Why I work alone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't say I've ever cut with someone who put me in danger.

I have cut with folks who were either no help or actually a hindrance. One fellow was so enthralled with showcasing his Granberg File N Joint, Council Tools axes, and Poulan Pro saws that the two of us cut less wood than I would have alone. That was the last time I'll cut with him.

I have seen a lot of that too. Not so much with wood tools, but give a man a new toy and he has to bragg about it and say why it is better than what anybody else has. Now that I think about it, I am a little like that too, but of course I am always right.

I have seen a lot of that too. Not so much with wood tools, but give a man a new toy and he has to bragg about it and say why it is better than what anybody else has. Now that I think about it, I am a little like that too, but of course I am always right.

I get excited showing off new toys and tools and I'm sure it is sometimes taken as bragging about having something better than what others have.

But it is really just sharing excitement about the item at hand.

The only bragging I do is about being one that never brags.

For me there does not seem that many choices exist other than to work alone. My son worked with me a few years back until working with the USDA and in the private sector work was so unpredictable that he went off to work for some one with a daily schedule. There have been many years when there have been as many as six regular employees, but working seven days a week twelve hours a day is required to make sure every body has what they need to get through the day. I partnered with a few people who were into tree work and firewood, but they still seemed to need some baby sitting too. Last summer I took a good friend to my project for a few days, but became so irritated with his complaining about everything that the trip was cut short. Getting a reliable trust worthy ground person has been a real challenge when doing tree removals. However climbing has been kept to a very minimum for the last ten years. So working alone for most part is just an acceptable way of life for me and several others that I have met along the way. As my age has increased the desire to work more than eight hours a day has also disappeared so working at my pace in a safe manner is just the way it is. Also for many this fact will be of concern in that I am not a big fan of safety gear. Back in my USDA days it was a requirement to wear an issued hard hat that resulted in skin cancer where the sun was reflected on the side of my head. Although I own several hard hats and helmets it is rare if they are ever worn. For the last several summers shorts with my knee pads was the order of the day. I tried to use safety chaps, but discovered that they cause me to be careless in the way of planning my cutting and they are down right uncomfortable when it is 80 to 90F. However my preparation of my equipment and back up for pretty much everything has to be above the usual high standards. My road is hazardous only eight feet wide in places, location remote, nearly three hours to civilization, but the view and the wild life make it pretty attractive. Of course there is an unlimited supply of great firewood. Thanks

Attachments

• D7.jpg
    D7.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 42
  • D12.jpg
    D12.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 46
  • DCP03609.JPG
    DCP03609.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 41
I like to work alone much of the time because I find it to be more work or a distraction at times to be worrying/thinking about what the other person is doing, or finding things for them to do. I formulate a game plan in my head and execute it; if i have to delegate to someone how I want things to happen, it takes my attention away from the plan and productivity suffers.

My dad breaks my stones for not calling him to help me when I do certain jobs, but for me its just simpler to do them rather than schedule it for when he has time to help, come up with two sets of tasks for us each to handle, making sure he has what he needs to do his tasks, etc. Like I'll hand him one of my saws and for some reason it wont start or run right, or he'll need another tool and wont be able to find it in my messy shop without me stopping to help, etc. And on the other hand, if my wonderful wife is "helping", 75% of the time it means she is questioning why I'm doing something, or why I'm doing it that way, should I try it this way, etc etc....which as you all know isn't really helpful at all :rolleyes:. Or similarly, she'll need my help doing the thing I asked her to do to help me....and then what I need to do never gets done haha.

I like working alone, I never much consider the safety aspects- I'm just careful I guess, but I understand that doesn't make me immune. I take "calculated risks" more often then I oughta and have had a few close calls for sure! :innocent:

I have been very fortunate that since I started cutting at my friends place . my friend and I work well together he stays in his skid steer for the most part and I keep him busy moving logs and brush.

I do have to let him stop and warm up while I cool down , cutting on a 35 degree sunny day with no wind he is wearing several layers ,coveralls and mittens and I am down to a t-shirt.

my children on the other hand I swear it takes more time to get them to do anything than if I just did it myself and I am just worn out with them.

my youngest 12 failed to do her job taking care of washing laundry this week and so when I realized at 11:30 pm I wasn't going to have a towel for a morning shower rather than just run a load myself I woke her up and had her collect up dirty towels and start a load , she hated me but she has to learn also. seriously 5-10 minutes twice a day any time that works for her is all I am asking I don't even require towels to be folded just in a basket near the bathroom.

as much as it takes more time and is painful I am trying to educate the kids and get them to work. it must be working some because their teachers keep telling us how they have such a great work ethic , I feel sorry for society if the half time, half speed, half effort is good work ethic for 2017. maybe they are different kids at school they do have good grades and complain that on group projects they are the only ones working , but I would like to see more work ethic at home.
my oldest is a strait A student and I really see her work on all things school and she is my best chore finisher I ask she groans but she does it.

the other two have good grades.

my two girls want nothing to do with cutting or stacking wood the youngest gets drug out to help stack in the shed , my son is better but needs to be drug from in front of the computer.

my son is 13 and been splitting since he was about 10 even if it sometimes feels like he splits in slow motion at least he is doing it when I tell him it is time and take him out to cut and split.

it is just very tiring to get three teens to do their chores.

