I'm now important!

• Thread starter Deleted member 149229
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is more to this story and Echo isn't buying it. If you knew the saw was lean then why not tune it properly?

If you retune the saw you void the warranty, as big a joke as the warranty is I should have removed the limiters and retuned it.

I was a machinist for 40 years and also did N.D.T., non destructive testing. Don't know if it can be seen in the pic but along the break, part is shiny indicating a fresh break and part is dark indicating a fault that was present during combustion and filled with exhaust particles over a period of time. Yes, a bad casting.

That piston looks like it might have had a casting inclusion.
Or some piece of metal got in the combustion chamber the muffler from manufacturing.
Or your nitrous nozzle was too big.

I was a machinist for 40 years and also did N.D.T., non destructive testing. Don't know if it can be seen in the pic but along the break, part is shiny indicating a fresh break and part is dark indicating a fault that was present during combustion and filled with exhaust particles over a period of time. Yes, a bad casting.
That's eactly what I was seeing too.
If the saw was "carburetor leaned out", it would have screetched the piston in the first good flogging, from heat.
I think they are probably voiding the coverage of warranty due to them thinking protocol was not followed, or some condition of the saw's use was unacceptable to consider covering.
Some dealers are lazy, and don't see warranties as a necessary and responsible part of being a authorized dealer like they should.
The court system is really your only recourse if you want to "fluff the sheet", and make them take a second look at your claim. That is probably not a feasible thing to do, but it's your money and time.
I know there are two sides to every story too.

The saw sat at my dealer for 9/10 months after I took it in. Echo kept putting him off, wouldn't return calls or emails after he sent them the pics they asked for. Dealer went out of business so I finally sent the saw back on my own. Talked to the service rep and he was a snotty/cocky prick, just like many design engineers I put up with over the years, couldn't tell/explain anything to him, he knew it all.

The saw sat at my dealer for 9/10 months after I took it in. Echo kept putting him off, wouldn't return calls or emails after he sent them the pics they asked for. Dealer went out of business so I finally sent the saw back on my own. Talked to the service rep and he was a snotty/cocky prick, just like many design engineers I put up with over the years, couldn't tell/explain anything to him, he knew it all.
Just go above his head, or write an open letter to the CEO of Echo, unless of course you have already.

Just go above his head, or write an open letter to the CEO of Echo, unless of course you have already.

Went to the head of, lol, Customer Service. She told me Service Reps have final say, end of story. She won't return my calls or emails after that brief conversation. And I wasn't rude or crude.

A letter to the president / CEO of a company can go a long ways. So many years ago, I found myself sending a letter to the CEO of UPS. In a nutshell, his employees messed up big time in regards to a parcel I had sent.

I sent him a copy of the delivery tracking from his company. I was reimbursed the cost of shipping the parcel, and I was also sent two free prepaid Express envelopes, and a letter of apology.

And, the supervisor of our local UPS depot called and apologized as well. I was told that if I ever had any further issues with UPS, to call and ask for him directly. He sent me a business card with his direct line phone number.

Yes, there are times when it pays to start at the top of the food chain.

I'd get a list of execs and both email and snail mail all of them.

If you are writing real letters be sure to meter them out so they don't all arrive at the same time and the mail room person figures out what you are up to.

Small claims court, and get someone else with official cred to offer a notarized statement about the piston casting flaw.

Small claims court, and get someone else with official cred to offer a notarized statement about the piston casting flaw.

Put a hold on that for a second. Anyone qualified to provide a notarized statement, professional engineer or material scientist, will require testing to be completed and several hours of analysis. That would cost you several thousand dollars before your legal bills. All for a, what $400 chainsaw?

Be upset, tell a few others of your frustrations, switch brands and move on.

Put a hold on that for a second. Anyone qualified to provide a notarized statement, professional engineer or material scientist, will require testing to be completed and several hours of analysis. That would cost you several thousand dollars before your legal bills. All for a, what $400 chainsaw?

Be upset, tell a few others of your frustrations, switch brands and move on.

Agree 100%.

It may be difficult to walk away, but after doing it a few times it is not so bad. A few years ago I bought a splitter because it was on sale and it appeared to be a compact unit easy to move. Well it did not last a month and the engine totally grenaded. My friend who owned a Stihl dealership looked at it and said for sure he would write a report and receive a new engine. The manufacture said yes it was under warranty, but it took six months to get the replacement and it was only a short block. After tearing down the engine and putting in all the gaskets it came to two days of messing around with that darn thing. It surely was not worth the trouble. My car that I bought with .6 miles had several issues that were under warranty in less than 4 years. My dealer made all kinds of excuses why they could not fix it. They wanted me to bring it in and leave it overnight thus costing me more than a day of lost work. I ran it into my shop replaced the ignition and idler bearing for under $300 in one long day. Then I bought a saw from Home Depot just to have around the house for small misc. stuff and it lasted all of three times before it totally burnt up. It had no tampering by me at all so it got dumped into the scrap pile. It just does not pay. What ever I buy it is done good or bad. Never lose any sleep over a failed item. I run them like they are stolen. Thanks

Latest posts

Back