Assemblig the Peterson JP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Big box full of JP Peterson arrived at the dock Thursday along with the one piece rails. Thought I would share a few pictures.
What did I get myself into?
2z57t42.jpg

Unloading the box
bfpc1i.jpg

Rekon I will live long enough to assemble all this??
xljwg7.jpg

a4nep2.jpg

The JR was a cup of coffee shy of 10K. That is with Honda engine upgrade and one piece rails. Dealer is Left Coast Supply in Ca. A person has to wonder about spending that kind of money for a mill but the engineering is awesome and it is light weight. The rails will stay out on the pad but the saw head is easily put back on the wheels to be put inside. It handels like a light wheel barrow. We sawed with it today and I took videos but I am not going to wait on this slowpoke satellite connection to up load them. Will be up first of the week along with more pictures.

I have to admit that I'm a little jealous of your new setup. Looks sweet. Can't wait to see the videos and some of your future work.

Here the saw unit is on the frames and ready to mill the first log. What sold me on Peterson was the engineering, a person really cant appreciate it unless he is up against the unit and using it. The saw head wheels like a wheel barrow, perfectly balanced and on tires big enough to roll easily You roll ti up to the frames spin it sideways and let it down on the rails and continue cranking and it lifts the wheels off the ground so you can remove them. When done for the day it takes 2 minutes to have to entire saw unit off the rails in into a shed where it is out of the weather. All told I spent 6 hours assembling the mill. Instructions are as plain as day.
29dcv3o.jpg

And here we are on the first cuts, my oldest son knocked me out of the way and took over so I got the camera out. The mill was adjusted perfectly as received. Need some bigger pieces for the log beds. We will cut those out of the next log we cut. Changed photo host so hopefully all works here.
2_zpsdg96wynq.jpg

My oldest son on the JP making his first cuts. It will cut considerably faster than this but he is the cautious type. This is some Ash I cut two years ago. I need to cut some blocks to raise the log about 4" higher as we couldn't get all the wood with the mill set all the way down. I also have a buzz saw set up on the bin pad and the distance is just right to set the slab wood away from the sawmill and run it through the buzz saw later. We parked the loader on the other side and set the lumber on the forks, nothing has to be carried very far. One small issue is the engine cooling air intake slots quickly gathered a good bit of saw dust, you can see it in the video. A small shield will fix it, should have been done at the factory in my opinion? As far as we can tell from the pictures in the manual the mill is set perfectly, no fine adjustments were needed.

My oldest son on the JP making his first cuts. It will cut considerably faster than this but he is the cautious type. This is some Ash I cut two years ago. I need to cut some blocks to raise the log about 4" higher as we couldn't get all the wood with the mill set all the way down. I also have a buzz saw set up on the bin pad and the distance is just right to set the slab wood away from the sawmill and run it through the buzz saw later. We parked the loader on the other side and set the lumber on the forks, nothing has to be carried very far. One small issue is the engine cooling air intake slots quickly gathered a good bit of saw dust, you can see it in the video. A small shield will fix it, should have been done at the factory in my opinion? As far as we can tell from the pictures in the manual the mill is set perfectly, no fine adjustments were needed.

Cautious safety first, speed will come with experience. Hope you don't become complacent about safety when very experiened. Newbies and old timers who "know it all" get hurt the most. Glad you are enjoying

We had the milling nationals a month or so ago and it was won on a Peterson.

Latest posts

Back