Not impressed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok... So if I drill out the holder to accept a 3/8" bolt.... Its 13/32 wide. Says it is sealed even though the picture doesn't allude to such...

https://www.amazon.com/Kilian-D-2269-Outside-Diameter-Bearing/dp/B003XU6QTS

51En0JxFjCL._SX425_.jpg

Thanks... Looks to be a 3/4" OD bearing.

ETA: width looks to be .2812 each. Overall width on the follower is .5625 so it looks like they will just fit. How thick is the machine washer you're using?

There is no washer in between. That was my mistake. When I put them back in after taking the pic for you I looked for 10min thinking I lost the washer, but there was no washer to loose

Ok... So if I drill out the holder to accept a 3/8" bolt.... Its 13/32 wide. Says it is sealed even though the picture doesn't allude to such...

I am pretty sure you could use that bearing with no problems, after you drill the holder out.

It is an expensive bearing at $20/each though. 2 of the small bearing I am using only run $6 for both.

The expense does not bother me as bad as the ability to by local and get it the day I have a problem. I need my SS running and don't have time to wait for a bearing to be shipped to me. Same goes with the return springs that I just replaced. I could not find a similar length at any local store, so I just changed/modified where it attach to the beam. This way if one does happen to break, I just need to run to the local hardware store for a replacement.

I tried my local bearing supplier and he'd have to order something to fit the oe follower. That includes doing what you did with the 2 single row bearings. Years ago this used to be the place to take a one off, can't find it anywhere bearing and they'd have it on the shelf. Not the case anymore. So I'm stuck to ordering no matter what.

AND I'm that guy that wants to dabble and be different.

I'm right at 12.5 hours.
Wow. . .that is pathetic. I am sorry your having problems. Perhaps you could place the bearings in a baggie of lubricant and vacuum seal it for a period of time. It should draw lube/oil into the bearings.
Seems like at should last longer than 12 hours.

Wow. . .that is pathetic. I am sorry your having problems. Perhaps you could place the bearings in a baggie of lubricant and vacuum seal it for a period of time. It should draw lube/oil into the bearings.
Seems like at should last longer than 12 hours.
Years back we had a machine that the bearings kept failing as the oil used to lube them drained out, the seals were part of the cage & couldn't be removed I used a trick that motor cycles used for their chains,in days before auto oilers, comprises of 2 containers larger outer containing water smaller inner containing grease heat water until grease melts & reaches consistency of oil, place bearings in the oil/grease,remove from heat & allow to cool clean off excess the lube now stays put longer & bearings stays lubed longer.

Years back we had a machine that the bearings kept failing as the oil used to lube them drained out, the seals were part of the cage & couldn't be removed I used a trick that motor cycles used for their chains,in days before auto oilers, comprises of 2 containers larger outer containing water smaller inner containing grease heat water until grease melts & reaches consistency of oil, place bearings in the oil/grease,remove from heat & allow to cool clean off excess the lube now stays put longer & bearings stays lubed longer.

Someone try this on the kitchen stove and let me know how the woman of the house likes it! LOL. I can just imagine the uproar at my house!

I tried heating my connecting rods (used) up in the kitchen oven one time. Put it on 350deg and through them in, went back out in the garage and worked on some other stuff for a little bit. Heard the wife pull back into the driveway and thought I better go get them out before she sees them. When I opened the door, the smoke alarms were going off and the house was full of smoke from the oil burning off them. :innocent:

Let's just say she was not too happy with me for a little while.

And for the guy going to ask.... Yes there was beer involved :yes:

Someone try this on the kitchen stove and let me know how the woman of the house likes it! LOL. I can just imagine the uproar at my house!
The workshop wood burner is an ideal tool for this would not recomend indoor stove use. I have however put a crank pins in plastic bags in the Freezer to ease the fit in the flywheel halfs

51En0JxFjCL._SX425_.jpg

Casey,I'm not certain of this but I don't think the bearing pictured is meant to roll on its circumference.Looks to me as if its to be pressed into a pillow block and the inner portion rotates or its pressed into a hub and turns with the hub as the inside remains still.

Casey,I'm not certain of this but I don't think the bearing pictured is meant to roll on its circumference.Looks to me as if its to be pressed into a pillow block and the inner portion rotates or its pressed into a hub and turns with the hub as the inside remains still.

You may be right. The description doesn't mention anything about it being pressed into a fitting although it probably could be.

BTW, if you guys are wanting some more umph out of your return springs, just shorten up the existing springs. I had one of my springs break at the end and I started expertimenting with what rung of spring I attached to the stud. Now it comes back with avengance and you can fine tune it to your liking.

A propane torch works well. You just mark rod area with a Thermomelt HEAT-STIK for the proper heat range. Done it countless times inserting piston pins.
Dunking the piston in a container of boiling water for 5 or so minutes works well to free up the piston pin to enable it to be an easy sliding fit in the rod My take is it spreads the heat more evenly than a heat gun of some type both ways work though.

I tried my local bearing supplier and he'd have to order something to fit the oe follower. That includes doing what you did with the 2 single row bearings. Years ago this used to be the place to take a one off, can't find it anywhere bearing and they'd have it on the shelf. Not the case anymore. So I'm stuck to ordering no matter what.

AND I'm that guy that wants to dabble and be different.
Try McMaster and Carr.

The good old ss bearing issue, they didn't take care of it but Split Second addressed it from day one. Update your ss with the parts from the Split Second web site, you would need the bearing, spring and housing download their manual and see pages 18,19. The Bearing is sealed, read below......and see the log lift that fits the super splits because they won't make one.
The small cam follower bearing used on the rack return needs to be sealed for a happy kinetic and a happy user. The 3/4” diameter bearing used on most kinetics, corrodes with use and freezes. See below the inside of your unsealed ¾” cam follower bearing after use. When it freezes it slides down the beam instead of rolling which creates wear. The WD40 only helps free the rust so it will rotate again for awhile, hence the small hole in the bolt or spraying the sides of it since it is an unsealed bearing. If you split in cold weather this type of bearing will wear out extremely fast. On the Split Second Log Splitter the cam follower bearing is 1” diameter sealed with low temp grease that will not get sluggish until around -30°F. The housing that holds the bearing is designed to let the beam crud go thru and not get held up around the bearing. The Split Second also has a rack return spring bracket that allows the springs to be tightened depending on use. Please keep the top of your beam and rack clean.

The abilities of the super split is impressive. But if that little bearing under the rack can bring an entire session to a halt with such little use, something is going to have to be done about it.

5f60b860ee430eb94f78394051209594.jpg

I'm also going to send this one to Paul. Something is out of alignment. This is the top of the rack that rides along the cam followers when engaging the rack. You can see on the left side of the rack there is more contact with the follower than the right.

7fcd4e86ee259a9bd562c07eeffe4285.jpg

Which is also supported by the wear on those followers themselves.

5b2b65e4a48e2fb9677777fc17954828.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why is the manufacturer not addressing this for you for free. I would honestly expect free updated machine and with a sincere apology and shipping paid to return your broken machine and a partial refind on the entire splitter. It is not like you spent $600 at Menards for mass produced Chinese stuff. I have watched threads on these where the splitting wedge falls off and the welds looked like thay were put in my a 3rd grader with a $69 Harbor Freight welder. I hope the Koolaid does not wear off for most of you as it appears that. . . well it appears for the money spent you should have received a better built product.
I am sorry to just be so blunt, but it is what it is.

Back