Milling Big Leaf Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMEK

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have been wanting to purchase an granberg mill for a while now. After I found out a friend of mine had a large maple down at his place I'm ready to order one.
Hoping for some suggestions on the mill I order and my first project, the downed Maple.

I have a ported 066 to use with the mill. I had planned on getting a 36" granberg w/ a 42 " bar.
After looking at this maple I'm realizing the 36" might limit me pretty quickly regarding the size logs I can mill.
I'm thinking now I might order the 48" mill and a 50" bar to start.
Question is, most of the time I imagine the 50" bar would be overkill on the size logs I'm milling. Would a 48" mill be a pita to use on smaller logs w/ say a 36" bar?
My guess is that a 36" mill would work for me 80% of the time.

Here are some photos of the Maple at my friends place.
Large trunk is a solid 36" smaller trunk is 24" or so. The crotch is a good 5' across.
It has been down since last spring. Wood seems to be sound, didn't see any rot.
Look like it has some good potential?

Thanks, Jason

20170328_152629_resized.jpg 20170328_152306_resized.jpg 20170328_152616_resized.jpg 20170328_152317_resized.jpg

I have a pioneer p61 (100cc). I have two bars I use to mill with. I have 24" and 36" bars. I can comfortably mill with the 24" by myself. I can mill with the 36 by myself aswell... But it is a bit of a heavy saw at that point. It's a lot easier with two people. I can cut a max of 32" with my 36" Granberg on my 36" bar. I prefer to move the end bracket in to match the width of the log. It helps to stabilize vibration and add extra rigidity to the mill. I would suggest you get the 48" mill and order the 36" rails aswell. That way you can use your 36" bar for your one man operations.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

You won't notice the extra foot unless your cramped on space were your working, weight difference is negligible, I actually prefer the rails long works amazing if you have a second person there, and milling definitely attracts people, my neighbor frequently stops by and ends helping start and finish cuts for fun.

Definitely mill that puppy! I run a 42" bar (~32" capacity) on fir, maple, NW typicals with good success. I think going longer would be slow going but you could do it. That crotch piece could be exceptional depending on the color. Little hard to tell from pictures, but maybe mill in from the sides? So you would get a 32" long slab if you will?

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. I went ahead and got my mill ordered.
I went w/ a 48" mill and a 42" bar, added in some ripping chain.
Looks like next up will be researching and making an auxiliary oiler.
thanks again!

Hello All,

I have been wanting to purchase an granberg mill for a while now. After I found out a friend of mine had a large maple down at his place I'm ready to order one.
Hoping for some suggestions on the mill I order and my first project, the downed Maple.

I have a ported 066 to use with the mill. I had planned on getting a 36" granberg w/ a 42 " bar.
After looking at this maple I'm realizing the 36" might limit me pretty quickly regarding the size logs I can mill.
I'm thinking now I might order the 48" mill and a 50" bar to start.
Question is, most of the time I imagine the 50" bar would be overkill on the size logs I'm milling. Would a 48" mill be a pita to use on smaller logs w/ say a 36" bar?
My guess is that a 36" mill would work for me 80% of the time.

Here are some photos of the Maple at my friends place.
Large trunk is a solid 36" smaller trunk is 24" or so. The crotch is a good 5' across.
It has been down since last spring. Wood seems to be sound, didn't see any rot.
Look like it has some good potential?

Thanks, Jason

View attachment 568780 View attachment 568781 View attachment 568783 View attachment 568785
Ported 066 should be fine with 42" bar. I hope you have heard that new chain is not sharpened in the best way for milling. Take a close look at the cutters and if you haven't read milling 101 go thru just to find BobL's pic's on optimizing chain for milling.He lives in Perth Australia where the hard woods are terribly difficult to mill. His experience is worth the entry fee which is a bit of time and search. If you find the ripping chain draws too much power, try square chisel skip or grind out every third cutter on the ripping chain. Fewer cutters allowed my mufmodded ms-460 to spin chain around a 42" bar and make decent progress thru 37" ash that sat on the stump in my avatar. The 60" bar on the alaskan carried skip chisel spun by the ms-460 but the cross cut is easier on the power head. Mill safely & enjoy
'

Back