CSM supplies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homemade

Certified Chainsaw Tester
Reaction score
where do you guys get your chainsaw milling supplies? I've been doing some searching and need to get some other stuff and only balieys has the all the stuff i'm looking for. I need a 24" bar and few chains for a husky 281. A short choker cable, and a few wedges.

I'm also looking to mill some 36" soft wood for easier handling for firewood. We got a bunch of wood all diameters up to 10' long. Some hard and some soft. I have a Husky 281 with a 288 cylinder on it and it was ported by randy evens and muff modded. I also have a 32" bar for it. Do you think that is too long for that saw? I'm not going into production here, just want to mill the huge 30"+ size logs into more easier to handle 8 or 12 in thick slabs that can be cross cut. I was looking at making a "beam machine" type of mill. Is a ripping chain really that important if i'm doing a true cross cut. I've noddle plenty of wood and that it sucks when you go with cross cut with a standard chisel chain.

Thanks for the help.

where do you guys get your chainsaw milling supplies? I've been doing some searching and need to get some other stuff and only balieys has the all the stuff i'm looking for. I need a 24" bar and few chains for a husky 281. A short choker cable, and a few wedges.

I'm also looking to mill some 36" soft wood for easier handling for firewood. We got a bunch of wood all diameters up to 10' long. Some hard and some soft. I have a Husky 281 with a 288 cylinder on it and it was ported by randy evens and muff modded. I also have a 32" bar for it. Do you think that is too long for that saw? I'm not going into production here, just want to mill the huge 30"+ size logs into more easier to handle 8 or 12 in thick slabs that can be cross cut. I was looking at making a "beam machine" type of mill. Is a ripping chain really that important if i'm doing a true cross cut. I've noddle plenty of wood and that it sucks when you go with cross cut with a standard chisel chain.

Thanks for the help.
I have not wanted to overwelm my ms-460 with comp chain which was slow and dusty in half way wide cuts milling. On my mill is a 60" bar (oversize for 70cc saw) which crosscut the table top under my arm in avatar. That only worked by using square chisel skip chain & allowing the powerhead to run at fair rpm rather than push/bog. The same chain type was used on 42" bar to mill the log of that stump. Better cutting more chips less dust than the ripping chain I've had a reel of for 6 years or so.
What ever chain you have set rakers to right height to allow cutters to bite, and the cutters have to be as sharp as you can possibly make them. The power head can take a lot of bar if you have a lot of time. That is what Caused me to try skip chain and it is a help but 20 cc's more with skip chain is a larger assist. Now I'm grinding every third cutter out on the milling chain for a loop as experiment to see how well that may work. After that chain mod another loop will be trimmed (ground) RL two ground away R L grind two away and so on to compare speed and smoothness. Warning on square chisel ; sharpening is difficult to learn, takes time to get it right. Mill safe & send pics

I got a bunch of stuff from Madsens. You can go online and download a catalog but you have to call to order. The person I spoke with was very knowledge on saws and CSM. Their prices were competitive and customer service was excellent. I bought the Oregon full chisel square ground skip chain for the 42" bar and used it straight out of the box for milling. The biggest thing that has helped me in achieving a decent finish(I'm a noob) is getting the log up off the ground. Why? Because that way I have more control/balance to operate the mill smoothly by not trying move on my knees. You should read the pinned chainsaw milling 101 if you haven't already. It helped me a lot.

I'm not too concerned with smoothness of the cut. Just looking for the quickest way to slice a big log lengthwise. Is a ripping chain needed? Or will a regular round chisel work just fine? And at 32" bar, the chains I currently have are full skip, will it pull a full house chain either ripping or cross cut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good source of supply for Oregon stuff: Frawley's in New Albin IA, www dot loggerchain dot com. Good prices, fast and reasonable shipping. I've had good results so far with Bailey's WoodlandPro ripping chain- 30RP. Needs sharpening before use. Survives metal-detection well. Good price, same as crosscutting chain by the reel.

Were I interested in turning 36" conifers into firewood, I'd buck to length, then maybe noodle in a bar's width before applying wedges/maul. Enormously easier cuts for all concerned than ripping, and ordinary crosscut chain is all you need. Only firewood I generate with a mill comes from the offcuts. No way would I mill a log for firewood- huge waste of time/effort/resources.

Yeah, I'm sure we'll play around with it first. I didn't want to have to lift/roll/carry...big rounds to the splitter. Was thinking ripping once in half or thirds then bucking would make it easier on the back. We do have a loaded tractor to make it a little better, but man-handling them at the splitter it self will be the challenge.

I don't have the ability currently to make my own chain from a reel and have no interest in it either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back