Aftermarket Cylinder for Stihl 039

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jibber

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I see these aftermarket cylinder kits for the Stihl 039. If you search on ebay you'll see what I mean.

I notice a small difference in the bottom of the cylinder. The Stihl cylinder has grooves and even a small tab to hold the crank seals in on either side. The cylinder pictured in the ebay ad seems to be smooth, race-like.

Hope I'm explaining this right. I attach pics of mine and the ebay cylinder. Any advice? Has anyone used one of these aftermarket cylinders?

If you check out my cylinder it looks good.. The damage has been honed.. but there is one imperfection just underneath the exhaust port slightly left of center. It's a small bulge and I'm afraid it could break a ring. Hence.. I need a cylinder.. and if I were to purchase a stihl replacement.. I might as well buy a new saw for what the whole rebuild would cost me.

thanks for any help.

If its not too much money, just try it..if it blows up you aren't out big bucks if it works well, you have a brand new 039. Lakeside has said that Tecomec products are good, made in Italy. Good luck man,
JD

Yeah, you can never have too many saws.

This 039 is in fantastic shape.. I rarely used it. Hate to throw away the parts.. but when it came to buying a replacement.. I opted for the 361 because of the weight savings and power upgrade. A much better saw.

I'm close to making a deal on a Stihl cylinder and parts. 200 bucks is alot.. but I'll have a working 450 dollar saw... right now I have a box of parts that are worthless to me.

can't have too many chainsaws.

Be carefull and check the numbers...

I see these aftermarket cylinder kits for the Stihl 039. If you search on ebay you'll see what I mean.

I notice a small difference in the bottom of the cylinder. The Stihl cylinder has grooves and even a small tab to hold the crank seals in on either side. The cylinder pictured in the ebay ad seems to be smooth, race-like.

Hope I'm explaining this right. I attach pics of mine and the ebay cylinder. Any advice? Has anyone used one of these aftermarket cylinders?

If you check out my cylinder it looks good.. The damage has been honed.. but there is one imperfection just underneath the exhaust port slightly left of center. It's a small bulge and I'm afraid it could break a ring. Hence.. I need a cylinder.. and if I were to purchase a stihl replacement.. I might as well buy a new saw for what the whole rebuild would cost me.

thanks for any help.

The aftermarket P/C kits I've found listed on Ebay as suitable for 039 and MS390 saws have all been MS290/029Super cylinders with a bore of 46mm, and have no provission for the decomp valve assembly used in new production MS390 saws. The listings state that the P/C kits fit (or can be used on) 029, 029Super, MS290, MS310, and MS390 saws. This is true, but misleading. In the item descriptions they list the bore as 46mm. I found these kits on Ebay by doing '039 cylinder' and 'MS390 cylinder' searches.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cylinder-piston...DVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item230104748918

http://cgi.ebay.com/MS-290-310-390-...DVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140087938881

Remember that the 039 and MS390 have a 49mm bore. 029Super and MS290 saws have a 46mm bore. Using the Ebay jugs (at least the ones I've found) will effectively 'downgrade' your saw to an 029Super!

If there are indeed aftermarket 49mm 'true' 039/MS390 P/C kits available for a price similar to what these 029Super units go for then somebody PLEASE let me know! If they're available with provissions for the decomp valve then I'll be even more stoked...

One of the above sellers is a suporter of A/S and has started a great thread in the Chainsaw Forum titled 'New Jugs' (get your mind outa the gutter). An impressive display of market savvy. I mentioned this same question regarding 039 P/C sets. I hope he responds, but will understand if he doesn't as that thread has a lot of branches within it.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=45641

No, I think you're right. And even if they were the same cylinder size you're downgrading from Stihl to something third world.

I think I'm going to get the right parts and do it right. The saw is nearly new.. aside from my senior moment in using gas before I'd mixed the oil.

If it had a bunch of miles on it and were well worn everywhere else I would go with the aftermarket stuff.. but If I fix it myself, even with Stihl parts.. I still save money over a new saw.

not that I'm not interested in new saws.

Hmmm.. maybe a 660?

Back