025 Stihl. What bar and chain to get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alteran

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an 025 that was given to me and I need to replace the bar, chain and sprocket.
I'm wondering might size and type of chain my be best for my use.
I'll be using it a few days a year to limb trees I'll fell with my new Jonsered 2152. I may use it to fell some trees up to 16 inches diameter.
It will be my second saw to use when I want a lighter one or someplace I don't care to take my new saw.

Narrow kerf? What guage? What style cutters?
I'm not interested in safety chain.

Baileys has a sale coming next week and I want to get it ordered.
Thanks for your help!

The .325 0.063 Stihl RSC (or RMC) chain works real well on that saw... 16 bar... 18 if you need to fell 16 inch trees...

Well, finally Oregon have made the Micro-Lite Pro bars available in the small Stihl mount - so there is little doubt that the this bar and a 95VP chain will b a great upgrade on the 250, for cutting speed......;)

Also, stay at 16" and less.

Btw, the standard setup on the 250 here is 14" bar and 25RM/RMC - with that setup, it is really slow, compared to comparable Huskys, with 95VP chain.

Last edited:
Well, you nare on the US West Coast, but I can imagine how the balance is, with an 18" on a 250 - really bad news..........:buttkick: :buttkick: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :sword:

It's fine... slightly nose heavy which is where is should be. 16 or 18 is just splitting hairs. It's just a nice small package homowner saw..

Hey I say go with the Stihl Rollomatic Standard or Oregon Pro Lite 18" with some 26RSC 68 or 22LP 68. It will rip like a bat outta hell with that setup. That was my big saw back in highschool and college for firewood cutting for the house and for sale.

It's fine... slightly nose heavy which is where is should be. 16 or 18 is just splitting hairs. It's just a nice small package homowner saw..

:sword: :sword: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :ices_rofl:

Not - 14" is about perfect, but those saws are crap anyway.....:bang: :bang:

You also have to remember on smaller Stihls an 18" bar has a 16" cutting surface. My 16" 026 can use my old 18" 025 chains....

You also have to remember on smaller Stihls an 18" bar has a 16" cutting surface. My 16" 026 can use my old 18" 025 chains....

Don't know about that, but the 13" for 260 and larger has the same number of dl as the 14" for the 250......

Btw, "called" length of bars hardly ever match the reality - it is often off one way, or the other.....

Husky 15" ones are longer than Stihl ones, at 16" they are the same (or Stihl slightly longer), at 18" the Husky ones are longer, and at 20" they are the same .......

Last edited:
Man, I hate to get in this one, but wouldn't a 16" 3/8 lo pro work nice too?
-Ralph

Yep! It's standard on the 023

Stihl doesn't offer it on the MS250 in the USA though as the HP of the saw "exceeds their rating for Picco"... but I know of some that mill with it on 066's.. Lawyers...

Ok Andy, lemme ask you this, Is a stock (muff modded) 026 pro too much for a 16" 3/8 picco?
-Ralph

Latest posts

Back