Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This looks really good and it's making me rethink how I stacked wood in my lean-to area on the back of my garage. I hate the fact that I'm considering restacking all the wood I have posted in my picture above.

Dont let my compulsion cause you more work.

There is a method to my madness.. Stacking it this way means as its removed from the lean too, I can reach the wood without having an avalanche coming at me or having to walk on it to get to it.

I am worried I am going to place to much pressure on the posts and pull it away from the wall. I think all subsequent rows will have the outside criss crossed....

Just finished splitting the load.

1 row complete and the second row in the foreground. Netted out to 200 cubic feet. Next load should be closer to 2 full cord. I took the sideboards off my dump trailer when I was bringing green wood home because of the weight.

Sent from a field
I cut about the same last year and didn't go through a quarter of it. Warm winters suck.

My processing area. The ash logs are mine. The rounds and smaller piles of mixed logs are my buddies. He doesn't have any room at his place so he's dropping loads here. Last count I have around 350 logs that are either 12' or 13'-4" long, and a big pile of limbwood. I cut into rounds and split all summer while it's warm.
IMG_20170413_130317.jpg IMG_20170413_130339.jpg IMG_20170413_130418.jpg IMG_20170413_130442.jpg

Rule 1. never lift the same log twice...

I was choppin a few rounds not thinking just doin when no1 son wanders up to help but looks & mentions um dad so why dont we set the trailer right beside the splitter,, then we can load the chunks direct into it,,, thanks son saving dads old back .. ;)

WP_20170414_003.jpg

WP_20170414_005.jpg

My processing area. The ash logs are mine. The rounds and smaller piles of mixed logs are my buddies. He doesn't have any room at his place so he's dropping loads here. Last count I have around 350 logs that are either 12' or 13'-4" long, and a big pile of limbwood. I cut into rounds and split all summer while it's warm.
View attachment 572668
how high can you stack logs on the wagon before it is to much weight ?

Trapper_Pete, it depends on the day. I usually try to haul 2 or 3 logs more than I should, just so that I can kick my own azz for being stupid. My Kubota is only 35 hp so it is usually much lighter than the load I'm trying to haul. I end up running out of traction and spin out. I have to do my hauling in the crop offseason so that means usually wet. I try to do most hauling in the winter when it's frozen but this year that never really happened. Tree species plays a part too. The poplar is full of water and heavier than the ash. I also cut cedar so can stack it up higher if the ground is frozen. I have 2 hills that I have to climb to get wood home.
IMG_20170115_135147.jpg IMG_20161204_122907.jpg IMG_20161211_163227.jpg IMG_20170115_133247.jpg

Pictures remind me of going hunting with a friend when we were young. He drove his Buick LaSabre out on the back corn field behind the pasture and the front end dropped to the frame. We about got the tractor with tire chains stuck, and had to rehook several times. We drug that car 300' before the front end came up, and tore the crap out of that field. I don't recall ever getting the guns out that afternoon.

Stratton, I don't keep track of what I burn. I burn a lot of junk wood and I burn year around. I heat 2 houses, both domestic hot water and a 24x 56' shop. My wife has windows open all winter long. Last year I sold about 10 or 12 trailer loads of wood, each a little over a full cord and I sold a couple of trailer loads of logs each trailer is about 2 cord. I had a lot more 16" split wood to sell but didn't work too hard at selling it so I have a bunch of campfire wood to sell this year. I plan on cutting at least 10 more cord of 16" wood to sell this year. I only sell enough to make my wife think that I'm trying to payback some of the equipment that I've bought or built.

No more double stacking. Had to try it though to find out.
Another pallet in the second row back, fell on top of the front row yesterday. When they do fall they pretty much screw the one up under it as well.
When I run out of room, it will be time to stop.
Hopefully deliveries will continue and open up some space as well.
Nine cord so far the last two weeks, at about four hours per cord.
Lots of clean up, and four deliveries.
Two 20 cord truck loads of logs coming that I've been making room for. Moved the cut tables out of the way for the trucks to get in. And of course some re-bundling to pick up and do while the tables are moved.
(If I was a welder, I would make the axle kits for the SuperSplit splitters to sell. I love it...absolutely love it.)
Very windy today, and a small Beach tree down in the circle driveway. IMG_4622 (1).jpgIMG_4628.jpgIMG_4621.jpg

No more double stacking. Had to try it though to find out.
Another pallet in the second row back, fell on top of the front row yesterday. When they do fall they pretty much screw the one up under it as well.
When I run out of room, it will be time to stop.
Hopefully deliveries will continue and open up some space as well.
Nine cord so far the last two weeks, at about four hours per cord.
Lots of clean up, and four deliveries.
Two 20 cord truck loads of logs coming that I've been making room for. Moved the cut tables out of the way for the trucks to get in. And of course some re-bundling to pick up and do while the tables are moved.
(If I was a welder, I would make the axle kits for the SuperSplit splitters to sell. I love it...absolutely love it.)
Very windy today, and a small Beach tree down in the circle driveway. View attachment 575892View attachment 575893View attachment 575896

You should keep an eye out on craigslight for some pallet racking. Or the cantelever stuff they use in home depot and lowes. You could cut 10' stuff down to 5 and make a row or something?

