a note on shop safety

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rb_in_va

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Last night when I was starting up my new (to me) saws my son (4 yo) was nearby. I got it started and was so excited that for a few moments I forgot he was even around. I was revving the saw then turned around and he was gone. It freaked me out a bit because I realized I was not paying attention to where the tip was (which is right at head or neck level for him). I shut off the saw quickly and ran into the house and my son was screaming "are you done?" I guess the sound of the saw startled him and he went running into the house. I learned this lesson the easy way, with no injuries. Fortunately my son is very careful around power equipment, but not all young kids are. Just wanted to pass along a little reminder to be aware even if you are just tinkering in the shop.

Yep.... Bad stuff can happen. Not having kids has left my shop 1000% UNSAFE for kids (or neigbors)... I have to lock it when they are around, but evey now and then I turn around a see a friends kids sitting in a puddle of oil playing with a chisel, or worse..

Heck, my shop isn't even safe for ME!

On a similar thought..
My wife now knows better that to try to get my attention "in person" when I'm running my tools in the shop... she now just flashes ONE SET of the lights...

Last night when I was starting up my new (to me) saws my son (4 yo) was nearby. I got it started and was so excited that for a few moments I forgot he was even around. I was revving the saw then turned around and he was gone. It freaked me out a bit because I realized I was not paying attention to where the tip was (which is right at head or neck level for him). I shut off the saw quickly and ran into the house and my son was screaming "are you done?" I guess the sound of the saw startled him and he went running into the house. I learned this lesson the easy way, with no injuries. Fortunately my son is very careful around power equipment, but not all young kids are. Just wanted to pass along a little reminder to be aware even if you are just tinkering in the shop.

AMEN!

Good reminder and glad it was a lesson learned without injury.

Thanks,

Jack

Nice post and thanks for the reminder. Our son is a bit over 2 and loves chainsaws, blowers, trimmers, or anything that looks mechanical. He's also very afraid when an engine is running. He's scared and fascinated at the same time whenever I start an engine, but as soon as its off, he's jumping to see what I've been using. I try to remember to remind him that the engine and especially exhaust are HOT. After I tell him his excitement usually calms, but I'm afraid one day he's going to grab something he shouldn't. The key, as you very well put it, is to stay alert and always keep safety first in mind.

Dan

Yep.... Bad stuff can happen. Not having kids has left my shop 1000% UNSAFE for kids (or neigbors)... I have to lock it when they are around, but evey now and then I turn around a see a friends kids sitting in a puddle of oil playing with a chisel, or worse..

Heck, my shop isn't even safe for ME!...

I'm in the same boat, though having my labrador as a shop dog does keep me from leaving too much stuff down at that level. The workbench, on the other hand, is not a safe area...

After I had a splitting wedge fly off a log and cut me in the leg about 4mm before I even knew what happened, I won't split wood when my 2 year old is anywhere in the backyard.

Crap like that happens SO fast. It happened partially because I lost all fear of my wedges/maul/sledge and the damage they can inflict.

Don't forget about the noise

I can still remember my dad's chainsaw physically hurting my ears when I was young. Now, after 30+ years in a paper mill I have limited hearing and the noise doesn't bother me. I'd sure take the time to make sure the kids aren't exposed to anything that could damage their hearing.

Keep an eye out for pets too. I have a two year old yellow lab that freaked out one day when I fired my old Mac 10-10. He started barking and jumping on me....even tried to bite the bar....no joke.

He's fine with other saws, it just that one that he doesn't like.

I can still remember my dad's chainsaw physically hurting my ears when I was young. Now, after 30+ years in a paper mill I have limited hearing and the noise doesn't bother me. I'd sure take the time to make sure the kids aren't exposed to anything that could damage their hearing.

Yes, good point! A child's hearing is much more sensitive than and adults. I thought a person needed to be exposed for a lengthy period of time for hearing loss to occur. What?

It is both.

When I was young my hearing was pretty fair, and when a saw would start I was gone.... Both the sound and the thought of a sharp chain flying scared me.

