full chisel chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dimanager

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I just came back from my local Stihl dealer. Wanted 2 loops of full chisel chain, he said all he carrys is semi-chisel because the full chisel was not staying sharp as long. Any one else have a dealer not having full chisel for this reason?

Sam

I just came back from my local Stihl dealer. Wanted 2 loops of full chisel chain, he said all he carrys is semi-chisel because the full chisel was not staying sharp as long. Any one else have a dealer not having full chisel for this reason?

Sam

Nope, I'm still trying to figure out why my old Stihl dealer used to not stock much in the line of .063 chain, and now doesn't stock any .050 in 3/8.

Mark

Any one else have a dealer not having full chisel for this reason?

No. That is a stupid reason. Sure it doesn't stay sharp as long, but then again semi-chisel doesn't stay sharp as long as carbide. But so what? Different produts exist for different purposes. Full chisel is for clean wood, semi-chisel is for dirty wood, and everybody who cuts any quantity of wood likely has loops of both types in their saw box.

The only thing my dealer doesn't sock is 3/8" .063 semi-chisel (full or skip). Not sure why he doesn't. Other than that, he's got semi-chisel, round chisel, and square chisel in pretty much every modern pitch and gauge you'd want.

The only thing my dealer doesn't sock is 3/8" .063 semi-chisel (full or skip). Not sure why he doesn't. Other than that, he's got semi-chisel, round chisel, and square chisel in pretty much every modern pitch and gauge you'd want.

That's kind of silly of him. When I do run semi-chisel, which I prefer not to, it is almost always 3/8 .063 because it will be on long bars that generally don't come in .050 like my 36 or 42 inch bars.

chain

No. That is a stupid reason. Sure it doesn't stay sharp as long, but then again semi-chisel doesn't stay sharp as long as carbide. But so what? Different produts exist for different purposes. Full chisel is for clean wood, semi-chisel is for dirty wood, and everybody who cuts any quantity of wood likely has loops of both types in their saw box.

That's the way my dealer is.:rock: :clap:

Sam

That's wacky.. you can' get stihl RM style (semi chisel) in 3/8 safety any more, so what's he going to stock for his homeowner saws... RSC3 is chisel.. Unless he only sell .325.. then he can get RMC and RMC3.

What happened is I asked for full chisel chain and they gave me two chains with rounded corners. I always thought that full chisel has a square corner. I've had my questions with these guys for about a year now. It seems that I can never get a straight answer and anytime my new saw was not running right it was bad gas. Turns out it was the gas tank vent was just covered in dust and it had a vapor lock.
He's convenient, just 5 minutes from work, but I think I am going to drive the extra 20 minutes to the other dealer.

Sam

What you have there is the newfangled Yuppie dealer.

Didnt like working for the man, did like "Shiny Things", Got a buisiness loan (or worse, trust fund!) and started selling Shiny Things without a care for the people buying them.

It dosent really matter to these types what kind of Shiny thing they sell, Just as long as their Shiny!

Full Chisel

...Is a bad word around here. There are several styles of chain, and full chisel really blurs the issue. First there's chipper, which is a very rounded, very tough, but somewhat slower cutter. Its very ressitant to dulling and easy to sharpen by anyone who can hold a round file adn follow some basic rules. Then there's semi-chisel, which is quite similar to chipper, then you have round chisel and square chisel. Round chisel has a chisel type tooth but not the square corner. It supposedly holds an edge better than square chisel, and still can be filed by most people and uses a round file. Square chisel is what most loggers in the PNW mean when they speak of "chisel saw chain" and is more difficult to file and is sharpened with a 3 corner chisel file, a flat file, double beveled, or "goofy file" or ground with a chisel chain grinding wheel. Square chisel dulls in dirty wood and is least likeely to hold an edge, but its the fastes chain there is if you're saw has teh power to pull it. It actually removes the most wood per engine power. So technically both "round chisel" and square chisel are full chisel chains, but they are really quite different and should be regarded as different.

I'm switching to semi as my chisel loops need replacement. I just ordered 2 loops of Bailey's 30SC this afternoon. Chisel's nice as long you're cutting nice clean wood, but dig through a few dozer piles and you're changing chains pretty quickly. I actually ended up breaking a few teeth on what I'm cutting. Maybe Semi will be a little more durable. Maybe I'll learn not to grit my teeth while cutting and they won't break so often... :D

Ian

Sorry for the confusion, I was refering to square chisel.

Raised by Wolves, no he is not a new dealer, has been around for about 20 years. He just doesn't fill me with confidence when I take something in. One time I went in for some trimmer line for my father-in-law, and the dealer wanted me to bring in the whole trimmer to be re-wrapped.

Sam

Just to clarify on Diesel JD's post, round chisel and square chisel both have square working (outer) corners, it is the inside corner that differes, based upon filing/grinding style.

Square chisel refers to one filed/ground with a square chisel file or wheel, instead of a round one. Round ground/filed chisel chain, is what most people think of when they hear "chisel" or "full chisel" chain. Some even think round chisel is square chisel, because of the squared off working corner.

Another name sometimes used for chisel chain, of either style is flat top chain, because the top is flat, not rounded on the working corner side.

Back