Peterson DWS, Slabbing Sawmill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motomarco

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,

Rather new to the forum and I though I would ask for some input regarding a dedicated slabbing mill. I have been running a chainsaw mill for about a year now and I have had good results. I am currently running a 3120XP with a 42" and 72" Cannon Bars. I use a 48" Panther Mill and custom 80/20 Aluminum extrusion for the 72" bar. I have been able to cut nice flat slabs with both set ups, but the more I mill the more I would like to have a mill that is easier on my back.

At first I was considering a bandsaw mill because the low waste of the thin kerf is really attractive, I loose about a slab per log I mill with my CSM, and that equates to a lot of money really quickly. I have read that the bandsaw blade can dive and give you a really bad cut, but that may be a result of running a dull blade. The biggest problem is he majority of bandsaw mills are designed for timber harvesting and not slabbing, so the capacity is typically around 36". So this somewhat rules out the BSM for now..

The Lucas and Peterson mill have pulled my interest. I like that they are four stroke, the giant capacity, the easy of changing cut depth, and the portability and fast setup. Does anyone have experience running either the Lucas or Peterson? I am leaning towards the Peterson because of the frame and carriage design, it seems much more robust, and it seems to vibrate a lot less in the videos I have seen.

Are there any issues with bar sagging? The Peterson is significantly more expensive than the Lucas. The Peterson with 27Hp motor and 74" cutting width is about $14,500 while the Lucas with the 23Hp 72" cutting width is about $10,000 USD. The price for the Peterson really does seem a bit high, but I do understand you get what you pay for, I just want to make sure what I pay for is what I am promised I am getting.

Does anyone own the Peterson DWS? Can anyone chime in?

Thanks,

Marco

Howdy,
I've ran and sold both machines. I'll leave it to the owner / operators for insight and opinions but, I thought I could shed a little light on a few features that set them apart. The materials on the DWS are all stainless steel and aluminum (no plastic, no corrosion). The DWS uses a jackshaft system get the chain speed up to chainsaw type fps, thereby utilizing more of the available engine torque. We've been assembling here in the US so we many options to customize or, upgrade to your usage. Between the 3 engine brands available for the DWS there are 7 options for horsepower. We're actually in the middle of assembling a DWS ASM for customer just north of us that cuts high end monster slabs. It's a DWS with the electric winch production frame and a Hi/Lo power driven tracks. I'll make sure and get some pictures and videos when it's up and slabbing. I almost forgot that you had mentioned bar sag. The machine I was just describing will be testing with a bar tensioner. So when your setting up the mill, you actually tension the bar first, then install the chain an adjust it independently.
Regards
Gregg

Howdy,
I've ran and sold both machines. I'll leave it to the owner / operators for insight and opinions but, I thought I could shed a little light on a few features that set them apart. The materials on the DWS are all stainless steel and aluminum (no plastic, no corrosion). The DWS uses a jackshaft system get the chain speed up to chainsaw type fps, thereby utilizing more of the available engine torque. We've been assembling here in the US so we many options to customize or, upgrade to your usage. Between the 3 engine brands available for the DWS there are 7 options for horsepower. We're actually in the middle of assembling a DWS ASM for customer just north of us that cuts high end monster slabs. It's a DWS with the electric winch production frame and a Hi/Lo power driven tracks. I'll make sure and get some pictures and videos when it's up and slabbing. I almost forgot that you had mentioned bar sag. The machine I was just describing will be testing with a bar tensioner. So when your setting up the mill, you actually tension the bar first, then install the chain an adjust it independently.
Regards
Gregg
A bar tensioner system would be incredible. Very excited to see how you do it.

Hi Gents,

We are looking at both mills as well and were curious if you made a decision Marco? If so, what are your thoughts on the mill?

Gregg - were you able to take some photos/videos of the setup you discussed in your post? I would be interested in checking them out as we would be after the same setup.

Thank you

Howdy,
We plan on being up in Fortuna a week from tomorrow at the machine I mentioned. I'm not sure where you're at but, Fortuna about a couple hours from the border. You're welcome to come check it out. Like I had mentioned he bought a automated DWS. The owner was just in here last week saying he might have a market for large, long beams. So, we're going up there with a automated swing blade mill and another 20' of track. He would be able to handle 5' diameter 38' long logs. Now besides being able to also cut dimensional lumber and beams, he can plain and sand any dry wood he's slabbing without taking it out of the mill. I've set up the DWS to work on wireless remote so it can be operated from the far end of the mill.
Regards
Gregg

Attachments

• 20170605_092340.jpg
    20170605_092340.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 21
Howdy,
Got a video of the machine we've been talking about.

https://youtu.be/7aVk9ttaML4

This is stage one of the automated mill we're developing for this miller. When completed after the addition of ASM to the DWS, he will be able to handle 6' Diameter 44' long logs. It will be able to cut slabs, cut dimensional lumber, plane, and sand any dimension in between.

Regards
Gregg

Attachments

• 88C0C.jpg
    88C0C.jpg
    913.6 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back