Done with Stihls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hint hint ya say, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I see whatcha saying. Well Mow I told Belgian if he ever decides to come from Germany to Virginia I would give him that 041 of mine as a token for his long trip. Seems he has his heart set on one too. Tell what I'll do though, if I come across another one I won't even take it home. I'll just toss it in a box and ship it to ya, hows that.

Thats a winner :cheers: :bowdown: :cheers:

Yeah, I hear you. I don't want aggravation. That's why I'm getting rid of this Stihl. But I would hate to jump into even more aggravation. What's a PITA POS? OK, I might have to rethink my thinking. I did see a Husky for around $200. I'll check out the others you mentioned.

Sounds like your wising up now, good move. When buying a saw as old as that 041 is you take a helluva risk of getting just what you got, a wore out old clunker. In its days it was, beleive or not, a helluva good saw. The first 20 years that saw ran it may have been fine but they don't run forever, nothing does. Get ya self a new saw, not used, new. You don't need someone elses headache or wore out old saw, go new.

Yeah, I hear you. I don't want aggravation. That's why I'm getting rid of this Stihl. But I would hate to jump into even more aggravation. What's a PITA POS? OK, I might have to rethink my thinking. I did see a Husky for around $200. I'll check out the others you mentioned.

PITA POS? Let's see....PITA kind of stands for Pain in the Azz....POS stands for Piece of Sheet...sorta. I can't be any more explicit than that 'cause the mods will dope-slap me. I guess a bad saw of any kind could be called a PITA POS...kinda has a ring to it, doesn't it.
Seriously...I don't know much about the small saws but a lot of guys on here do. They can give you a good idea what to look for, what to expect in performance, and even a ball-park price range. Several of the sponsors on AS sell saws and they're very reputable. Several of the members buy and sell saws....theres a wealth of information here. Make it work for you.

Just keep buyin' junk saws... but don't come here whinin' about them. Man up and spend the cash on a decent Stihl... or dare I say Husqvarna. You'll be glad you did.

You get what you pay for in saws my friend. Been proven here many times. Good luck...:help:

Gary

well

Just keep buyin' junk saws... but don't come here whinin' about them. Man up and spend the cash on a decent Stihl... or dare I say Husqvarna. You'll be glad you did.

You get what you pay for in saws my friend. Been proven here many times. Good luck...:help:

Gary

Well said Gary, well said.;) :laugh:

Agreed.Much as I hate to admit it:D ,years ago I bought my 026 thinking I'd get the best I could afford it and it should outlast many different "junk" saws.With proper care and feeding(pistons,rings etc),almost 20 yrs and many woodchips later,I traded it in and it was still running strong and tight.
Umm...of course,not as good as a Jonsered would have been running after that much time of course,ahem:blush:

Getting any of these used saws, you run a big risk of a headache, especially something like an 029. It might have been ran hard and treated like dirt, maybe used by somebody who didn't care about the saw. The 029 is ok in its intended niche and if it is well maintained. I was tempted to tell you to get an older used professional model Stihl, Husky or Jonsred, or another old homelie/McCulloch, but again you should be aware that you can get burned again. I'd want to look a used saw over, make sure it started good, ran good, or at least had good compression and spark or treat it as a project. Someday I will get an 038Mag or 044 either for a project or as a runner. Can't really do it until I know how much i owe Uncle Sam. Good luck wahtever you decide, but I'm pretty sure its not a new McCulloch or Poulan. Even the consumer grade saws from these folks ran OK in the 70s and 80s, or even real well, but no longer. Its kinda sad.

cheap saw

Friend you want a cheap saw that will take a fair beating and keep in ticking, try one of the Cub Cadet 3916s they are selling brand new on eBay for 124 dollars.... free shipping we bought a couple of them and we have been beating the crap out of them for several months now and they are holding up fine....so far so good. These saw are made by Efco a good company and a lot better saw the those Wild Things any day
:popcorn:

My father-in-law receive an 041 for a Christmas gift about 30 years ago. He heated his home with the wood it cut for years. For the last 10 years or so, my bro-in-law has used it to cut all the wood he heats his home with. Further more, it still runs great and has great compression. He had a minor oiling problem with it last fall and split the original impulse line this winter. He used it to cut wood just last week I believe. BTW, he's never had problems with the screws falling out. Leads me to believe there's something wrong with your saw. Good luck with what ever you do. Just don't give up:)

Wow open your mind. I have an 032 thats 27 years old never been in the shop probably has 2000 hours on it. An 044 16 years old 3000 plus hours on it had its first problem a leaky crank seal. These saws were bought new used for bigger things than designed for yet with a little care run great. I had a car once it broke down. Ill never by another car.:monkey:

Wow open your mind. I have an 032 thats 27 years old never been in the shop probably has 2000 hours on it. An 044 16 years old 3000 plus hours on it had its first problem a leaky crank seal. These saws were bought new used for bigger things than designed for yet with a little care run great. I had a car once it broke down. Ill never by another car.:monkey:

That car you had: Was it a Vega, Pacer, or Ugo?

Sounds really familiar, could I interest you in a 455 rancher? Are we about to get covered in sap again? :bang:

I don't think so. This guy uses common sense and listens when people tell him something. He'll examine other view points than his own and even change his mind when he's wrong. Absolutely not our buddy 'Sap :) This guy's just pissed cause his PITA POS let him down...he'll come around.

Reading this thread, I had a thought for compairing companies on a whole.
What would happen if in each brand you compaired the current low end model and the high end model? How would the companies stack up to each other? This could be a little subjective but....

Stihl MS170 and Stihl MS880
Husqy 137 and Husqy 3120
Poulan thingy and Poulan Shark
Homelite??? and Homelite???
McCulloch??? and McCulloch???

You get the point. So how would all the different companies compare to each other then?

Gary

Good post. :)
No bullets. Have a beer. :cheers:

Gary

An excellent post amongst many other excellent posts.

You're judging Stihls based on one old clunker saw you bought used? That's like me saying I was terribly disappointed when the 27 year old VW Rabbit diesel I bought needed a new fuel pump and I was done with VWs. You can't judge a saw company or "real" saws by that. And for every 041 out there that doesn't run any more, there's an 031, 056, 076, and 090 still out there running day-in and day-out. It's just maintenance. Sounds like the previous owner let it slide.

But if you want a Wal-Mart saw because one antiquated saw didn't hold up for you, well, help yourself. It's your money. Don't be discouraged. There's plenty of good saws out there, and you seem like you're up for listening to opinions. Don't give up yet. JMO.

Jeff

Frustration can help people not sound their best. I believe I wrote on another forum that I was fixing to burn my truck...which I would not do. He needed to vent, so lets just hope he gets something that will serve his needs.

Latest posts

Back