Refridgerator Kiln

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogedy_Man

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone using one for bowls or other small pieces?

My wife and I built one this week to support her bowl making habit. I put a 100W lamp in each side (its a side by side) with a line level thermostat. I can get from ambient temp upwards of 95 degrees pretty easily. Humidity outside is about 55% right now. Running just a couple hours set at 80 degrees I'm showing 25% humidity. With the thermostat on one side, I have a built in temp difference. I thought it might be handy that way, not so sure. The freezer side runs about 5 degrees hotter, and a few percents lower in humidity.

Can anyone give any good starting points for temp with respect to green roughed bowls? Or am I wrong and humidity is what I need to be looking at? Most of our blanks are quite wet. And when and how fast can we ramp up the temperature?

Yeah, I realize air movement counts too, but that just raises more questions for me :D

I did a 3" hole in the bottom, and a 3" hole in the top. I put a critter proof dryer vent cap over both, and on the inside an electric box cover plate to make the intake adjustable. Knowing how to adjust it is another story!

Yes, just regular spot lamps. They get it up to temp quite easily. The limiting factor is the thermostat more than anything, that's easy to work around too. I found the calibration screw can set it well beyond 90 degrees if I want, but for now I just have it calibrated to a thermometer.

I was very close to ordering reptile lamps from Amazon, but everyone cautioned the short life span, so I just grabbed these for now.

IMG_2912.JPG

IMG_2910.JPG Here's a couple more pictures showing the dryer caps and etc. still need to work on the racks. The fridge had all glass, and I want to use some sort of metal grates. Trying to do this with minimal investment. Lol. So far I bought the dryer caps, the thermostat, two thermometers and the spot lamps. I'm about $60 in.

Back