Who Uses A Come Along Winch To Make Of Tree Felling Location?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welllit

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
3 times now, I've used a come along winch and a dead man plus screwed in bolts to fell trees to make certain where they landed and it's worked every time.

Yes, every time, it's worked. I crank for 3/5 days in advance, cranking a few cranks per day before I begin sawing.

Is this a common practice?

I did this on my own - it just seemed practical.

Anyone else do this?

I've pulled many trees with a comealong if I had to make sure they did not hit something, but I never pulled them ahead of time, and why screw in bolts? just put the chain- cable- strap or rope around them, but then I'me from the country.

I've pulled many trees with a comealong if I had to make sure they did not hit something, but I never pulled them ahead of time, and why screw in bolts? just put the chain- cable- strap or rope around them, but then I'me from the country.
Me too. I keep a tool bag ready with light winching kit- nylon slings & straps. Often I have to haul that stuff some distance from a road, and a bunch of chains get real heavy, real quick. And ... you don't have to pull directly in line with the hinge. Within ~20 deg works fine.

Yes, every time, it's worked. I crank for 3/5 days in advance, cranking a few cranks per day before I begin sawing. Is this a common practice?
Not at all common and impractical, especially when one goes to take down a tree many miles from home. Besides, if you're inducing a lean (backside of tree is under tension and winch side is under compression), you could create what's known as a barber chair ... very dangerous.

I've used a come along to pull tires, most also had another rope tied off up high to another tree to get them to drop 90 degrees to their lean.
I couldn't drop them in the swimming pool they all hung over

I actually just purchased one of those continuous rope come-alongs from wesspur last night. I plan to pull over back learners and widowmakers with it, looks real handy.

If it's the Masdaam, be careful, they don't have massive amounts of pulling power.
I don't think it's an authentic Masdaam, but it's the same design. The landowner I'm working with has a row of good sized cottonwoods with a slight side lean toward an irrigation pump of some sort. Hopefully it's enough, I'm not trying to completely redirect the tree.

Beast,

You posted: "Where I work every tree has to have a 5 to 1 attached and a porta rap to take out any slack."

Ah, I haven't a clue what that means.

Would be so kind as to elaborate for the less well informed, like me...and thank you.

A 5 to 1 is two double sheeve pulleys. A prussic attaches pulleys to the line your pulling(one pulling tree over). The 5 to 1 is attached to a portawrap.The portawrap to a tree.
As you pull the tipping line the slack is taken up on the portawrap to prevent slack in the line if the 5 to 1 failed. It sounds complicated, but it works good.
On a heavy leaner we might use two set ups like this on one, pulling tree from two angles.

If it's the Masdaam, be careful, they don't have massive amounts of pulling power.
I have a Masdaam it works fine but it can slip unless you tail the slack. It does have limits yes but it is pretty effective if used with sense. If its a big back leaner I have my 12000 pound winch and the puller and a ratchet binder strapped tight 4 feet or so above the cut no chair there :) It however still ain't my 20 ton pto winch I used to have but I have pulled some serious stuff with the puller and winch and fairly serious with puller only. The only problem I have with the puller is speed of pull, come to think of it the electric winch is too slow too but my Brraden pto was the cats meaow of pulling power, it would uproot 20" diameter trees :eek: it was two speed too plus gas :)

Back