Some Simple Tools to Teach Chainsaw Safety

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice touch with the knob on the crank for demonstrations! Dont forget safe starting. Lots of folks have trouble with starting, and after having a larger cc saw come around on me while drop starting, I jusr wont do that anymore. I start them on the ground with my foot in the rear handle.

Thanks Guys a lot of good info. One thing that comes to mind is that there are very few things in this world that are more unhandy than a left handed man with a chainsaw. Makes safety even more of an issue

Thanks Guys a lot of good info. One thing that comes to mind is that there are very few things in this world that are more unhandy than a left handed man with a chainsaw.
Good point.
Apparently, there were a few chainsaws made with the bar on the left side, but those were a long time ago.
I have seen some 'helpful user pamphlets' in a large chain store that suggested lefties use their left hand on the trigger - I sent them a note: they never responded, but pulled those pamphlets. I have also met folks who said that 'no one ever told them different'. All of the user and instruction books are pretty clear now: Right hand on the Rear handle.

Philbert

Thread Bump . . .

These are more for teaching about chainsaw operation and maintenance, which is related to safe use.
- worn sprockets to compare with new ones (several people did not understand when to replace them by a verbal description alone);
- nose sprockets: to describe different pitches, wear, etc. (*I need to make a cut-away model of a nose sprocket showing all of the bearings!*);
- scored piston: to discuss effects of straight gassing, lean seizures, etc.;
- carburetor: to explain choke versus throttle plates, idle adjustments, etc. *I also have all of the parts of a disassembled carb in a zip-lock baggie to show how how complicated they can be, as well as to mention gaskets, diaphragms, etc.:
fuel filter: to show how small the pores are in the ceramic element:
- etc..
Parts for Teaching.jpg

Other items could include fouled spark plugs, or anything else of interest that is hard to show on an assembled saw (clutches, oil pumps, needle bearings, crank shafts, . . . ). These parts are essentially free, as they were intercepted on the way to the scrap / recycling bins. If you don't have what you need, most servicing dealers should be able to give some to you (might have to assure them that they are not for resale or warranty purposes).

I also have a partial pair of chaps that I bring, so that people can see what the protective fibers look like. These were retired chaps left over from doing a demo (*note: can really jam up the nose sprocket on the guide bar too - plan for this, or use a hard nose (no sprocket) bar: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/nose-sprocket-rescue-illustrated.256640/ )

Philbert

Micro cracks in the case that can leak oil or fuel or air. Those bit me hard cutting up oakzilla, was leaking oil down low and it just blended in with the chips. Caused the chain to heat up rapidly and then cut squirrelly. Just about impossible to see until the case was heated up with a heat gun and really cleaned well, my local husky main wrench found them. Took him awhile, too, and I never saw them. Now that it is fixed it cuts a lot better, the chain gets all the oil now, not half. So, deep cleaning, even below the flywheel and clutch, and intense inspection can pay off.

Chain Angle Gauge

In another thread, member @Wow posted a simple tool he made to verify chain angles when sharpening. Although, there are angle guides built into some depth gauge tools, his version was so simple that it appealed to me for training new sawyers how to sharpen.

Visited a local home center that sells aluminum channel and chainsaws. The 1/4" channel fit over 3/8 low profile ('Picco') chains, but the 3/8" channel also fit over .325 and full sized 3/8 pitch chains. About $6 for 4 feet. Cut them off at about 4" with a mitre / chop saw, and got 12 of them (about .50 each).

IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg
IMG_1696.jpg
IMG_1697.JPG

Philbert

Refresh,,,
Plastic wedges.
Steering the tree as it falls.
Don’t cut through the hinge.
Safety gear can’t stress that enough.
If it’s too windy the job can wait another day.
Don’t drop your wornout files on the ground, flat tires.
A 50 cal ammo can make a good chainsaw tool box. Paint it safety orange.
Peavy bars work too. Paint the handle safety orange.
Your choker chains paint the ends safety orange.
Energy drinks and snacks in the truck.
A good first aid kit.
Clear your mind and only think about what your about to do. Is it safe?

Latest posts

Back