Dolmar 421problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if your dealer fixed the air leak ( sounds like that was the problem) and had not changed the carburator settings, (because it did cut okay until it ran lean before any attempt at a fix), then it should have run okay after bearings and seals were replaced. I'm wondering if he even took it apart to install the new seals/bearings but simply played with the carburator settings hoping to cover it up enough to get by. Just guessing because it sounds like your dealer comes up with a lot of strange excuses. I think your only recourse is to keep pestering Makita.
If you recall the dealer said he retuned the saw when he had it in February he said he turned the high out 3/4 turn

I guess I'm going to have to get a tach and a DD screwdriver and look up specs for my saw (rpm high and low) . I really liked d the saw when it worked properly but the customer service / warranty leaves a LOT to be desired!!!!

actually it doesn't matter where the carb was set before repairs, he should have re'tacked it to factory specs. then wood tested.

Twice in Feb. Drop off and pick up. Once in March drop off once in April pick up . 4 round trips 84 miles each .

I just heard back from my dealer . He said he didn't know what to tell me . He said you saw the wood we cut. I asked if he tach tuned the saw . He said he tuned with 89 octane fuel and if I was running high octane that would make it run richer. I'm running 90 octane no E now my other saws run just fine with it with no retune. He said factory setting is 1 1/2 on the low 3 on the high. He said we stand behind our work if you want us to try and fix it.

Dolmar PDF service notes I have say 1 1/2 low 2 1/4 high . Anyone here have any different info??

The dealer said he did a leak test after the fix. I asked why the first test didn't show a leak and the last one before repair did. He said they ran the saw and got it hot the last time then tested while hot. He said he tested at 2 bar and it took almost the whole 20 seconds to show then he said soap bubbles showed a leak under the flywheel???
sounds like he was pressure testing to find bad seals. Leaking seals rarely show up testing like that, no wonder he couldn't find the leak.

If I were you I would not touch the thing. I'd run it back over there as is and cut wood in front of him. If you think the wood he was cutting was junk then take your own. Let him know ahead of time you're coming.

You're not stopped from cutting in the interim. You come across as knowing enough you should be able to make this guy do his job.

Tune it. Cut wood. You may need to tune it at any time, so you will need the tool anyway. Why on earth would you drive all that way to have someone else twiddle a little scew?

Like it or not, tuning a saw is part of using one.

If you know how to tune it id just order the DD and retune yourself. And while your at it id order all the other types of adjuster screwdrivers. I just did for about 50 bucks or so.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back