Sachs Dolmar Chainsaws Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is something very cool about the 144's. They are mean bucking and barking saws that are not for the faint hearted. The 143's while better in almost every way, seem docile compared to the 144's.

Thanks mgr , I didn't know ! In France for example it is easy to find a CC non super or a model 112 , easy to find a 123 too but that's all . The older and/or bigger are hard to find and parts ... Forget them
There is something very cool about the 144's. They are mean bucking and barking saws that are not for the faint hearted. The 143's while better in almost every way, seem docile compared to the 144's.
Yes it's exactly that ! :laugh:

I have in my shed at the moment, a cc, ct, 118, 116si, 120si, 144 and 143. I like them all, but if I had to chose one it would be the 120si. If I had to choose between my 120si and my Husqvarna 181se - that would be a hard choice....

I made one with the two 144 . It runs very well , I set the points at 0.3 mm it was only 0.2 , cleaned everything et I found a solution for the air filter , I put special oil on it .
dol 144.jpg
Now I'm waiting for the parts missing but I found everything .

Well my Poulan 5500/144 is going to a new home. Really likes this saw. One of the better looking saws I have owned. The Poulan Green with black top cover looks better than the brick block all orange dolmars.

IMG_2582.JPG IMG_2581.JPG IMG_2578.JPG Well my Poulan 5500/144 is going to a new home. Really likes this saw. One of the better looking saws I have owned. The Poulan Green with black top cover looks better than the brick block all orange dolmars.

Hi there , the 144 is finished , I found the sprocket cover and the wrap handle from a 153 and it runs just fine !
144 (1).jpg 144 (3).jpg
I also get this cc 116 for 20 euros ; put new chain , seals and hoses and it started good but wouldn't rev high so I decided to replace the spark plug cover and everything were ok . It pulls a 30" oem dolmar bar
cc 116 (2).jpg cc 116 (1).jpg cc 116 (3).jpg

6400 is a good runner I built one with a bunch of parts and it worked very well , it's not the 7900 but for 20" job it's good enough .
6400 (8).JPG
I bought a 9000 with a bad crankshaft , guy was saying "it's been sitting for a while and it don't want to start"
9000 (1).JPG9000 (2).JPG
I get this for 50 euros shipped with bar and falling spikes , I "just" need to find a 9010 for parts to put crankshaft and ignition on mine .

$_20.JPG Well in Australia this is a great pic up for a Dolmar lover - especially if they like 120si's. This lot includes two good bottom ends, redeemable cylinders but really importantly 3 clutch covers with working chain brakes. I will get I good saw out of the parts, but possibly two to bring my 120si count up to 4. You just love it when a haul like this comes - I would have paid 10 times as much to try and get individual parts like this compared to 70usd for the job lot.

mmmmmmmmm candy!!!! I just did over a 120si for a friend, what a mean little saw!! It blows my husky 365 away! Anyhow I got a parts donor as a reward and am looking to get her going. Can I swap out the tank assembly to an older magnesium style, smaller capacity's but the plastic one is cooked from being run with loose muffler. Also can I use 6800i parts? Are the the same or some of them? Thanks

Yes, 6800i parts are the same. There are 2 different mag tank assembleys.
One with a round corner and one with a 90 degree corner above the fuel cap.

IMG_4834.JPG Thank you! I will post pics when I get back. I believe my tank has the round corner and everything should fit except the handle needs modification and the throttle linkage is different. I might need the old style linkage or maybe I can switch the throttle trigger.

IMG_4843.JPG IMG_4844.JPG IMG_4846.JPG Well I got her back together and my god, what a savage little beast! The comp was at 125 before. When I pulled it apart the ring gap was way over .020. I checked the new rings and they were right at .004, nice! I switched everything over to the old metal tank and fabbed up a heat shield and exhaust gaskets. Runs really nice but does not oil. Missing pieces,... unsure. Anyway a great start on the road to the woodpile!!

There are very few saws I'd like to have at this point, but a 120si is definitely on the list. Had the chance to get one once locally and didn't know what it was. Kills me every time I think about it. SMH.

There is no doubt that the 120si is one of the great saws of all time and a standout from an era that had the 268xp, 038 mag, Solo 670 and Partner 7000plus. The dolmar is as well made as the stihl, as rugged as the solo and shows pretty much all of them a clean pair of heels in standard trim. An all round legend of a saw only really seen off by the 044 and later the 372xp. I have a little page on Facebook called "Aussie Chainsaw Enthusiasts" where I just did a write up on saws from this era if anyone is interested.

Latest posts

Back