Maruyama MCV51 / PS5105 Carb Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TS73

My other Husky is Siberian!
Reaction score
I just got my new mcv51 the other day and eliminated the cat-muffler. I then went to adjust the High\Low jets and found these weird metal nubs. I can adjust them with a very tiny pair of needle nose pliers - but what a miserable pain. I tried pulling them off - like maybe there a metal cover over a screw head but that didn't work. They do look to be perfectly round. My question: is there a tool or something I need to buy to adjust these, like the spline tool for the Husky/Poulans? Or any other ideas?
IMG_20170430_214617.jpg
I apologize for the poor picture - it's the best my Kindle will do.

Thanks - TS73

Dremel - not a bad option. I haven't found the right tool on ebay yet??? I'm not in a rush to use the saw - I have plenty of others to keep me going. But what bothers me is why waist the time putting carb adjustment holes in the side of the saw case if you can't adjust them. Thanks for the ideas!

The holes are there so you can adjust the screws with the proper screwdriver. You can thank the epa for making something easy into something difficult.

I have one of these saws also and haven't been able to pin one of these tools down on e-bay. I haven't spent a lot of
time looking but couldn't find an exact carb name in the dolmar IPL . I haven't seen the Maruyama IPL anywhere.
Great saw though at what I thought was a tremendous price, 329.00 shipped on Amazon. I guess I can say that here?
I plan on buying another one.

I went back to the garage with my reading glasses and a better flashlight. The carb is stamped DM20 - from my research I think its a Zama carb. I took another deeper look at the adjustment screws and down inside each screw looks to have a flat spot on opposing sides. I took a gamble and ordered a double d carb tool off eBay - maybe that will work. Should be delivered next Monday - we'll see. Thanks

I went back to the garage with my reading glasses and a better flashlight. The carb is stamped DM20 - from my research I think its a Zama carb. I took another deeper look at the adjustment screws and down inside each screw looks to have a flat spot on opposing sides. I took a gamble and ordered a double d carb tool off eBay - maybe that will work. Should be delivered next Monday - we'll see. Thanks
That's what you need. I got the whole set because with CAD you just can't have too many specialty tools. :crazy2:

I just got my new mcv51 the other day and eliminated the cat-muffler. I then went to adjust the High\Low jets and found these weird metal nubs. I can adjust them with a very tiny pair of needle nose pliers - but what a miserable pain. I tried pulling them off - like maybe there a metal cover over a screw head but that didn't work. They do look to be perfectly round. My question: is there a tool or something I need to buy to adjust these, like the spline tool for the Husky/Poulans? Or any other ideas?
View attachment 576600

Thanks - TS73

From what I am seeing in the picture is the single D jet screw. I just ordered one of these MCV51 chainsaws for myself. I will know soon enough. I have a question on the muffler. Where you able to drill the cat out from the exhaust port opening on the muffler, or did you have to take the can apart? I was just wondering if the set up was similar to Echo. With Echo, even the offside placement of the biscuit in the CS-450 can be drilled out without opening the can. Any similarities?

View attachment 576600

Thanks - TS73

If you can't find a tool on the internet, try the following as it worked for me on a Solo chainsaw that uses the same kind of EPA jet screws:

1. Get a 2-3" piece of 1/4" o.d. (1/8" i.d.) soft copper.
2. Drill the inside of one end out with a 3/16" drill. This will fit perfectly around the carb idle adjuster, but won't turn it.
3. Put the drilled out end against a vise or the garage floor and lightly hit it with a hammer until one side is flat and you get the D shape. Be careful, that copper is soft.
(I found that putting a small nail or brad into the drilled out end before tapping with a hammer helped to keep the tube round)
4. For ease of use, smash the other side of the tool flat.
5. Drill a small hole in the flat end and insert a small 1" nail into it for a handle. The handle really make it easy to make sure you have a good grip and are actually turning the adjuster.

Congratulations, now you have a D shaped tool that works and you can measure your turns. I learned this trick from a Louisiana Cajun who are all geniuses by birth.

From what I am seeing in the picture is the single D jet screw. I just ordered one of these MCV51 chainsaws for myself. I will know soon enough. I have a question on the muffler. Where you able to drill the cat out from the exhaust port opening on the muffler, or did you have to take the can apart? I was just wondering if the set up was similar to Echo. With Echo, even the offside placement of the biscuit in the CS-450 can be drilled out without opening the can. Any similarities?

I read on another thread on Arborsite - one fella used a chisel and a good set of channel locks and pried opened the can slowly and carefully, that's what I did. It worked great! After it was open - I did not cut out the whole cat tube. I simply forced a set of needle nose pliers into the center of the cat material and twisted, until like spaghetti it was wrapped around the pliers and I pulled it all out. I also drilled a couple of holes to open up the first inner exhaust hole. I then used the channel locks and my vise to re-crimp everything back together. Took about a half hour.

If you can't find a tool on the internet, try the following as it worked for me on a Solo chainsaw that uses the same kind of EPA jet screws:

1. Get a 2-3" piece of 1/4" o.d. (1/8" i.d.) soft copper.
2. Drill the inside of one end out with a 3/16" drill. This will fit perfectly around the carb idle adjuster, but won't turn it.
3. Put the drilled out end against a vise or the garage floor and lightly hit it with a hammer until one side is flat and you get the D shape. Be careful, that copper is soft.
(I found that putting a small nail or brad into the drilled out end before tapping with a hammer helped to keep the tube round)
4. For ease of use, smash the other side of the tool flat.
5. Drill a small hole in the flat end and insert a small 1" nail into it for a handle. The handle really make it easy to make sure you have a good grip and are actually turning the adjuster.

Congratulations, now you have a D shaped tool that works and you can measure your turns. I learned this trick from a Louisiana Cajun who are all geniuses by birth.

Thanks - That's what I love about this site - there's always somebody who's "been there and done that" who has all the answers. - Thanks for the idea.

I read on another thread on Arborsite - one fella used a chisel and a good set of channel locks and pried opened the can slowly and carefully, that's what I did. It worked great! After it was open - I did not cut out the whole cat tube. I simply forced a set of needle nose pliers into the center of the cat material and twisted, until like spaghetti it was wrapped around the pliers and I pulled it all out. I also drilled a couple of holes to open up the first inner exhaust hole. I then used the channel locks and my vise to re-crimp everything back together. Took about a half hour.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/easy-dolmar-5100-5105-510-460-muffler-mod.273951/

Search eBay for Chainsaw carb adjusting tool set. You get splined, PAC man and double d. $6.88 shipped.

Back