Yesterday I cranked up the 440 for about 6 blocks that were just a little long. I forgot to get the ear muffs. It is only 6 cuts.... I realized that I still can't handle the noise. ears were ringing for half hour for that one. :bang: And my hearing is terrible compared to normal people!!! Wow. Then inside, it is LOUDER yet!
No wonder the boy split....

-Pat

Well, I began starting it in the garage. Then once it burped I brought it out side the garage door to start it up.

The guilt that follows a parent through life that something they did, that was preventable, ends up harming their children, is something that will eat a parents soul for life.

My kids still cause their own aches and pains, but that's part of being a little kid. We are there to heal and love, not to harm.

Not a saw accident, but could have been just as bad..... My buddy calls me one morning and tells me he bought a motorcycle for a song, a '93 Suzuki GSX-R 600 that needed a head gasket. He came by and wanted to use my bike trailer to go get it, I was'nt doing anything so I went with him to get it. We brought it back to my house and put it in the shop, he had worked all night and not been to bed and was completely worn out, afraid he'd fall asleep driving home, he asked me if he could crash on my couch for a few hours. Later that evening his wife and little boy stopped by to see the bike, he was still asleep. She and I were sitting out in the yard talking when we heard a big crash in the shop. The little boy (5 years old) had climbed up on the bike and it had turned over on it's side trapping him underneath, the sharp aluminum footpeg missing his head by mere inches. Luckily he was unhurt, we had'nt even noticed that he had gone in there. It only takes a second for a disaster to happen. Matt

Hey I remember when my grandfather used to fire up his chainsaw and the noise was scary until I got used to it. My dog would also bark whenever I'd fire up a saw until she figured out what it was too. It is a good idea to be careful with the little kids. I guess its better for them to be a little scared than to want to use dad's stuff.

On a similar thought..
My wife now knows better that to try to get my attention "in person" when I'm running my tools in the shop... she now just flashes ONE SET of the lights...

Ive been schooled in a shop environment since I was 10 or so.

I just love it when someone who doesn't know better (but should) comes up behind me or bursts through the door when Im running a lathe or mill.:jawdrop: :dizzy: :angry: :blob2:

Great thread. Tried to rep, but have to 'spread it around'. I Don't have any youngin's yet, and he/she won't be in my 'shop' for a few years. My dad was pretty safety conscious and I've become that way and more since I started using saws. As I get older, I get more safety minded - sometimes I annoy my wife, but I explain my reasons and she usually understands :) .

Kevin

Keep an eye out for pets too. I have a two year old yellow lab that freaked out one day when I fired my old Mac 10-10. He started barking and jumping on me....even tried to bite the bar....no joke.

He's fine with other saws, it just that one that he doesn't like.

Good point. We have a Queensland Healer like that. He doesn't care what I do but if my wife picks up a saw, a weed-eater, even a drill, he'll attack it. And I mean attack...he wants to kill it. He almost got a face full of 032 bar the first time my wife ran a saw...now he stays in the truck.

Yeah, i remember also when i was a kid and sound of running chainsaw actually hurt my ears so i usually ran several meters away and covered my ears when my dad started the saw... but now, at the age of 18 i find that i can run chainsaw at construction site without ear protection and it only souds loud...

The guilt that follows a parent through life that something they did, that was preventable, ends up harming their children, is something that will eat a parents soul for life.

My kids still cause their own aches and pains, but that's part of being a little kid. We are there to heal and love, not to harm.

I think that still happens even when the child has grown and gets hurt.

I almost dropped a tree on my head when I pushed it over with our tractor. Dad was the one that had me knock it down and was watching as it happened. It only smashed my had on the controls of the tractor but to watch his reaction after it happened you could have sworn that I was dead. I was 23 when this happened and have never seen him freak out like that.

Heck, my shop isn't even safe for ME!

On a similar thought..

I'm more of a computer nerd than a chain saw guy... Ever had a nekid woman appear between your keyboard and screen??? I have!!!
Makes you forget what was so important on the puter.

Back