What's on your bench

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
No, these aren't chainsaws, but they do cut wood ;)

Yesterday afternoon was spent cleaning up these heads, re-profiling several of them, and putting a nice edge on all of them. They are all vintage Plumbs. The three on the left are all National patterns, top right is a 4 1/2# Puget Sound, Rockaway, Jersey, carpenters hatchets, and a hewing hatchet.

Plumbs.jpg

No, these aren't chainsaws, but they do cut wood ;)

Yesterday afternoon was spent cleaning up these heads, re-profiling several of them, and putting a nice edge on all of them. They are all vintage Plumbs. The three on the left are all National patterns, top right is a 4 1/2# Puget Sound, Rockaway, Jersey, carpenters hatchets, and a hewing hatchet.

View attachment 574952

they look great.
what process did you use to clean up the heads?

View attachment 574986 This was my grandfathers True Temper Kelley's. He got in in 1940 to work on a TVA land clearing project. I re-handled it today. I was excited because I came across this hickory handle at a hardware store, it had the grain running parallel with the cut.
Nice work looks better than a nos one i saw they are very popular here my dad could get them shaving sharp I've got only prefects i would like to find more designs they produced.

That was grandmas' axe
An old man i know retired from there 35+ years the made him a custom double bit stainless steel or chromed axe in a mahogany case they shut down in the early 80s

I have a 3/4 HP bench grinder with a Multitool belt grinder on one side and a 8" wire wheel on the other.

http://www.trick-tools.com/Multitool_2_x_36_inch_Belt_Grinder_Attachment_MT362_305
No pic, since I don't know if it would be advised on a 661c to advance the timing as Brad has recomended on most everything from ms-170 thru ms-880's ; but those were old style screw driver tune mostly and my understanding of my 90cc saw workings takes it into "Majic" since it works. Works different on need for a little warm up to idle well. Throws chips well, but MORE CC"s More speed less Time milling I hope ;if not - not:(
Thanks for any experience based advice:drinkingcoffee:

No pic, since I don't know if it would be advised on a 661c to advance the timing as Brad has recomended on most everything from ms-170 thru ms-880's ; but those were old style screw driver tune mostly and my understanding of my 90cc saw workings takes it into "Majic" since it works. Works different on need for a little warm up to idle well. Throws chips well, but MORE CC"s More speed less Time milling I hope ;if not - not:(
Thanks for any experience based advice:drinkingcoffee:
The 661 loves some timing advance.

The 661 loves some timing advance.
Brad thank you for a quick response. A man up at Iowa GTG recomended as a general idea to advance til pop back hurts too bad, then bring it back to last spot I could live with it. My older less $ involved saws I"ll try his theory, since his mighty mite "spoke" well about his skills.
There's a fellow within short drive who claims he has a good saw, we ought to get some cutting time to compare. Like to see how his 90 cc compares with mine, just for purely educational benifit .

Brad thank you for a quick response. A man up at Iowa GTG recomended as a general idea to advance til pop back hurts too bad, then bring it back to last spot I could live with it. My older less $ involved saws I"ll try his theory, since his mighty mite "spoke" well about his skills.
There's a fellow within short drive who claims he has a good saw, we ought to get some cutting time to compare. Like to see how his 90 cc compares with mine, just for purely educational benifit .
Depends on what coil you have on the ignition advance.
4701 will take much more than a 4700.
I pretty much only port 90cc saws and always have several here if you want to come run some.

Depends on what coil you have on the ignition advance.
4701 will take much more than a 4700.
I pretty much only port 90cc saws and always have several here if you want to come run some.
I will look,two 90cc saws are plenty for me jason. If I get a little older I may have to switch to using both hands on one saw lol

I will look,two 90cc saws are plenty for me jason. If I get a little older I may have to switch to using both hands on one saw lol
I ain't trying to sell you one,I'm saying if you ever want to run some saws come on down.
I port every day and always have 066's,064's and 394's and 395's and 661's here.
I put a tank or two through everyone before I send it home so I run saws everyday.
Come on down when you get time

On the bench: Homelite model 17 that won't rev up or idle, only runs rough at 1/4 throttle, needs more carb work I suspect. Mac 1-72 waiting for a full tear down. DB electric waiting for some chain. Mac 790, new carb, epoxied some cracked castings runs sweet.

20170423_171734.jpg

Gonna clean up some of these a bit better, gonna check the edge on the Walters, it might be taking a trip to a GTG, I dont think its been used B4.
Mostly German and Swedish steel here. Moreaxes.jpg
axe4.jpg axe5.jpg
Have to add the Walters was a flea market find from a fellow who looked to be 90,,he could care less what he got for it, was just cleaning house. I did a very light clean on it,,,

I ain't trying to sell you one,I'm saying if you ever want to run some saws come on down.
I port every day and always have 066's,064's and 394's and 395's and 661's here.
I put a tank or two through everyone before I send it home so I run saws everyday.
Come on down when you get time
Shoulda got in touch before Iowa GTG, plenty o room in mini van for more saws. You missed out on a lota good. Food was great companions sharing info, showing off how there work fared against others. Got a refresher on sharping chisel. But that leaves me with more chains than I swing a cat at to sharp, & maybe head east to Tennessee @ Masterminds GTG in October.

Back