Sealing fuel tanks Best sealant

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to split a metal tank on a dolmar 166 because it was allowing bar oil to mix with my alky/nitro fuel. All it took was Threebond 1194 and she never leaked again. Fix was 100% perfect. :msp_biggrin:

166repairtank.jpg

I had to split a metal tank on a dolmar 166 because it was allowing bar oil to mix with my alky/nitro fuel. All it took was Threebond 1194 and she never leaked again. Fix was 100% perfect. :msp_biggrin:

166repairtank.jpg

Is that like Yammabond 4?

Yep. Yamabond/Hondabond/Suzukibond/Kawasakibond-4 is the same as Threebond 1194. My tube of Hondabond-4 has "1194" in the Honda part #.

Ok thats what I thought.
I have been using this stuff right along, on everything from my 500cc snowmobile build, to stuff I've done for other people.

I wanted to get the ms 250 that I've been on working pressure tested and I needed a starter dog for the rewind. I was recomeneded to this one dealer around here in high regard, by people in high regard.

They laughed at me when I told them that I assembled the saw w/ Yammabond 4, and recommened this...
View attachment 253233
attachment.php

As you can see in the upper left hand corner it's a touch more than "bond".

The first thing that ran through my mind is that I was using the wrong stuff and I was going to have to go back through alot of equipment. Eventhough Yammabond was highly recommended by the person that got me into working on 2cys.
I did some searching on here and found that people use both, but if "bond" will seal a alky/nitro saw guess what I'm sticking with.

what about seal- all??? What is a plastic stihl tank made of?? Seal-all does not work for HDPE plastics, so I bet the tank IS made from that???

I have a cheap soldering iron and plan on putting a dimmer switch in an extension cord to allow me to control the temp. 800 degrees F is the magic temp for the plastic weld fix. You learn so much tinkering with this stuff. Weed eater string if you need to add more plastic, mmm.

Last edited:
what about seal- all??? What is a plastic stihl tank made of?? Seal-all does not work for HDPE plastics, so I bet the tank IS made from that???

I have a cheap soldering iron and plan on putting a dimmer switch in an extension cord to allow me to control the temp. 800 degrees F is the magic temp for the plastic weld fix. You learn so much tinkering with this stuff. Weed eater string if you need to add more plastic, mmm.
Melted zip ties

It's best to use the exact same stuff for bonding. I usually find a piece of the item I'm bonding and cut a strip off it and melt it into the hole or crack. It would be nice to have another bad tank and get material off of it to fix it with..

I have a very nice Husky 261 that is leaking from the tank into the handle. I received this product yesterday. It is suppose to be for plastic tanks. Wish me luck.
Link http://www.caswellplating.com/epoxy-gas-tank-sealer.html
I've had luck with JB Weld, use the original stuff, not the quick set stuff. Fill the tank with water so you can find the spot of the leak, clean and dry the spot to be repaired, let it set for at least 24 hrs, repeat till it holds water. :cool:

I've had luck with JB Weld, use the original stuff, not the quick set stuff. Fill the tank with water so you can find the spot of the leak, clean and dry the spot to be repaired, let it set for at least 24 hrs, repeat till it holds water. :cool:
I have used jb weld several times, it has failed every time. I found a product that works, por-15 part number 49216 it is available thru summit racing and amazon. I sealed three small tanks with one 8 oz can about eight years ago all three still holding fuel with no leaks, one is my hot saw with nitro methanol.

I have used jb weld several times, it has failed every time. I found a product that works, por-15 part number 49216 it is available thru summit racing and amazon. I sealed three small tanks with one 8 oz can about eight years ago all three still holding fuel with no leaks, one is my hot saw with nitro methanol.
Sorry to hear that, guess I've been lucky. I'll look into the por-15. I have an old mac that I need to reseal the tank on, been researching tank sealers.

Latest posts

Back