The new Dolmar 7910

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Dean

SawAgain
Reaction score
Been monitoring the Makita site and wondering how the new lineup line up is going to look now that Makita has decided to place its brand on the new Dolmars. Well here is a positive change always wondered why the HD Air Kit was not a standard option and now it is! the Makita EA7901PRZ1 https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/EA7901PRZ1
Just ordered them!

Meh, thats not the new lineup I've been waiting for. I was hoping for more options on the 6100 chassis. Or at least a new engine. Something to compete against the 390/395 at the top (might be wise since there is not a lot going on in that segment).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yeah I must admit I was surprised they went with the Dolmar color since they are the 3rd manufacturer with Red/Orange, especially since the Teal Blue was popular and stood out, not to mention it looks strange in contrast to all the other Makita SKU's. I bet there was many heated discussions in the board rooms trying to decide what color to go with, looks like it may have been a John Deere construction equipment must be yellow not green type of decision.

Yes I agree with both Echo and Dolmar basically conceding the 80CC plus market there is a need for these manufactures to compete there and keep that niche competitive!

The unfortunate reality of the HD filter for these is that they mount to an elbow that more constricted than the stock filter's... just doesn't make much sense. I totally agree with the color switch being a huge mistake. The teal blue made it stand out in the crowd.

The unfortunate reality of the HD filter for these is that they mount to an elbow that more constricted than the stock filter's... just doesn't make much sense. I totally agree with the color switch being a huge mistake. The teal blue made it stand out in the crowd.
We tached a 7910 with the small filter and then tached it with the HD kit and got a 400RPM bump with the larger filter

This is our Home Depot DCS 6401 with a Big Bore and the HD filter kit, running up against a stock 7910 it feels like it has a a 10 to 20% power advantage. The log it is sitting on is a test log from one of our Log Home builders, we have to tune his fleet of 7910's to make horizontal (against the grain) cuts in up to 28" logs for 20 to 30 feet to half cut the base logs for a log home. Out of the box 7910's can struggle with this task. The modified Home Depot 6401 has no trouble.

Attachments

• DSC09435.JPG
    DSC09435.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 82
A 6401 is a 7910 with less displacement. BB is a bigger displacement (bigger then the 7910 even) so that it has more power is logical isn't it?

Only a small increase in displacement, my guess is the the increased power the moded 6401 displays comes from the lack of cat muffler, HD air filter, and an unlimited coil which will let her rev to 13,500 vs 12,800.

The DCS 6401 uses the same coil as the 7300, and 7900, the 7910 uses a new coil that is rev limited. The 272 coil can be used with some wire routing challenges.

I don't see the limited coil mattering much in the cut anyhow on a stock saw. Most don't hold 12,000 in the cut anyway...am I missing something?

This is our Home Depot DCS 6401 with a Big Bore and the HD filter kit, running up against a stock 7910 it feels like it has a a 10 to 20% power advantage. The log it is sitting on is a test log from one of our Log Home builders, we have to tune his fleet of 7910's to make horizontal (against the grain) cuts in up to 28" logs for 20 to 30 feet to half cut the base logs for a log home. Out of the box 7910's can struggle with this task. The modified Home Depot 6401 has no trouble.

What brand of big bore are you running on the makita?

Right now in germany the Dolmar 6400 is the most expensive of the bunch. Big bore kits make no sense here. Just buy a 7900. (Or a 6100 if you want anything more modern)

Back