Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really liking this saw. This is a Chinese cylinder 350 that @mortalitool did for me. This was a frustrating build as it seemed that everything needed replacing. Literally every moving part except for the rod bearing was replaced. But now she runs like a new saw and with a mild muffler mod she pulls nice too. I think I'm on tank #4 since reassembly and I'm all smiles.

IMG_7614.JPG

I'm really liking this saw. This is a Chinese cylinder 350 that @mortalitool did for me. This was a frustrating build as it seemed that everything needed replacing. Literally every moving part except for the rod bearing was replaced. But now she runs like a new saw and with a mild muffler mod she pulls nice too. I think I'm on tank #4 since reassembly and I'm all smiles.

View attachment 570869
Reading this makes me want to start on my 51/55 project. Have a feeling with BG delete and muff opened up it will out run my cs490.

Well, my wife has given up asking questions like "Don't you think we have enough wood", and "What, you're going scrounging again!?!?". I think part of her died. Still, it gets me out of the house and getting some exercise. Today's scrounge involved a left over log from last week and some small branch material from Tuesday. The peppermint branch material amounted to just over one row in the trailer and didn't really qualify for a photo. Here's the remaining log that was from above the fork in the main trunk.

6th Apr 1.jpg

Limby smashed the fat end of the log.

6th Apr 2.jpg

While old faithful took care of business down the smaller end.

6th Apr 3.jpg

I really didn't think there was enough wood there to fill the trailer but it turned out to be a good load (in my trailer at least), about 1.4m worth, a bit over 1/3 cord. This one tree produced four trailer loads or 1.5 cords which I'm pretty pleased with since it wasn't really a big one. I think this is load 29? Can't quite remember what I'm up to.

6th Apr 4.jpg

:)

Reading this makes me want to start on my 51/55 project. Have a feeling with BG delete and muff opened up it will out run my cs490.
Once I get the other saws off my bench I'm definitely going to look for 51/55 and 350 family saws to do another build. Parts are cheap (at least when you don't need ALL of them) and they are great little runners.

Once I get the other saws off my bench I'm definitely going to look for 51/55 and 350 family saws to do another build. Parts are cheap (at least when you don't need ALL of them) and they are great little runners.
How much of a complete saw are you looking for. I have a 51 I am robbing the covers off of I'll give you. You can pick it up when you come down turkey hunting. I have already robbed the coil. I might even let you talk me out of a disassembled l65 I am having trouble finding a flywheel for.

Yo! Bandwith challenged zogger here....been slowly beavering away at the oakzilla remnants and picking up the odd small tree here and there. Tedious / slow, twisty wood and a lot of old rusty metal. Noodling a lot now. Every piece is wedges and sledge or noodling or both, very little clean one strike splits left. Way too much oddball size chunks though, but..it's good wood, I'll burn it. Also scrounged up another ratsun truck, an 82. Same truck, 2wd kingcab diesel. Saved up and looked for one for a few years, finally found one. Don't mind throwing money and labor at this one, much less beat up or rusty than the original ratsun. So far just new treads, clutch master and slave.IMG_20170323_151335.jpg

Datson???
Just kidding.
I had a 280 Z. Bought it almost new, from a young couple that found out they were pregnant, and wanted to get into a house of their own.
Loved driving that thing.
'86 maybe? Straight six, fuel injected... Nice clean car.

So far, hanging on to the 81 intact, cranks and runs good, but 5th and reverse going out. That's what pushed me to go get another one. I have options, keep it as a pure parts vehicle, use it for a 720 4wd diesel conversion, OR, speaking of Zs, get one and convert it to diesel and get an amazing good MPG highway car. If you can get close to 40 with the truck, I bet a taller geared and less drag car like the Z might get 50-60. Won't be fast, but...

Anyway, spring..bushwhacked the beard for the mama birdies for their nests, so you are still king!

Oh dear, my wood piles may have got a little out of hand. Pictures will tell a thousand words.... It's dark now but I'll get you a photo to judge me by tomorrow. For now try and picture a semi detached house in suburban London, small (about 8m deep from road to house wall) mainly lawned front garden, flower bed infront of house and about half a cord of locust, yet to be split, piled loosely against the wall of the house behind the flower bed. Note also this is suburban London, everyone is on mains gas. However, wood stoves have become the must have item of the middle class, about 200 000 new installs a year in the UK. So most Londoners know nothing about wood as a fuel, but a growing number want it. Now returning to the point, my possible err.... Addiction having got ooc, tonight, i had a knock on the door. I answer it to find a guy who says he has seen the wood out front and.... Would i like to sell some? I nearly fell over! I said no. Then a few minutes later i thought i should have said i have some ash be could have for £50

So far, hanging on to the 81 intact, cranks and runs good, but 5th and reverse going out. That's what pushed me to go get another one. I have options, keep it as a pure parts vehicle, use it for a 720 4wd diesel conversion, OR, speaking of Zs, get one and convert it to diesel and get an amazing good MPG highway car. If you can get close to 40 with the truck, I bet a taller geared and less drag car like the Z might get 50-60. Won't be fast, but...

Anyway, spring..bushwhacked the beard for the mama birdies for their nests, so you are still king!
We gotta see pics of before and after plus the birds carrying the pieces!

Also nice score on the truck!

How much of a complete saw are you looking for. I have a 51 I am robbing the covers off of I'll give you. You can pick it up when you come down turkey hunting. I have already robbed the coil. I might even let you talk me out of a disassembled l65 I am having trouble finding a flywheel for.
Ooh sounds like a plan.

I'm sure I can scrounge up the rest if I start with that.

You know next year I'm not getting her anything for her birthday. My buddy said don't get her any appliances or kitchen crap, get her something big that vibrates. So I did and she's still not happy. I even bought her a case of LED light bulbs to lower the hydro bill and still I get the WHF look as I drive in the driveway and go past the kitchen window. There was a few black hats at the sale. I didn't buy the truck but man what a great rig, it had a 12' flat bed on it and was pulling a triaxle trailer heavy enough to carry a D9 Cat.
IMG_20170406_175902.jpg IMG_20170406_093051.jpg IMG_20170406_175916.jpg

Latest posts

Back