authorized dealer. They serviced it and put the new plastic shieldings on it. Said the cylinder was original and in good shape. Apparently it was a trade in by someone that bought a stihl. Does that change any opinions?

Back