damaged piston/cylinder? husqvarna 254xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will post pictures, it should be correct but I am no expert.
Spraying brake cleaner, do you mean into hole from airfilter?

Thx ☺

I think Bill and Eric have it right. Something in the carb is allowing too much fuel to pass through the metering gauge. You need to start from scratch. Pull the plug out and flip saw upside down over head. And pull the starter rope a few times to drain case. Let it sit upside down with the piston at TDC or as open as possible to dry. Then disconnect fuel line and force a eye dropper full of mix down the plug hole or carb. Give it a few pulls and see if it pops and runs away burning the dropper of fuel off. I've had a few that won't pop until case is "dry" of liquid. I've had a few that were locked so bad you thought they were seized. Drain dry and start....fix metering level and off we go

Had it open since last nite. 10 hours at least. This time fuel line was disconnected. Nothing even with gas directly into plug hole.

It bothers me a little that this was the issue, more or less, from before i even started the repairs.

If theres a chance that it might be the ignition coil i will order a new. Im guessing it is the original one still on. Looks old. I spend more money on the repair than i should already. Might as well learn from it and get it working now.

removed cylinder and checked, cleaned it etc. Still nothing, not a fart of anything.
Slowly giving up on it :(

back to basics.. compression spark fuel... if you have compression and you have fuel... flooded or not flooded... then it must be an issue with spark. either the ignition coil is bad, wire is bad, somehow its "off" all the time because of a short, or the timing is off possibly due to a sheared key.

flooded can look like no spark... which is why we were chasing that. dump all the fuel out the cylinder head ...with the spark plug out, turn the saw upside down and rotate the piston through several revolutions with the starter. if fuel comes out, thats good. at least its getting fuel. could be too much. what you tested earlier with the fuel line pinched was if it was indeed too much. one of the first things I do when I put a saw together, before I put gas in it, is put brake cleaner down the throat ...in the air horn...just a couple squirts. try to start it. if it pops, you know you have spark and compression. so, do the same thing. if you don't get a pop, and you KNOW you compression, then you gotta investigate the spark issue.

timing, spark plug gap, bad wire, bad coil ... lotta issues

removed cylinder and checked, cleaned it etc. Still nothing, not a fart of anything.
Slowly giving up on it :(
Giving up is not part of the analysis. Sorry. Nothing gets learned by giving up. This is just a cross word puzzle to us. We like a challenging puzzle.
Isolate spark fuel combustion and air systems one by one. Easy peasy.

Thanks for clearing all that up.

Timing... Will try to set up a wheel if needed

Conpression, hum. Can't test it properly. Only assume its good, as ive changed seals etc.

Plug gab, its a brand new plug, will check if its similar to old.

Wire, there is a slight tear in the grounding wire on the ign. Coil. Issue?

Ign. Coil. Can't test any further then seeing a blue spark. Might be weak spark... Trying to find a replacement for it now, seems a bit rare for the XP model.

Latest posts

Back