Burning hickory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a nest of the bald face hornet, they die as soon as it gets cold in the fall usually by the first hard frost. the queens in this case also hibernate just like the yellow jackets.

If the nest is in the ground it is usually a skunk or a possum. the bald face hornets nest lots of time still have larva in them and birds go after them.

:D Al
Those white faces Hornets are the nastiest around (when disturbed) my neighbor had one in a tree over his pool and when he and his wife went out for a swim at night they started hitting the lit up water like f16's. We took it down a little while back and the queen and larvae were in there ready to start it back up next season. If we didn't take it down it would of reestablished itself. Here she is in all her glory:
afc26541ce48cf8faff6f37357b56af2.jpg
806370a2893abe9647b3304313e0f67c.jpg
28bddd59d93519f296567b08d0b156fd.jpg

Before we ripped it open

had a huge nest made from those large black and white hornets in the arborvitaes. I was going to wait until winter to remove it and keep it, but some thing got into it and ripped it apart.

I notice that some ground hornet's nests get tore up during the night and the nests are ripped apart. I thought maybe a skunk was doing it?
Possums do that. They also eat ticks like crazy. I don't mind possums around at all. Although the dogs kill them when they find them. I try to catch them and relocate them if they get attacked by the dogs when I see them. I usually have some living in the barn, they hide in the haybales deep and come out at night and polish off the catfood, hahaha!

Back