Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8500 pic
a3f22ae6dca74c2cad63294b0dc556b2.jpg

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Thanks to Acornhill I was able to replace the piston and cylinder on the 3400 today. I thought I remembered that the bearings and seals are the same as the PTO side on the 10 Series McCulloch saws to I decided I might as well split it and replace the seals while I was at it, good thing I did.

View attachment 566103

There was about that much packed between the bearings and the seals as well.

It was all going back together well until I noticed this...

View attachment 566107

I will know the next time to take the oil cap off to prevent anything like this happening again. I now have more practice splitting the case, cleaning off threebond, you get the drift.

I spent an awfully long time trying to remember how the throttle & latch went together but I have the rear handle together and will keep plugging ahead.

Mark

I feel your pain. That deserves a big :crazy2: and a :dumb2:. Just did a dish washer replacement this AM. Everything together checking for clearances and realized the electric was routed wrong. Maybe I should have looked at the really tiny pictures a little better :reading:. Due to lengths of wire and hoses - drain, H2O and electric all back of and back on... But, after its all done :clap:

I now have more practice splitting the case, cleaning off threebond......

That's where Dirko HT is your friend over 1194/1184 and the others. Re-sealing isn't a gooey mess if you need to pull something back apart. It will normally wipe or roll right off in its rubberized state since it isn't designed as an adhesive per se..., only a high temp sealant. Also only needs to be applied to one surface , (not both), for an instant seal which also means you'll typically only need to remove it from one surface if immediate disassembly and re-application is required for whatever reason. In many cases the existing application may even be re-usable. 'Bout the same price as the other popular alternatives if you shop around and buy online. Made by Elring in Germany. Not a Stihl product as many think it is, and may be why the anti-Stihl crowd doesn't give it a second look. Been around a long time in the Euro auto industry and still widely used by Porsche and others.

Pull cylinder on my 3400 to look at the scaring on the cylinder and piston, they look light so I believe they will clean up. Pull both crank seals and found one seal had a crack in it and the other starting to get stiff. So I decided to strip the saw completely apart and go through the hole thing, notice oil starting at leak at the case halves.

Steve

The big Wright reciprocating saws also used the Carter ND, Joe Salve (Sugarcreek Supply) has kits available for them.

The 3400 is now a runner, I may get a chance to use it a bit this coming weekend. Photos will come in a day or two.

Mark

This is not my first go around with the Carter carbs, done 2 before and so far I'm batting .500 on them. The big Wrights like my C70G has a Carter and its a NRD version. I like it better then the ND version on the Remington Super 75GB that I have.

The NRD was something to get going, you have to get it set just perfect for it to start, low needle 3/4 out and high needle like 1 3/4 out.

The ND on the Remington I never did get it figured out. It has a odd fuel pump system in it, has a checkvalve in the inlet pipe and the other in the bottom of the needle and seat assembly. I could get it to run great and would idle for a week, it just never would cut wood without running lean/out of fuel. Finally put a HL on it.

This Poulan FD with the Carter ND is a bit different then the ND on the Remington, H needle on the other side of the carb even. I have the manual for the FD and it gives the carb settings which are completly different then the Remington's.

According to the manual, once setup to begin with, if you have to make a adjustment, you have to adjust both screws together. We will see when I get the Poulan running and mess around with it a bit. Maybe I was just not adjusting the ND on the Remington properly? If I get the Poulan running right, I might have to go revisit the Remy again.

I did get a Sugar Creek diaphragm kit for this like before and even found a NOS Carter ND needle and seat assy with the built in check valve for it.

After taking that carb picture, I dug a bit deeper and found someone had installed the carb gasket upside down, blocking the impulse hole, and then I found one of the 4 reed valves broken completly off. Probably why it got parked years ago.

I have another reed valve and will put the carb gasket on correctly and see what happens.

Has anyone ever come across just the starter pawl or dawg part number for the 3400?, or do you have to buy the whole flywheel if one breaks off at the end.

I see the pawl springs are listed separately.

Has anyone ever come across just the starter pawl or dawg part number for the 3400?, or do you have to buy the whole flywheel if one breaks off at the end.

I see the pawl springs are listed separately.

Yep. The whole flywheel. The pawls are pretty simple to make and the splined studs can be driven out from the rear of the flywheel if you're so inclined. I think I would put a little JB weld on the stud to make sure it says put.

I just edited the post I made above after doing a little research.

I suspect you would find a 5400 IPL with the 5200 piston PN on it and maybe a later 5200 IPL with the 8500 cylinder PN. Looking at my 8500, there's not much room between the cover and the cylinder fins.

If you get a chance to cut with it, I'm pretty sure you'll be impressed. If not, I'll give you $75 for it. :)

l managed to put on the 5400 cyl 012092 and not the 5200 cyl 11259 according to my lPL. l install new aftermarket piston assy from Lil Red Barn USA, everything seems to go together good. Next step is to fuel it up and hopefully l do not need to pour anymore money into it.

Attachments

• 5200 Poulan_001.JPG
    5200 Poulan_001.JPG
    356 KB · Views: 35
  • 5200 Poulan_003.JPG
    5200 Poulan_003.JPG
    513.2 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Back