Very windy today, and a small Beach tree down in the circle driveway.
I could see the Beach from the kitchen window. About 1:00 pmIMG_4632.jpg IMG_4635.jpg IMG_4637.jpg the wind died down a bit and I got out to the wood lot. (Sometimes I second guess myself and think yeah it's windy but I could still go out and start.) This top came down in the access road less than 100' from where I split. I notched the back side and face cut it leaving a hinge. Then pulled it with the truck.

Cost is not a factor as used is pretty reasonable. It would require a lot of space between rows for access, and probably a concrete base.

If you laid down a good base of gravel and packed it, then got some 1'x1' patio stones you would be fine. To go the 1 high. Probable would stretch it for the 3rd though.

Or depending on where your at the concrete plants are always making the blocks from extra batchs could dig in some for a base and put the pallet rack on top

Much of it comes down to the expense of seasoning wood for someone else, and can that cost/trouble be recovered. It is costly, and it is a lot of work, verses split into a truck and deliver. It would require a concrete pad to do pallet racks at 1,000 pounds per pallet. Additional racks could be built as a row is filled, and taken down as wood is sold, to conserve space. That would require a bit of money to put in place.

For my situation, I need to change how I do deliveries.
After that...maybe a different spot, a larger area to work if it is doable. I've heard it said McDonalds is not in the hamburger business. They're in the real estate business. And in the end it seems that's where a lot of small business have their equity, because quite often the business is really just a person doing something. I cleared a bunch of Poplars for the space I'm using now, but the Beach, Oaks and Pines will stay, and this area will be repurposed as our kids see fit in the future. We are just enjoying it for now as it is. We are zoned residential so I have to be mindful of what I do, and keep things cleaned up as best I can.

Much of it comes down to the expense of seasoning wood for someone else, and can that cost/trouble be recovered. It is costly, and it is a lot of work, verses split into a truck and deliver. It would require a concrete pad to do pallet racks at 1,000 pounds per pallet. Additional racks could be built as a row is filled, and taken down as wood is sold, to conserve space. That would require a bit of money to put in place.

For my situation, I need to change how I do deliveries.
After that...maybe a different spot, a larger area to work if it is doable. I've heard it said McDonalds is not in the hamburger business. They're in the real estate business. And in the end it seems that's where a lot of small business have their equity, because quite often the business is really just a person doing something. I cleared a bunch of Poplars for the space I'm using now, but the Beach, Oaks and Pines will stay, and this area will be repurposed as our kids see fit in the future. We are just enjoying it for now as it is. We are zoned residential so I have to be mindful of what I do, and keep things cleaned up as best I can.

Yeah. if you where going to put money into Concrete you might as well make like a Bunker as they do for Chop, for Dairy darns or feed lots , then you could just use a loader to scop it up. and you can cut and split all you want till you need to load it. But yes how much money do you want to invest into seasoning wood for someone else.

I split onto my conveyor and it drops off the conveyor into a pile. My piles are around 18 to 20' tall but they are on a windy ridge and a gravel base. Also it's ash so dries pretty easily. I never stack the 16" stuff but I do handload it back onto the conveyor to drop into my dump trailer. This allows me to throw aside any junky or not pretty wood, and it keeps the splitter trash out of the trailer. Only takes about 15 minutes to do a load of just over a cord.
I think your shaded lot is causing you a lot of extra handling and expense. Might be worth considering renting a small piece of open land? Would you have bought the stacker if the moldy wood wasn't a problem?
I try to think of all my options before I do something. I was going to build a fast 16" splitter then I realized that I was just creating more work for myself. My owb can take 50" wood so why would I cut wood to only 16"? I built a reasonably fast 36" splitter with 4 way wedge. This saved me time every step of my process. When cutting and splitting wood at 32" long you can do a lot in a hurry. Stacking is also a lot faster, even refilling the owb is faster. Using my skids I have cut my handling way down.

Back