Echo or Dolmar

• Thread starter Deleted member 149229
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Deleted member 149229

Since being on this site I'm getting strange urges to ad to the herd. Looking at 2 saws, price is comparable, both used. Echo CS-490 or Dolmar 540? Only thing that worries me is the Dolmar owner says saw has new bar and ".375" chain. Oregon chart says this saw should have a .325 chain. Kinda throws a red flag for me. Any input?

Since being on this site I'm getting strange urges to ad to the herd. Looking at 2 saws, price is comparable, both used. Echo CS-490 or Dolmar 540? Only thing that worries me is the Dolmar owner says saw has new bar and ".375" chain. Oregon chart says this saw should have a .325 chain. Kinda throws a red flag for me. Any input?
Normally sub 50cc saws use .325 chains. Wonder if the Dolmar has a .375 low pro chain.

Dolmar/Makita in the past offered their 50cc saws with a choice of 3/8 or .325. If your looking for a new Dolmar things have changed, the new line up is still being put together but right now looks like the PS-510, and 5105 are gone and replaced with the Makita EA5001PREG https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/EA5001PREG. Instead of the CS-490 which is a low cost home owner option you may want to consider spending $120 more and get the new CS-501P lightest weight saw in the 50CC class and 30% more power than the CS-490 plus aluminum handle, and rim sprocket vs spur on the 490.

Hunt up the parts diagram for the Dolmar saw in question. It likely has a splined drum that could take a variety of rim drive sprockets. If the bar has a sprocket nose that must match the chain.

It is "3/8" chain. 1640 drive links per hundred feet is not 0.375 for a chain pitch.

Hunt up the parts diagram for the Dolmar saw in question. It likely has a splined drum that could take a variety of rim drive sprockets. If the bar has a sprocket nose that must match the chain.

It is "3/8" chain. 1640 drive links per hundred feet is not 0.375 for a chain pitch.
Potato or potatoe.

510 and 5105 are still available with .325 or 3/8 bar. 18" or 20".
Dolmar/Makita in the past offered their 50cc saws with a choice of 3/8 or .325. If your looking for a new Dolmar things have changed, the new line up is still being put together but right now looks like the PS-510, and 5105 are gone and replaced with the Makita EA5001PREG https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/EA5001PREG. Instead of the CS-490 which is a low cost home owner option you may want to consider spending $120 more and get the new CS-501P lightest weight saw in the 50CC class and 30% more power than the CS-490 plus aluminum handle, and rim sprocket vs spur on the 490.

Get yourself a Echo CS 520 or 530, muff modded they will run with any 50cc saw, plus lighter than Dolmars 50cc saws. The CS490 or CS500 don't have the power of the CS520 but the CS501 should fix that. Steve

Dolmar PS540 is not a particularly strong running saw for its size and weight. However, a Dolmar 115 top end will bolt right on and turn it into a pretty good saw. Plus then you have the clutch driven oiler. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice handling, well constructed, and good starting saw, but a significant step down in performance from the 115/115i.

And yes, they often came equipped with 3/8 pitch chain, but can be readily converted with a new rim.

If the local domar dealer didn't need to take a long walk off a short cliff I wouldn't have my Echo's. I like my cs490 been a good saw with just a muff mod and retune. The 501 has me thinking about selling it and picking one up to play with.

OP, no need to worry about any red flag. Those Dolmars could be set up for either 0.325 or 3/8", and could be switched just by changing the sprocket and bar.
The 540 is an older model and not overly high revving, but it is a torquey bugger so run whatever chain suits your needs.

You can get a Dolmar 5105 for around $300 on Amazon but it's rebadged as a Maruyama. I've run a few Echos, but I'd pick the Dolmar 5105 over any 50cc Echo. I very much like my 421 and 7900.

The problem with the 5105 is that it is very heavy for a 50cc saw. According to the weight thread on this site its actual weight is 12 lbs 4 oz (empty, PHO):

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/the-unofficial-chainsaw-weight-thread.179406/page-12

The Echo CS-500 weighs just 10lbs 9 ounces, on the same scale. Holding both of them side-by-side the difference seems even larger than that. The 5105 feels ridiculously heavy for a 50cc saw. It feels more like a 60cc saw. In fact the 60cc Husky 555 weighs just 4 ounces more (actual weight, according to the same thread).

Some people don't care much about the weight, in which case the Maruyama is a terrific deal. The 5105 has more power than any of the 50cc Echos, including the new 501. But if you care about weight the Echo may be a better choice.

domars seem to be good saws-- i love my 6100 blue-smurf makita er dolmar--lol

the marymucka for $329 is a steal on a new saw-- but it is catylitic --for me that is a sort of turn off.

Latest posts

Back