MS 461 or MS 661 CM?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone for all the insight. I'm going to order a 661 CM from my dealer with the 28" Lite Bar.

Here is why I'm going with the 661 461:

1. Better AV than the 461
2. Stainless Muffler
3. CM
4. More of dat ass

Some very smart people have pointed out here that the 461 is likely plenty of saw, and I believe it is. For the small weight penalty, however, I'm going to try the 661 as we really do have some massive oak trees here and I think that most of the time bucking and felling, the weight of the saw will be supported by the tree. For limbing and felling smaller trees I will use my 261. If the 661 proves to be too much saw, I'll wait and pick up the next generation of Stihl professional 70CC saw. I'll report back with saw **** when I get it.

I would step up the bar size to a 32" Light...A better option for the 661.

Normally I agree with you Brad, but I think a 28" is a lot more usable on a day to day basis. If I had a 261 and a 661, I'd probably want a 16 on the 261 and a 20" regular RSN bar, a 28" light bar, and a 36" cheapo Forester bar for the 661. In my mind that gives you a lot of versatility without breaking the bank too bad.

Normally I agree with you Brad, but I think a 28" is a lot more usable on a day to day basis. If I had a 261 and a 661, I'd probably want a 16 on the 261 and a 20" regular RSN bar, a 28" light bar, and a 36" cheapo Forester bar for the 661. In my mind that gives you a lot of versatility without breaking the bank too bad.

You would run the 20" on the 261 correct? I almost bought a 20" B/C when I purchased the saw but thought it may be a little much.

You would run the 20" on the 261 correct? I almost bought a 20" B/C when I purchased the saw but thought it may be a little much.

Nope, I'd run it on the 661. I have a 261cm, and while I'm sure it'd pull a 20" if you asked it to, I'd rather have a little more power. The exception might be a 20" .325 bar if you wanted extra reach. Also, I'm talking about stock saws. A ported 261 would probably be very pleasant with a 20" bar.

Now a 661 is overkill for a 20" bar, no doubt about it, but if those are the two saws you've got, and you have a lot of firewood bucking to do in the 16-22" range, the 661 would be the only way to go in my opinion. It'll be fast and fun. I find myself leaving the 20" on my ported 660 until I need a bigger bar. Of course, I'm mostly a firewood guy. If I was felling trees, I'd absolutely be using a 28-32 bar.

I have an 044 that is now close to 20 years old and still runs like a top. I cut about 6 cord of wood a year with it mostly oak but also ash and I fell a lot of it and buck it up. I have a 25" bar on it and that is what I have run on it since I bought it new. I put on the double dogs on it and like having them. I have cut oak that is 48" with it and it has cut it nicely. Plenty of power. I do not doubt that the 661 will cut it better especially with a 32" bar. But this is the saw I have and I cannot justify having something more since I am not always cutting 48" wood.

Enjoy the 661. I am sure it will work very nicely for that big stuff.

Thanks everyone for all the insight. I'm going to order a 661 CM from my dealer with the 28" Lite Bar.

Here is why I'm going with the 661 461:

1. Better AV than the 461
2. Stainless Muffler
3. CM
4. More of dat ass

Some very smart people have pointed out here that the 461 is likely plenty of saw, and I believe it is. For the small weight penalty, however, I'm going to try the 661 as we really do have some massive oak trees here and I think that most of the time bucking and felling, the weight of the saw will be supported by the tree. For limbing and felling smaller trees I will use my 261. If the 661 proves to be too much saw, I'll wait and pick up the next generation of Stihl professional 70CC saw. I'll report back with saw **** when I get it.

I think you made a good choice,besides if you find it's too much saw you can always sell it here on the trading post. lol

I've never once wished my saw was less powerful,always buy the biggest saw you can afford because a big saw has no limitations, it will run any bar you want,a 661 is expensive but technically takes the place of all saws,little bar or biggun it don't care.
461 is a great saw but not that much lighter and not that much cheaper.

The mtronic is absolutely the only way to go for a work saw,I wouldn't buy a new one without it.

I ordered up my saws today. MS 661 CM with 20" and 25" ES Light bars and I ended up getting a 193T for my in tree saw. My dealer cut me (phrasing) a pretty sweet deal on both. I paid $1108.99 for the 661 w/ 25" ES Light bar and $288.99 for the 193T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both saws arrived today. The 661 is a real monster, I can't wait to get some work done with it. The messing around with the 193 in the garage the throttle response does seems a little little sluggish.

The Trio
35b413077d2e857abb417218dfc0144a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like felling and bucking wood with 32" saws. I liked my ported 372 and 440 best. My ported 066 did great to. Is use it on 4ft for trees.

Walking the tree while limbing is much easier with a 32" than a 20".

That said I've sold my 066's and only have 026 now. I'm currently building a 460.

Not sure I want anything to do with these heavy epa a saws

In big bivg wood more is better

Back