I am sure it is very difficult to get "adult children" to work (people who got older but never left their teen brain behind) I hear your frustrations.

I have an uncle who hires for a foundry and forge , he will not hire anyone under 25 unless he knows their prior employer and they come well recommended.

my wife tells me I have to stop reminding her that I was living on my own going to tech school and working 7 days a week at 17.

my wife bought me a t-shirt at walmart the other day for my frustrations.20170407_110023.jpg

if my wonderful wife is "helping", 75% of the time it means she is questioning why I'm doing something, or why I'm doing it that way, should I try it this way, etc etc....which as you all know isn't really helpful at all :rolleyes:. Or similarly, she'll need my help doing the thing I asked her to do to help me....and then what I need to do never gets done haha.
Right here describes my parents in law. MIL "supervises" FIL and tells him how to do the job (for her) until he gets pist and walks away.

I guess I would work with somone if they would show up.
I hired a guy 3 weeks ago and he worked 2 days and called off the rest so far. Showed up Tuesday to look around and paid his rent said he would be there for sure tomorrow called off every day since.
Chad

Right here describes my parents in law. MIL "supervises" FIL and tells him how to do the job (for her) until he gets pist and walks away.

Its always lose/lose for me. Sometimes, I just ignore her and keep working...then she gets mad and says WHY AREN'T YOU LISTENING TO ME?!. Sometimes, I do it her way, and when it goes wrong/takes longer/is more difficult, I point that out, and she gets mad. Other times, I really DO need her help, but its just to hold something like a light while I work, and I'll just grab it and say I can take it from here...and then she gets mad.

I think the concept that helping means doing what the other person asks of you and nothing more is lost at times haha.

Its always lose/lose for me. Sometimes, I just ignore her and keep working...then she gets mad and says WHY AREN'T YOU LISTENING TO ME?!. Sometimes, I do it her way, and when it goes wrong/takes longer/is more difficult, I point that out, and she gets mad. Other times, I really DO need her help, but its just to hold something like a light while I work, and I'll just grab it and say I can take it from here...and then she gets mad.

I think the concept that helping means doing what the other person asks of you and nothing more is lost at times haha.
My FIL goes in to the project expecting to finish it late and over budget because he's going to do everything right the first time.

MIL expects him to finish it perfectly in one sitting, ahead of schedule, and under budget. They might be able to compromise on time and budget but she also expects it completed using her methods and that's where the wheels fall off the bus as she often has no idea what the project actually entails.

I work alone often. when ever I'm with someone they usually stand there and watch me.

and often i'm the one who has to start their saws, adjust the chains and remind them NOT to cut into the ground

My FIL goes in to the project expecting to finish it late and over budget because he's going to do everything right the first time.

MIL expects him to finish it perfectly in one sitting, ahead of schedule, and under budget. They might be able to compromise on time and budget but she also expects it completed using her methods and that's where the wheels fall off the bus as she often has no idea what the project actually entails.

Last night, the two of us (wife and I) were assembling the Harbor Freight greenhouse I got her for christmas. Beginning with the "foundation" box that I insisted on building out of 2x12s, even though she thought we could just set it on some bricks on the ground. Expecting her to badger me the entire time, I was pleasantly surprised- she followed my lead, handed me tools, and worked with me the entire time. We had a blast, and did what the reviews said would take 5+ hours in under 3. She gets lost in the instruction booklet and the details. For me, it was like a giant erector set- I just looked at the picture, looked at the pieces, and started building it haha.

That's great!

My wife and I usually work well together provided she doesn't fire up "the tone" and I don't comment on the fact that "the tone" has been fired up. :D

Although usually one of us does the work and the other runs interference on the kids.

I work by myself because that's just how it is. There's two people I know I can call and they will show up when they say they will my brother and my good friend Dave. @farmer steve has been very helpful to me since I joined AS also. He's showed up when I need knowledge above and beyond the firewood hack level.

Sounds like a Super Split style splitter?

From the link:

Submitted By: T (Muskegon, MI, USA)

My step son was helping his friend split wood on his friend’s mother’s property for their house. His friend hit the release button on the log splitter too soon causing my stepson to loose the upper portion of his right hand middle finger.

(Cologne might help you get folks to work with you).

Seriously, anyone can sue for any reason. Reading the article, it appears that he sued because he did not have any medical insurance, and this was the only way to pay his medical bills.

Choose your companions wisely.

Working alone is often the first part of many fatality reports - no one to help / get help.

Philbert

And sometimes you are a teenager at your job doing exactly what you are supposed to and the idiot you are assigned to work with activates the splitter while you are loading a log and you lose a finger but can't sue because workers comp will 'take care of you' by giving you a whopping 20,000. Oh did I mention the employer was told 5 and the day before that if your employee is under 18 they can not work on or near the splitter. GRRRR.

Back