Any one cut fire wood with a "vintage" saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recall a few years back watching an older fellow cutting firewood with his circa 1952 McCulloch. It ran so slowly that you could watch the cutters riding along the bar. Regardless, he heated his whole house with firewood. Several of his saws were from this era. I tried to upgrade him to a newer model as a gift, but he never used it.

I run 40 year old saws all the time. My 7-10 is 46 years old, my Pro Mac 55 is 43 years old, my 10-10 auto is 42 years old, my Pro Mac 60 is 42 years old. Is that vintage enough ?? They may be slow but they keep on running, the plastic won't melt (ain't none), the neighbors stay away when I'm running them. I see people walk by with fingers stuck in their ears. Great saws for privacy.

Mac Super 250 is 8-8500 rpm, the PM 700 I'm not sure but it's got to be around 10k+ rpm I'm guessing. Both are excellent blocking saws for firewood, the Super 250 really shines in the big stuff with the 32" bar and .404 full skip, but it's just as fun with the 17" bar too. The Husky 2100/2101 is governed to 10k, and those were made from the late 70's/early 90's. I've heard of people removing the governor (it's in the carb if memory serves right) and the saw holding together ok. Mine is a good strong running one already so it's getting left alone, pulls a 36" with 3/8" full skip buried no problem.

A few months back a fellow AS member and I tacked 4 82cc MACs. 2 PM800s, a PM850 and a DE80. Max no load (no chain - rpm read off clutch) almost 12,900, 12,300, 12,500 and 10,000 respectively. 12,900 saw was probably a little too lean. We learned later that the DE80 carbs have a built-in governor thus its lower speed. All except the DE80 were at least 35 years old. DE80 is at least 27 years old.

Ron

So has anyone bought these saws in the last 10 years? Are they worth buying on eBay? If I see one at a garage sale or in the garbage I'll be all over it.
What kind of saws do you mean, old ones? Find them all the time. Some fire right up, others need carb kit and maybe crank seals. You just want to stay away from the ones with problematic carbs or could.

Idk is it worth spending the eBay money on an old homelite or husqvarna and so on? I still split wood by hand and chop trees down occasionally with an axe. The thought of an old saw seems cool to me. The thought of buying a slow cutting unsafe saw seems sketchy. EBay isn't cheap so if I find one at a yard sale for 10$ id do that. Should I consider buying one of these old beasts online?

Idk is it worth spending the eBay money on an old homelite or husqvarna and so on? I still split wood by hand and chop trees down occasionally with an axe. The thought of an old saw seems cool to me. The thought of buying a slow cutting unsafe saw seems sketchy. EBay isn't cheap so if I find one at a yard sale for 10$ id do that. Should I consider buying one of these old beasts online?
You can probably find one locally or through a member. Heck I have a couple I'd let you have for free or cheap if you are interested.

Keep an eye on local auctions to find saws. Got a nice Ole Blue model XL12 for $25.00 the other day. Bone dry tank with some fresh gas and idle adjust she good to go.

I've had people give me XL 923 and XL 924's. A couple C5's and a C72. XL 12's are all over the place. I picked up a Homelite 7-29 a couple years ago for $60 at a farm auction, a member here offered me $800 for it, so it now lives in Australia. I think any saw in the 90CC range and bigger is desirable, Joe.

I have a P28 Pioneer that was my grandfathers...I try to run it once every month or two to keep the fuel fresh. It always fires right up, and with a razor sharp chain it is a pleasure to run. Sure its heavy and loud, but its comfortable to use for bucking. Runs an 18" bar I think. Its a novelty! I only bring it out to cut when I know I am not pressed for time or productivity.

I run 40 year old saws all the time. My 7-10 is 46 years old, my Pro Mac 55 is 43 years old, my 10-10 auto is 42 years old, my Pro Mac 60 is 42 years old. Is that vintage enough ?? They may be slow but they keep on running, the plastic won't melt (ain't none), the neighbors stay away when I'm running them. I see people walk by with fingers stuck in their ears. Great saws for privacy.
you were old when those saws were made jonesy. :buttkick:

20170513_173714_resized.jpg
So has anyone bought these saws in the last 10 years? Are they worth buying on eBay? If I see one at a garage sale or in the garbage I'll be all over it.
if you can wrench on them if they need it they are fun. these 2 just showed up for me and my buddy to play with. 65 and 85 cc.
20170513_173558_resized.jpg 20170513_173653_resized.jpg

My cousin got these two at an auction for $1. He gave them to me and I gave the C5 to a friend. He bought a 30" bar and two loops of milling chain and is using it to mill with.

This is one of my two Homelite Super 1050's that my Dad bought new in the early 70's. One I still use now and then. We gutted the mufflers to ring every bit of power out of the 100CC's we could. They are loud.

This is a pile of saws a friend gave me. The big one in the middle is a Super Wiz 77, last year made 1970. It had good spark and compression. It fired when I put a shot of mix in it. It had a 42 inch bar and 95C's. Some low life stole it, Joe.

Back