Reliable Mid Size Stump Grinder...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A1Stumpgrinding

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking for a slightly used 44hp+ stump grinder. Does anyone have any recommendations on a reliable, well designed machine, or which models to steer clear of. I've operated a Deutz powered Carlton 7015 a few times and love it but the owner seems to be constantly throwing money into it. I'm trying to avoid being in that situation.a
Any experience and knowledge would be really appreciated!

Carlton 4012, with the 44hp diesel. Or, the Carlton 7015, with one of the big Kubota diesels on it. These two machines are probably the best machines of their size, that you can buy. In my opinion, no other brand else even comes close.

Like many other machines, but stumpers in particular, no matter the brand, are money-annihilator-machines.

Thanks guys. I've owned a 1625 Rayco for 10 years now and even though it's an awesome little machine, it's time for something more productive.

We have a nice 2015 Bandit 2550 with the 44hp Kubota on it. I haven't used it but I know the Bandit 2450 Kubota diesels were awesome machines. I would say in that HP range, anything with that V1505 Kubota on it would be a solid choice.

Carlton 4012 with a 44hp kubota hands down.

If I could teach this machine to cook I'd leave my wife.

Obviously a 7015 would get me on the the next job faster, but I think the 4012 has plenty of power to take on any stump and is still small enough to maneuver in tight back yards and light enough to leave lawns prestine.

I'm assuming that a 44hp machine will be a decent step up from my 25hp. I guess I'm still not sure if I should with a 44hp machine or go 60+. Decisions, decisions.

I'm assuming that a 44hp machine will be a decent step up from my 25hp. I guess I'm still not sure if I should with a 44hp machine or go 60+. Decisions, decisions.

I made the same jump you did from a 1625 to my 4012 and it's big enough for me to be really happy. Once you get the hang of it and dial in the sweep speeds to your liking, the thing is a beast. I'm not sure about you, but I used to stall my 1625 probably once every other week. The carlton you have to really really **** up to stall that machine. Iv mindlessly pulled forward when repositioning into a stump with the cutter wheel too low. My 1625 would have bit, jumped bogged and stalled, but the carlton 4012 just makes a kerf cut into the stump.

I debate in a few years upgrading again to a larger machine, but more and more I think about it, I think I'll stick with this class of hp. I get though jobs quick enough to make money, rarely lose jobs to not being the lower bid, and all of that with a $30k machine vs a $50k or whatever the 7015s are going for.

Only gripe with a 4012 is the swing sweep, and its a little clunky to maneuver. The swing speed they improved on with the new 5014.

Thank you for sharing your experience, I appreciate it! I guess that I just have to get my hands on a 44hp demo machine to really make up my mind. I'm definitely intrigued now since a majority of my jobs seem to be in nice residential settings where I can see a large machine being a hinderance.

Back