Fungus Prevention on milled lumber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marshy

285 Killa
Reaction score
Anyone have a preference on brand or chemical they use for treating their milled lumber to prevent fungus growth? I'm thinking something water soluble so I can use a weed sprayer for easy application.

Best preventative I've found is to get the slabs stickered & stacked ASAP, to get the surface MC on the way down, at least. On some sugar maple recently, initial drying conditions weren't great. Some of the faces got fuzzy with fungi. Really fuzzy.

I ran them through a planer for a couple passes (helped with thickness consistency too). That trimmed off the surface fuzzies, and the lumber continues to dry nicely.

I've seen it written that a prime motivator for drying lumber is to retard fungal growth. Get the MC down enough, below fiber saturation, and they're history.

Unfortunately the pile was stacked and stickered in a garage but I don't thing it was getting enough air changes. Combine that with an abnormally wet spring and you'll get mold. The air flow situation is going to get corrected going forward but since it already has some mold we wanted to get it sprayed. Any new lumber going into the garage will get sprayed as a preventative measure before stacking.

Latest posts

Back